Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Happily, I recently received the 3.5.3.3 update and have been able to get the YouTube app to work while sitting in my driveway with the car connected to my home WiFi network.

Unfortunately I can not get Sync to join my iPhone Hotspot. I know the Hotspot is enabled and working because I can connect to it with my desktop computer and/or an iPad for example.

Sync typically does not see the network even after a forced refresh. Attempting to join by adding a 'hidden network' has not worked. Once Sync listed the hotspot as an available network with a strong signal, but entering the password eventually results in a "Network not Found" notification.

Have turned off Carplay for the MachE in Settings and Sync is not connected to Carplay while attempting to link to the Hotspot, so I don't think Carplay is a problem. Have been troubleshooting this away from my Home Wifi network so there is not a conflict with it being connected to another Wifi.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?
Sponsored

Last edited:

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Longshot, but try setting your hotspot network name, security, and password to match your home WiFi (if that's already saved in Sync). I do it out of laziness so my stuff just connects wherever I am without having to save another network if I turn my hotspot on. Might just connect for you.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Happily, I recently received the 3.5.3.3 update and have been able to get the YouTube app to work while sitting in my driveway with the car connected to my home WiFi network.

Unfortunately I can not get Sync to join my iPhone Hotspot. I know the Hotspot is enabled and working because I can connect to it with my desktop computer and/or an iPad for example.

Sync typically does not see the network even after a forced refresh. Attempting to join by adding a 'hidden network' has not worked. Once Sync listed the hotspot as an available network with a strong signal, but entering the password eventually results in a "Network not Found" notification.

Have turned off Carplay for the MachE in Settings and Sync is not connected to Carplay while attempting to link to the Hotspot, so I don't think Carplay is a problem. Have been troubleshooting this away from my Home Wifi network so there is not a conflict with it being connected to another Wifi.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?
Have you turned on "Maximize Compatibility" in the Personal Hotspot settings on your iPhone? (assuming you have a 12 or newer...)

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I have the same issue as the OP, except that I’m on AT&T and I have a IPhone XS Max.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Have you turned on "Maximize Compatibility" in the Personal Hotspot settings on your iPhone? (assuming you have a 12 or newer...)
Yes. Have tried max comp both on and off.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Yes. Have tried max comp both on and off.
Bummer, that was my initial thought but I don't know otherwise, I've never tried connecting to my iPhone.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Longshot, but try setting your hotspot network name, security, and password to match your home WiFi (if that's already saved in Sync). I do it out of laziness so my stuff just connects wherever I am without having to save another network if I turn my hotspot on. Might just connect for you.
I believe Verizon/iPhone takes the hotspot name from the phone name and adds ”’s iPhone” so might take some doing.

Last edited:

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I believe Verizon/iPhone takes the hotspot name from the phone name and adds ”’s iPhone” so might take some doing.
I almost didn't believe you until I Googled it! Seems like such a silly thing to not be able to customize your hotspot name, but I am coming from the Android side of the house.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
My iPhone worked fine, but I had the worst time with my Netgear Nighthawk M1 with a google fi sim. I went through every variation of name, security, etc. It just wasn't having it. Ended up using the steering wheel button combo to reboot Sync and it worked fine after that.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I almost didn't believe you until I Googled it! Seems like such a silly thing to not be able to customize your hotspot name, but I am coming from the Android side of the house.
Can’t set it up without a password either.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Do you have to disable wireless CarPlay first? That uses WiFi so you probably can’t do hotspot and CarPlay at the same time.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Do you have to disable wireless CarPlay first? That uses WiFi so you probably can’t do hotspot and CarPlay at the same time.
Yes. You are correct.

On the phone, in SETTINGS for CarPlay there is a toggle to disable connection to a car that has been previously set up. When I have been troubleshooting the MME main screen presents as though no phone is connected through CarPlay. So I don’t believe that is my issue.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Progress?

After getting the 3.5.4 update I fiddled a bit more. I am seeing my iPhone hotspot network more reliably in the MME available network list, although often a refresh or direct add is required to get it to appear the first time.

However, SYNC will still not connect. Have massaged my password without luck.

Signal strength shows as excellent.

BTW the BlackVue network in the list is my dash cam. It shows up every time, first
time.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UPDATE[imperfect resolution?] Wifi won't connect to Verizon iPhone Hotspot 512EE69A-FE17-46F9-8363-DB725D8983E2

Ford Mustang Mach-E UPDATE[imperfect resolution?] Wifi won't connect to Verizon iPhone Hotspot CAE304EC-E8FD-4B65-8823-4AB28D5F0DA2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Well Ladies & Gentlemen I may have stumbled on a solution thanks to @gordonf238. He posted a strange fix to wifi password connection issues here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...en-connecting-to-wifi-solved.3044/post-305135

Essentially suggesting to toggle out of and then back into your desired keyboard language selection before entering the password. As odd as that sounds I gave it a go and Sync accepted the password and made the connection.

I still had to first add my hotspot as it isn’t being seen on the initial scan or with a refresh, but now I know with persistence it is possible.

Last edited:

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Well Ladies & Gentlemen I may have stumbled ion a solution thanks to @gordonf238. He posted a strange fix to wifi password connection issues here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...en-connecting-to-wifi-solved.3044/post-305135

Essentially suggesting to toggle out of and then back into your desired keyboard language selection before entering the password. As odd as that sounds I gave it a go and Sync accepted the password and made the connection.

I still had to first add my hotspot as it isn’t being seen on the initial scan or with a refressh, but now I know with persistence it is possible.
Interesting fix! I’ll have to try that. I remember there used to be a glitch where it would default to the UK keyboard, so I always go in and make sure the US one is selected, I’ve never tried switching to a different one and then back.

I learned my lesson not to mess with my phones hotspot though. I disabled CarPlay to try it, it wouldn’t connect, and then when I tried to go back to CarPlay it wouldn’t connect either. I had to forget my phone and re-add it.

I tried using my iPads hotspot too and it connected after 2 tries, but then wouldn’t load YouTube. Just gave me a timeout error.
Ford Mustang Mach-E UPDATE[imperfect resolution?] Wifi won't connect to Verizon iPhone Hotspot 087B8557-BFA1-44DE-9A2F-D44F1F4E9A69
Sponsored