BATTERIESRIT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry
Country flag
I believe the Owner’s Manual says to unplug the car charger from the wall, whether 110 or 220, at the conclusion of the charge.
Are owners doing this and if left plugged in, is that unsafe? I can not imagine someone inserting either one into a wall outlet daily.
The outlet may not be that accessible and it may not be that easy for an older person. If it needs to be unplugged, then why not build an
on/off switch on the cord before the charger instead? Future electricians may want to include an wall switch for this outlet.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I believe the Owner’s Manual says to unplug the car charger from the wall, whether 110 or 220, at the conclusion of the charge.
Are owners doing this and if left plugged in, is that unsafe? I can not imagine someone inserting either one into a wall outlet daily.
The outlet may not be that accessible and it may not be that easy for an older person. If it needs to be unplugged, then why not build an
on/off switch on the cord before the charger instead? Future electricians may want to include an wall switch for this outlet.
Almost nobody does this. We usually leave the EVSE plugged in to whatever outlet is powering it.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
The funny part about your post is that the "charger" (which is not a charger it all, the charger is inside the car) is literally itself just a switch. EVSEs, which are "chargers" you use at home are simply a box that tells the car what amperage and voltage it is allowed to draw. The car communicates with it to say it's ready to start charging and then all the EVSE is doing is closing a switch to directly connect the car to the power outlet. No conversion of the electricity happens at all inside the "charger"

You are perfectly fine leaving it plugged in, no need for a switch on the outlet or circuit that it's connected to

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
When I bought my C-Max, I plugged in the 110V EVSE that came with it and left it plugged in for the next 6 ears. No problems.

OP
OP

BATTERIESRIT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry
Country flag
When I bought my C-Max, I plugged in the 110V EVSE that came with it and left it plugged in for the next 6 ears. No problems.
The funny part about your post is that the "charger" (which is not a charger it all, the charger is inside the car) is literally itself just a switch. EVSEs, which are "chargers" you use at home are simply a box that tells the car what amperage and voltage it is allowed to draw. The car communicates with it to say it's ready to start charging and then all the EVSE is doing is closing a switch to directly connect the car to the power outlet. No conversion of the electricity happens at all inside the "charger"

You are perfectly fine leaving it plugged in, no need for a switch on the outlet or circuit that it's connected to
thank you

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Can you post a screenshot or page where this is in the manual? I can't find this and was looking for similar info. I know Tesla recommends leaving the car plugged in at all times for battery health so trying to figure out what Ford recommends for the MME

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Can you post a screenshot or page where this is in the manual? I can't find this and was looking for similar info. I know Tesla recommends leaving the car plugged in at all times for battery health so trying to figure out what Ford recommends for the MME
i think it says leave it plugged in when at home. otherwise you will start to lose charge and eventually go dead it you leave it unplugged long enough.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
i think it says leave it plugged in when at home. otherwise you will start to lose charge and eventually go dead it you leave it unplugged long enough.
Thanks I'm trying to find anything like that in the manual but no luck so far

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I always make it a point to unplug before driving off. Before then? Whenever.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Once charged, especially in winter, leave it plugged in, in order to condition off house electricity rather than car battery. More important if embarking on road trip next day.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
unplug the car charger from the wall
For a hardwired EVSE, that is obviously impossible. For a NEMA 14-50 outlet you'd be doing more harm than good as those plugs aren't meant to be mated on a daily cycle and the pins are long and you're exposing yourself to an unnecessary shock hazard if your finger slipped while applying the force necessary to unplug it.

Also, the car will only pull power when it wants to. The car takes power from the EVSE; the EVSE doesn't give power to the car (semantics). Much like how your standard wall outlet can provide 1,440 W (120 V @ 12 A), but if you have a 60 W lightbulb plugged into it, that's all it will use. If the car is full, it won't do anything with the wall plug.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Once charged, especially in winter, leave it plugged in, in order to condition off house electricity rather than car battery. More important if embarking on road trip next day.
While the Mach E has enough range this usually won’t be an issue, there are two important times to leave the car in until departure:
  • When you will want to climate condition the car using “shore power” to heat/cool the car without using battery
  • When you need all the range you can get, like the start of a long trip

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
If you leave it plugged in set your charge % lower as not
to be at 100 % full charge.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
The MMe is currently not capable of 100%. Only ~88kWh usable (of actual 98.8kWh) at 100% which equates to ~89% of actual total.
Theoretically* 1P regenerative braking should be available at 100%. Not so if you actually charged to 100%. There is nowhere to put the energy when 100% charged. You have to use some energy first in order to put the regenerated energy into the batteries.
*I do not have my MMe. Therefore, unable to test 1P regenerative braking at "100%" charge.
Sponsored