[Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..."

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I'm going to attempt to sum up this thread. PAAK is useless and we need to always carry the bulky FOB, period. (oh and Ford has no comment?)
That may be a summary for you, but not for everyone. I don't use PaaK (I have purchased add'l fobs), but many people report having success.
Sponsored

Oh Wilbur

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Mustang GT, 1996 Cobra, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Optical Engineer
Country flag
In the center console, there is a small holding cell to permanently store your key fob when using PaaK. The car knows that it is there and keeps the car locked while you are away. This convenience allows you to give driving access to others (via the passcode) in case of an emergency (like being arrested lol). It also helps if your PaaK fails to let you in and drive away. It’s like an emergency backup for your MME; just don’t forget the factory passcode.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
In the center console, there is a small holding cell to permanently store your key fob when using PaaK. The car knows that it is there and keeps the car locked while you are away. This convenience allows you to give driving access to others (via the passcode) in case of an emergency (like being arrested lol). It also helps if your PaaK fails to let you in and drive away. It’s like an emergency backup for your MME; just don’t forget the factory passcode.
Reading the manual, the little spot in the center console is to create "My Keys" to give out to other people. I don't believe it is a holder for your fob.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

I am thinking a foil-wrapped Fob *somewhere* inside the vehicle sounds like the way to go rather than at home in the drawer. But, I wouldn't want to make it too obvious in case somebody actually breaks into the car and looks in the obvious places for a key.

all you'd need to remember is the door pillar code. ;)

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also linked directly to having a fob. If you had it in your pocket/purse instead of the inside the factory passcode would not be required.

Tech is great when it is working. I carried the fob at first because paak was a little iffy with no key detected. 6 month later paak is working pretty well but now hearing some are getting it all wiped out from afar suggests that I continue to carry the fob. Never take it out from its shield but as soon as I do not have it I am sure I will need it.

In a faraday bag on/in the car somewhere is another solution for those that find it just too heavy to lug around and understand the risks. Forget your own passcode and just remember the factory one by the looks of it.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am thinking a foil-wrapped Fob *somewhere* inside the vehicle sounds like the way to go rather than at home in the drawer. But, I wouldn't want to make it too obvious in case somebody actually breaks into the car and looks in the obvious places for a key.

all you'd need to remember is the door pillar code. ;)
Wonder if they make magnetic faraday bags like the old key boxes? ;)

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
If you delete the PAAK from your FordPass app the backup code will also be deleted. How do I know? I set up two phones and then deleted one of them. The backup code for the two phones can not be the same. You are forced to make them different.
I believe you may be correct about having to setup a backup code for each phone, but this does not make a lot of sense. The point of the backup code is you can use it when all else fails, so any backup code will work regardless of how it was entered. The car can't tell you have the phone that coded it if the phone is not working!

MICO

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Rapid Red
Country flag
I would really like if Ford would stop advertising PaaK. Sure they can work on it but PaaK is not prime time ready.
Couldn't agree with you more!! If Ford would put their time and money into developing an app that really works, they might be on to something. Until then, everyone should take there factory fob when going on a road trip. You never know when Ford will send out another update that wipes out your setting on your phone; and then you're stranded!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe you may be correct about having to setup a backup code for each phone, but this does not make a lot of sense. The point of the backup code is you can use it when all else fails, so any backup code will work regardless of how it was entered. The car can't tell you have the phone that coded it if the phone is not working!
Only one door code. You set a start code for each profile (driver) that way when you use it seating etc. is that profile I would think. I tried to set the same start code for two different phones/keys that is a no go.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Only one door code. You set a start code for each profile (driver) that way when you use it seating etc. is that profile I would think. I tried to set the same start code for two different phones/keys that is a no go.
You can have multiple door codes. The programming instructions are in the Owner's Manual.
New codes can be entered on the center screen.

lmcmahon

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Standard Range
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I have updated PAAK at the dealership, removed and reinstalled my phone. PAAK still works only 60% of the time! My seat also does not return to the appropriate setting - again about 30% of the time! I love my Mach e - however the tech is sketchy! I would be happy to drive my car to Dearborn or other location in SE MI and let the Ford engineers at it and see what the software issues are!

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
A few Norwegians got this as well (not me), and some reported that the PaaK stopped working while the backup codes still worked fine.

I want something from Ford here to be more confident...

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A few Norwegians got this as well (not me), and some reported that the PaaK stopped working while the backup codes still worked fine.

I want something from Ford here to be more confident...
Thank you for the info and I have now heard US, Canada and Norway have been impacted. Since they are all assembled in the same place it stand to reason but the servers for Norway should not reside in the states? I have no idea what gremlins got into Fords servers to start wiping peoples setup but agree a little clarity/reinsurance would be helpful. Possibly they are just looking for the cash grab on second fob's?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi Everyone!
We recently had an outage that triggered a FordPass message to you regarding a Master Vehicle Reset causing Phone As A Key and Backup Start Passcode to be revoked. This message was sent in error, there was no remote Master Vehicle Reset and Backup Start Passcodes were not revoked. Only a small number of Mustang Mach-E owners received the message, and those owners have been notified directly. We are sorry for any confusion this has caused.

Regarding Phone As A Key, that same outage did cause this feature to be temporarily revoked for this small group, but we can confirm that you can now go ahead and Reset your Phone As A Key and then Re-Setup your Phone As A Key in the FordPass App.

Remember, before you try to re-setup Phone As A Key, be sure to complete the Phone As A Key Reset and have your key fob present, since the Reset will erase your current Backup Start Passcode. Again we apologize for any confusion or inconvenience caused.

Phone as a Key reset instructions can be found at:
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/technology/keys/fordpass-phone-as-a-key.html.
Backup Start Passcode instructions can be found at:
https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-use-my-phone-as-a-key-backup-start-passcode/

Please send us a DM if you if you need further assistance.
Sponsored

Last edited: