Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just got my car over the weekend and one of the first things I do besides replace wheels and tires (wheels on order) is sound deaden the car. I always start with the doors and in pulling off the door panels yesterday, I found something I have never seen before. Normally the window motor and regulator are mounted to the door but in the Mach E, the entire inside of the door has a thick plastic panel that the motor and regulator are mounted to along with the speaker and everything else.

It is attached to the door with ten 1/4 turn fasteners. There is a rubber gasket around the edge to seal against the door. This explains why there is already very little noise that comes in from the outside of the door. Ford calls this part (the entire plastic panel) the window regulator. The interior door panel itself is very solid and will put together compared to many others I have seen before. It also is a bit heavier than most I have worked with.

There is an LED light strip under the speaker grill on the front door panel (the white strip on the underside of the speaker grill) but no such light on the rear door panels. I will look into adding some LED lighting in that same area in the rear door panels down the road. I am not interested in all the different colors as I only use Ice Blue because I like the ambient lighting to match all the back lit controls and switches. I will post what I come up with but it will be awhile as it is not a priority right now.

IMG_40921900.jpg

IMG_40931900.jpg

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Are the wiring harnesses and mounting points there for the lighting strip in the rear doors? Not that I’d ever go to the trouble of trying to disassemble my doors, but it would be nice to know.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, there is no wiring or mounting for any lighting in the rear door panels.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I just got my car over the weekend and one of the first things I do besides replace wheels and tires (wheels on order) is sound deaden the car. I always start with the doors and in pulling off the door panels yesterday, I found something I have never seen before. Normally the window motor and regulator are mounted to the door but in the Mach E, the entire inside of the door has a thick plastic panel that the motor and regulator are mounted to along with the speaker and everything else.

It is attached to the door with ten 1/4 turn fasteners. There is a rubber gasket around the edge to seal against the door. This explains why there is already very little noise that comes in from the outside of the door. Ford calls this part (the entire plastic panel) the window regulator. The interior door panel itself is very solid and will put together compared to many others I have seen before. It also is a bit heavier than most I have worked with.

There is an LED light strip under the speaker grill on the front door panel (the white strip on the underside of the speaker grill) but no such light on the rear door panels. I will look into adding some LED lighting in that same area in the rear door panels down the road. I am not interested in all the different colors as I only use Ice Blue because I like the ambient lighting to match all the back lit controls and switches. I will post what I come up with but it will be awhile as it is not a priority right now.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusual Window Regulator IMG_40931900

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusual Window Regulator IMG_40931900
Awesome. This actually looks similar to the interior door panel on my '08 Mustang.
(Picture not mine, but this is what it looks like).
There's also a plastic sheet for additional waterproofing...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusual Window Regulator 1616508515167

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes your Mustang is similar to pretty much most vehicles. The motor and regulator are mounted to the actual metal part of the door panel. The Mach E is completely different in that they use a separate plastic panel to mount everything to. I like this idea as it keeps things quieter and there is no need for a plastic moisture barrier which after time tends to crack and crumble.

Below is my 2020 GT500 and 2014 Escape which are typical doors

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusual Window Regulator IMG_0646

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusual Window Regulator IMG_2670

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
No, there is no wiring or mounting for any lighting in the rear door panels.
So, no mounting points in the plastic molding tells us that, if there ever was a thought of lighting for the rear, it was discarded early enough before the final molds for those panels were made.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, no mounting points in the plastic molding tells us that, if there ever was a thought of lighting for the rear, it was discarded early enough before the final molds for those panels were made.
Correct, no moulding, no wiring, no place for at all for any lighting compared to how the front door panel is designed.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Got around to adding some ambient lighting in the rear door panel storage area since I had to take them off to get the windows tinted. #1
Sponsored