Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
There are plenty of examples from forum members with GOM readings that are way off the mark. No question about it. I am just curious how many of us have vehicles with fairly accurate GOM readings most times. My car has always been pretty good. I think there was 2 or 3 days way back when winter first hit that freaked out the guestimate but otherwise it's pretty darn close.

It is very common for me to consume 45%-55% of my battery charge on any given day so it is very easy to double check the accuracy of the GOM. I have done this at least a dozen times and it always comes up to around 2%-3% variance. Usually the GOM estimates lower than what I can actually travel. Screen grab below is just one of many examples that I have recorded. On this particular day, I started out with an estimated 291 miles of range and later that day after consuming 50% of my charge, I had traveled 150 miles with an estimated 148 left on the GOM. Pretty close IMO. Much better than any ICE vehicle's GOM from what I remember anyway.....

Anyone else out there with an accurate GOM?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusually accurate GOM? 1648850956141
Sponsored

Last edited:

JerryL

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
Country flag
There are plenty of examples from forum members with GOM readings that are way off the mark. No question about it. I am just curious how many of us have vehicles with fairly accurate GOM readings most times. My car has always been pretty good. I think there was 2 or 3 days way back when winter first hit that freaked out the guestimate but otherwise it's pretty darn close.

It is very common for me to consume 45%-55% of my battery charge on any given day so it is very easy to double check the accuracy of the GOM. I have done this at least a dozen times and it always comes up to around 2%-3% variance. Usually the GOM estimates lower than what I can actually travel. Screen grab below is just one of many examples that I have recorded. I start my day with estimated 291 miles of range and the at 50% S.O.C. I have traveled 150 miles with an estimated 148 left on the GOM. Pretty close IMO. Much better than any ICE vehicle's GOM from what I remember anyway.....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusually accurate GOM? 1648850956141
What is GOM

ponydsp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium 4ER, Taycan CT, 650s, F8 on order
Country flag
Mine is very accurate, more accurate than my ice MB GL. Once the GL is filled up, it will show 650 miles but as soon as I drive a block, it will drop down to 550 miles to empty.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
Mine has been very accurate after I did the initial reset when I first got the car. The GOM has always been within +/- 10 miles, which isn't too bad.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Mine is usually inaccurately low by about 10-30%. But every so often it's within a few %. I've never seen it promise more miles than I could drive.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Mine has been very accurate after I did the initial reset when I first got the car. The GOM has always been within +/- 10 miles, which isn't too bad.
Same here. I think the dealer reset it right before they sold me the car. Hasn't been touched since.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Mine is usually inaccurately low by about 10-30%. But every so often it's within a few %. I've never seen it promise more miles than I could drive.
Really curious why some cars are great at estimating the range while others are so very very bad at it. Perplexing for sure. ?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Really curious why some cars are great at estimating the range while others are so very very bad at it. Perplexing for sure. ?
Wonder if it depends on how variable your driving is. Here in Phoenix, my GOM will give me 30 extra miles compared to EPA rating in moderate weather which is accurate for me. Then I took the car on a long drive for the first time. It was overestimating the range. On the way back home it was more accurate. Now it's showing me at 330 on a full charge again.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Wonder if it depends on how variable your driving is. Here in Phoenix, my GOM will give me 30 extra miles compared to EPA rating in moderate weather which is accurate for me. Then I took the car on a long drive for the first time. It was overestimating the range. On the way back home it was more accurate. Now it's showing me at 330 on a full charge again.
I think it is driving variability. I'm not even convinced it has any kind of learning other than just basic average mi/kWh. But, I've only had it for 2500 miles, and haven't been experimenting enough yet.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I don't know how accurate it is for me, and really don't care. Same as my gas cars, it gives me a decent general idea of when I should fill up, and that's good enough.

I would never expect precision in a miles-to-empty reading in any car.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My car is also running about 10% over EPA estimated range.
Sounds like your car is running well. Great to hear! ?

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag

It is very common for me to consume 45%-55% of my battery charge on any given day so it is very easy to double check the accuracy of the GOM. I have done this at least a dozen times and it always comes up to around 2%-3% variance. Usually the GOM estimates lower than what I can actually travel. Screen grab below is just one of many examples that I have recorded. On this particular day, I started out with an estimated 291 miles of range and later that day after consuming 50% of my charge, I had traveled 150 miles with an estimated 148 left on the GOM. Pretty close IMO. Much better than any ICE vehicle's GOM from what I remember anyway.....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unusually accurate GOM? 1648852866286
I totally agree and have noticed the same, that my MME is pretty accurate and what is displayed on screen, is pretty darn close to what I get in real world albeit a few percent too pessimistic. But I would rather know I cam (at least) achieve what is displayed and have real world info, rather than be lied to with a big number that gets me half way to where I'm going. People freak out when they see that number drop as a result of real world conditions, but that's the reality of ANY EV based on current tech and battery chemistry, the only difference is that some manufacturers make you feel good by hiding that reality with bogus inflated numbers that are disconnected from anything achievable in the real world.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I'm wondering if this is more closely related to the amount of miles you've driven for the car to learn. I have almost 18K miles and mine is pretty close as well, even in winter. I noticed the OP was around 33K
Sponsored