Update Apr 8: 😭Mach N Cheese: STOP SAFELY NOW!😭

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I'm printing out a nice fresh copy of the tow document and official Ford towing guide for the lucky tow truck driver tomorrow. We're going to see if my "TOW" stickers and tape over the holes not to hook in works.....
Dude. This is the first thing I thought of when you told me the news earlier today. After having just shown me the tow stickers and pucks under your car... and then to have to possibly "need" them the very next day! Sucks. Super sorry you have to deal with this, but luckily I feel you are well prepared in all necessary areas of knowledge.

Wow, i got my car a few days after yours from Frontier Ford (another dealer in same town) and i was hoping to use them for service as they did not try to screw me over with ADM.
See below.

I've read all of these nightmare threads, and I can only find one other person with this problem in my area, and their dealership is far away from me. Anyone have positive / negative experiences with service at Sunnyvale Ford or Frontier Ford? Otherwise I'm going with my closest dealer Sunnyvale Ford for the "convenience" of getting the car there and back.
I purchased from Frontier Ford also and they were great at point of sale. However, I have been to their service department 4 times for the Mach E and at no point have they known more about my cars "ailments" than I have. I've had different service technicians each time and I have yet to leave the service department with the fix to what I brought the car in for. Granted all have been software or module related, but even so, I don't recommend them at all for service at this time.
Sponsored

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
What is your build date? I thought this was a GT job 2 thing, but the fact that you have a premium ext range concerns me.

And for those chiming in with the same problem, please share your trim and build dates as well. ❤
Mine was a job 1 premium. Had it for about 10 months before the problem.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Mine was a job 1 premium. Had it for about 10 months before the problem.
Thanks. I'm in the same boat but I haven't had the same issue come up yet. We are supposed to leave on a three day road trip tomorrow 😥

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Thanks. I'm in the same boat but I haven't had the same issue come up yet. We are supposed to leave on a three day road trip tomorrow 😥
Wouldn’t worry about it, just make sure you are prepared if anything happens, I know we’ve seen it a few times on here but that’s just how forums are

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Mine was a Job 1 Select, build date of 5/10/21, just shy of 10k miles before it happened to me. Thus far (3 weeks) after BECM and HVJBC replacement, have had no issues (knock on wood). Mix of L2 and DCFC since parts.

This is affecting what appears to be all trim levels, is not temperature related, and it doesn't have much to do with charging strategy, or software.

Let's hope that it doesn't happen to more cars, and let's hope that it doesn't happen again to cars that have had the parts replaced.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I purchased from Frontier Ford also and they were great at point of sale. However, I have been to their service department 4 times for the Mach E and at no point have they known more about my cars "ailments" than I have. I've had different service technicians each time and I have yet to leave the service department with the fix to what I brought the car in for. Granted all have been software or module related, but even so, I don't recommend them at all for service at this time.
Great this is the intel I wanted to know -- MNC ain't going to Frontier then....

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Mine was a Job 1 Select, build date of 5/10/21, just shy of 10k miles before it happened to me. Thus far (3 weeks) after BECM and HVJBC replacement, have had no issues (knock on wood). Mix of L2 and DCFC since parts.

This is affecting what appears to be all trim levels, is not temperature related, and it doesn't have much to do with charging strategy, or software.

Let's hope that it doesn't happen to more cars, and let's hope that it doesn't happen again to cars that have had the parts replaced.
I wonder if Ford wanted the bad parts to see what's failing. I watched the Munro videos on the battery pack and this is a pain in the butt -- they're going to have not only drop the pack (which means draining the cooling fluid, de-energizing the battery) but they have to take off the 64 screws and open the pack up to get at the BECM, it appears.

Definitely not a repair we can do while I wait!

Beowoeulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm not sure of the build date. I bought it in June 2021 after the dealer had used it (per Ford requirement) as a demo/courtesy car. It now has 15,000 miles.

The dealer took delivery in February 2021, so pretty early.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here's my concern: if they don't know why these parts are failing, and they are replacing with the same parts, nothing's really changed. We know it's not software that's causing this, we know it's not temperature, we know it has nothing to do with trim or build date, we can guess it's not charging strategy. Also, de-energizing the battery has to impact longevity of the cells. Stating that the battery will maintain 70 percent functional capacity after 8 years is kind of meaningless, as the percentage of capacity shown can be changed easily by software.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
From what I’ve experienced, Ford may not be ready for this. Might be time for me to reconsider my options
You might need to reconsider your screen name -- that's not going to fit on a custom license plate 🤣

But really, these are all new systems and you gotta expect some teething pains. I'm crossing my fingers that they treat me as well as some of the others I've seen recently on the forum, where they've bent-over backwards to apologize (like flatbedding his car 400mi home after it was fixed etc)

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
But really, these are all new systems and you gotta expect some teething pains. I'm crossing my fingers that they treat me as well as some of the others I've seen recently on the forum, where they've bent-over backwards to apologize (like flatbedding his car 400mi home after it was fixed etc)
These issues are being talked about more and more as of recent. Basically the point is that because of the technology in these cars, and with a few years looking at Tesla's reliability, they are coming out far less reliable than ICE at this point in time. I know it will likely improve, but this is just the way it is, for now.

March was a rough month for EV reliability statistics as I saw many many publications on my feed about it.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/03/ice-cars-more-reliable-than-electric-cars-study-shows/
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ombustion-engine-models-wait-what-183054.html
https://www.powernationtv.com/post/study-shows-ice-cars-to-be-more-reliable-than-electric-vehicles

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I wonder if Ford wanted the bad parts to see what's failing. I watched the Munro videos on the battery pack and this is a pain in the butt -- they're going to have not only drop the pack (which means draining the cooling fluid, de-energizing the battery) but they have to take off the 64 screws and open the pack up to get at the BECM, it appears.

Definitely not a repair we can do while I wait!
That is exactly why Ford will not recall all current MMEs if the fix includes part replacement. It is too costly, and most dealers would not be able to handle it.
NHTSA will not investigate and won't push Ford for a recall unless the issue can result in an accident, i.e. cars brick while driving. But most reports are MMES bricked while parked, which cannot cause an accident, I convinent for sure but not dangerous
Sponsored