Unusual rotor wear...

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Out here we would freak out if our rotors were scored that badly.
Be thankful for your climate, the Northeast is much less forgiving to all things metallic.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Really? Mine have never looked like that, unless there was a problem such as a sticky caliper. Are your rotors flat all the way across or does it have grooves cut into them already?
Out here we would freak out if our rotors were scored that badly. Even this Porsche doesn't have visible rings....
????
I donā€™t doubt thatā€™s the case in Arizona. In VT, all rotors look like the OPā€™s, grooves and all.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Be thankful for your climate, the Northeast is much less forgiving to all things metallic.
Not sure I would use the word "Thankful". :)
Things don't rust here but they do melt. :oops:

I donā€™t doubt thatā€™s the case in Arizona. In VT, all rotors look like the OPā€™s, grooves and all.
Real grooves or just surface discoloration? One or two hard stops and the rotors are smooth again?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Real grooves or just surface discoloration? One or two hard stops and the rotors are smooth again?
Real grooves. Thereā€™s so much grit and grime that we drive through all winter that itā€™s unavoidable.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Really? Mine have never looked like that, unless there was a problem such as a sticky caliper. Are your rotors flat all the way across or does it have grooves cut into them already?
Out here we would freak out if our rotors were scored that badly. Even this Porsche doesn't have visible rings....
????

20220331_083602.jpg
Always a bit tricky looking at a taycan as not only could it have the Porsche Surface Coated Brakes option, but they also disable regen periodically to give the brakes a bit of clean automatically.

Taycan owners manual:

"To assist in cleaning the brakes, the recuperation system is deactivated for a short time after standstill times of more than 6 hours. The recuperation system is activated again automatically afterwards."

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
F125A40D-63B3-41E8-9D90-A8F1E2D48C7B.jpeg

I took the above photo this morning before driving to work. It caught my eye as unusually heavy rust as the car had been sitting for 5 days.
7D3C32C0-A0EF-4D7C-8D07-AAC764CD5C22.jpeg

This is the same rotor after driving to work without doing anything to clean the rotors.

8A0E14F4-AB1C-47DA-A566-996D8361DEA4.jpeg

Then same rotor after a couple cleaning stops in neutral here in the parking lot here at work.
Oddly satisfying

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Completely normal on an EV
You need to put it in neutral apply your brakes a few times with good pressure and burn off that residual dust the scoring is just a fantasy created by the dust itā€™s not actually the metal in most cases. Heat is your friend. Friction is part of braking.
Jes sayin. I see that all the time and then I can make it go away. It's not something to worry about it's just brake dust accumulation static electricity Makes it adhere braking makes it go away

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford, 1967 Mustang GTA, DMG 2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
????

20220331_083602.jpg
You live in dry Arizona things don't rust as fast

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Don't really even need to put it in neutral. Just two-foot drive it. Stay in the go-pedal and drag the brake with the left foot. A couple of seconds at 35 MPH should scuff them clean. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
You live in dry Arizona things don't rust as fast
The OP's photo doesn't look like rust. Those rear rotors looks like deep grooves and score marks. I can't see how that is normal but I suppose in harsh climates that may be the case.

We don't even need to turn rotors here. All we have to do is change pads (assuming the rotors are still smooth). I guess we are lucky in that regard. My 1999 F-250 goes through brake pads every 60k miles but the original rotors lasted 350,000 miles and were never turned. (They measured at the min thickness cast into the rotor so I changed them finally).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Don't really even need to put it in neutral. Just two-foot drive it. Stay in the go-pedal and drag the brake with the left foot. A couple of seconds at 35 MPH should scuff them clean. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
You beat me to it! šŸ˜„

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The OP's photo doesn't look like rust. Those rear rotors looks like deep grooves and score marks. I can't see how that is normal but I suppose in harsh climates that may be the case.

We don't even need to turn rotors here. All we have to do is change pads (assuming the rotors are still smooth). I guess we are lucky in that regard. My 1999 F-250 goes through brake pads every 60k miles but the original rotors lasted 350,000 miles and were never turned. (They measured at the min thickness cast into the rotor so I changed them finally).
I agree it doesnā€™t look good. It if they were cleaned off it would be easier to tell.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have to do this every time I leave the car wash. If I donā€™t, my brakes are stuck the next morning.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have to do this every time I leave the car wash. If I donā€™t, my brakes are stuck the next morning.
Bummer, I just drive up and down the cul-de-sac normally. So far no sticking and no rotor rust. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Wait, really? Just gently apply the brakes?
Sponsored