Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Wait, really? Just gently apply the brakes?
He means gently apply the brakes while still using the other foot on the accelerator.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rzanzerkia

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I will try the light braking while foot on accelerator on a clear road.
IF it's just rust, that should scrape it off.
Wife's car so may have to wait to try above...

Being in New England and with 1PD driving I bet brakes hardly get used causing rust build up.

It seems rear brakes get used less? Both front rotors are clean.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
All cars have braking biased to the front. Even in my ICE cars, driving in the rain would cause the rotors to rust, and very short drives would clean the fronts but not the rears.

Since the MME uses the friction brakes so little (it doesn't matter if you're in 1PD or not), this gets magnified. Reverse causes the most noise, but that also happened in some of my ICE cars. Manufacturers prioritize "tuning" the brakes so that they make as little noise as possible going forwards, which sometimes makes backing up with rusty rotors sound really crunchy/grindy.

You say your wife drives it "a short distance" every day. That is also magnifying the issue. I drive mine about 10 miles back and forth to work. My rotors start out looking much like yours if it has rained, and are clean by the time I get to work/home. If I only drive a mile or two, the rears don't always clean up. Since you have quite a bit of build up, it might take a little longer the first time to clean them up, but try a longer drive with some moderate to aggressive braking and they should clean up. You shouldn't have to do anything special like 2 foot driving or using N.

I know using N works to clean them quickly. After I wash mine, I do half a dozen or so stops in N to get mine dry and shiny, but obviously be careful when doing that since you can't accelerate if you need to for some reason. If you do need to switch back to drive before you completely stop, take your foot completely off the brake before switching to avoid getting a large jerk/drivetrain lash.

OP
OP
rzanzerkia

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
The car lets you shift to Neutral while driving, but you can‘t shift to Park or Reverse.
But did you try? I'd be too scared to try :p

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
My wife's MachE has only 1200 miles and less than 3 months old.
One right rear rotor has scrape marks.
There is another rotor with much less markings and two without any wear.

No noise or performance issue but I wonder if break pad is wearing uneven on the rotor with heavy markings.
I can take it to the dealer but they are not very good (no loaner, last time kept the car for 2 days and nothing for headlight issue, still no replacement part)

Anyone have seen this on their car?
Does it needs to be checked by the dealer?

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 6.38.48 PM (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 6.38.48 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 6.38.48 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 6.38.48 PM.jpeg

Third image has most markings, fourth has some..
First 2 shows no wear...
Thanks
Hi there, rzanzerkia. I can look into this rotor concern regarding your Mach-E on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There should not be grooves in the rotors, if that is the case it has to be bad calipers. Rust and corrosion is possible, but that should not result in grooves, especially not across the entire surface of the rotor, which is the case in those pictures.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Get the Route 1 Wheels and you will never worry about it again……lol. Mine look the same after a Maine Winter.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusual rotor wear... A470C60F-F9FB-4899-9C1A-D2C7BB3593D1

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Always a bit tricky looking at a taycan as not only could it have the Porsche Surface Coated Brakes option, but they also disable regen periodically to give the brakes a bit of clean automatically.

Taycan owners manual:

"To assist in cleaning the brakes, the recuperation system is deactivated for a short time after standstill times of more than 6 hours. The recuperation system is activated again automatically afterwards."
When people wonder just what you get for all the extra money you spend on a luxury brand - this is it. Tiny details. Is it worth a Porche / BMW / Mercedes price? Totally up to your personal idea of value. I'm about to trade a BMW X3 for my MME (today, actually) and there will be trade-offs that I miss because there are some amazing little details in the X3. Sure won't miss the service center visits though.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
When people wonder just what you get for all the extra money you spend on a luxury brand - this is it. Tiny details. Is it worth a Porche / BMW / Mercedes price? Totally up to your personal idea of value. I'm about to trade a BMW X3 for my MME (today, actually) and there will be trade-offs that I miss because there are some amazing little details in the X3. Sure won't miss the service center visits though.
Agreed.
I have an older (2003) MB SL500. It has some cool features that I didn't even know existed back then. Tiny details do make a difference and adds to my appreciation for the vehicle.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Always a bit tricky looking at a taycan as not only could it have the Porsche Surface Coated Brakes option, but they also disable regen periodically to give the brakes a bit of clean automatically.

Taycan owners manual:

"To assist in cleaning the brakes, the recuperation system is deactivated for a short time after standstill times of more than 6 hours. The recuperation system is activated again automatically afterwards."
Wonder why @Ford Motor Company doesn't have this feature. Seems a no-brainer.

OP
OP
rzanzerkia

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update...
I drove car today on back streets.
1PD OFF.
Did braking at least 10 times (some light, some heavy, medium for long stretches etc.)
I don't think it made significant difference.
Both are rear wheels.
Rear passenger is worse.
I think rear driver one cleaned up a bit with braking.
When weather is warmer I may try to clean the rotor myself...
Though I may take up Ford's to see if the dealer can fix it...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusual rotor wear... WhatsApp Image 2022-04-06 at 5.59.05 PM
Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusual rotor wear... WhatsApp Image 2022-04-06 at 5.59.05 PM (1)

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Update...
I drove car today on back streets.
1PD OFF.
Did braking at least 10 times (some light, some heavy, medium for long stretches etc.)
I don't think it made significant difference.
Both are rear wheels.
Rear passenger is worse.
I think rear driver one cleaned up a bit with braking.
When weather is warmer I may try to clean the rotor myself...
Though I may take up Ford's to see if the dealer can fix it...
You can see if they’ll resurface the rotors under the TSB for the brakes. They’re supposed to look for stuck pad material on the rotors, but you may get lucky.
Sponsored