Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
So having issues with PaaK right now, so had to quickly move my car and didn't feel like running upstairs to grab my key.

Used my phone to remotely unlock the car (that does still work)... opened car door... and found the car was fully in "accessory mode" meaning that the car was fully usable - get into settings, radio, phone connected, etc.

I had been expecting a password prompt to unlock the car and start it... but I was never able to get a prompt. If I tried to turn on the car, it'd say "no key" but never prompted me for backup password.

This seems like a concerning security risk... this a bug??
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The car can’t be driven in accessory mode. If you’re that concerned someone will change your radio station, then perhaps remote unlocking isn’t your thing.

On the other hand, remote unlock shouldn’t do any more than unlock the car. So the being in accessory mode part is weird.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There is a documented issue whereby PAAK isn't working. No password prompt comes up until after repeated tries.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The car shouldn't be in Accessory mode if you didn't press the start button. However, the center screen (and radio) will come on if you press the power or volume knob on it, even with the car off. I assume that's so a passenger can bump tunes when left in the car without the key.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
From a security perspective you did unlock the car so it is not a security issue except for the time between you unlocking the car and entering it. Did you press on the brake and press start button after you received the no key detected message? Owners manual states to repeat that step if the password prompt does not come up. If you think about it the display would need to activate in order for you to enter the backup staring password. This does not appear to be an issue but I will be interested to see how others respond.

OP
OP

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So I definitely did not press remote start.

Unlock via Fordpass...wait for doors to unlock... get in... saw swirling logos on both screens... then I held brake and pressed start. Error message of "No Key" and then the main screen came on (kinda in an odd state, things took a while to load, etc.) and then the main screen was fully functional. Was able to tap into car settings, poke around... the screen over the steering wheel remained "off"ish (just the error about no key)

Tried brake+start button multiple times... tried just power button... pressing the power button without brake turned off the car... pressing brake+power again turned the main screen back on and "no key" warning back

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Unlock via Fordpass...wait for doors to unlock... get in... saw swirling logos on both screens... then I held brake and pressed start. Error message of "No Key" and then the main screen came on (kinda in an odd state, things took a while to load, etc.) and then the main screen was fully functional. Was able to tap into car settings, poke around... the screen over the steering wheel remained "off"ish (just the error about no key)

Tried brake+start button multiple times... tried just power button... pressing the power button without brake turned off the car... pressing brake+power again turned the main screen back on and "no key" warning back
That sounds like normal operation except for the backup start code not appearing. Are you sure you have a backup code set?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Here's the test to alleviate your concerns.

1) Unlock via FordPass.
2) Turn off your phone (don't rely on Airplane mode).
3) Get in, do the same process, and see what you can change.

I believe that PaaK is working enough to get into accessory mode, but not start the car.

OP
OP

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The car can’t be driven in accessory mode. If you’re that concerned someone will change your radio station, then perhaps remote unlocking isn’t your thing.

On the other hand, remote unlock shouldn’t do any more than unlock the car. So the being in accessory mode part is weird.
Could change settings...could you do a master reset? etc. etc.

Yeah, obviously, feel free to enjoy some jams... but don't mess with the settings! :)

OP
OP

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That sounds like normal operation except for the backup start code not appearing. Are you sure you have a backup code set?
yep...use it regularly since fordpass stopped being my friend...

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
So having issues with PaaK right now, so had to quickly move my car and didn't feel like running upstairs to grab my key.

Used my phone to remotely unlock the car (that does still work)... opened car door... and found the car was fully in "accessory mode" meaning that the car was fully usable - get into settings, radio, phone connected, etc.

I had been expecting a password prompt to unlock the car and start it... but I was never able to get a prompt. If I tried to turn on the car, it'd say "no key" but never prompted me for backup password.

This seems like a concerning security risk... this a bug??
Hello, Mike!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this PAAK concern. Thanks!

OP
OP

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Here's the test to alleviate your concerns.

1) Unlock via FordPass.
2) Turn off your phone (don't rely on Airplane mode).
3) Get in, do the same process, and see what you can change.

I believe that PaaK is working enough to get into accessory mode, but not start the car.
OK did the following test:
1) Unlock via fordpass
2) left phone and key in my house and went to car (far enough out of range)
3) Got into car - looks like it was accessory mode, DID get a password prompt
4) Tried turning car and off a few times... did NOT make password prompt disappear
5) Turned off car, opened car door (believe this does a full shutdown), then tried to turn on again (brake + power)
6) was able to get into full settings... though looked like it was a "view only" mode - couldn't make any changes but could navigate anywhere
7) about 30 seconds later did get a password prompt... its almost as if it's a timer or when you do a certain action it'll sometimes prompt for the password

So couldn't fully replicate the same behavior as before, but some inconsistencies for sure.
Sponsored