[Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..."

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I believe you need a fob in the car AND your phone to set up PAAK, I could be wrong but I recall my dealer saying that……. Glad the code worked and you are on your way…..for sanity sake, I reentered my code yesterday!

yes, you need both phone and fob in car to re-install and activate PAAK.... It can be a total PIA if you have a partial install because you have to be sure to delete and remove and re-install Fordpass from phone as well as existing PAAK and BT connections from Sync in the vehicle when starting over for a 'clean' install as if you just took delivery.

Once you get thru the re-install, activate PAAK, and set up BackupStartCode.... you *should* be all set.
Sponsored

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Something like this happened to me July 3rd. We where at my son's place in Ontario, then I went to the grocery stores with my 2 young grand-daughters. On the way out stepping in the car after a few minutes conversation with someone curious about the car, this happened to me. No way I could start the car so I told the girls that there was a problem with grandpa's car and we will have to walk back home. So I did picked up the FOB and came back on foot. After checking Ford Pass version it had change from 3.24 and 3.25 and unlike some people here I got no message regarding the loss of my Paak or backup code. Now I never leave home without the fob and thinking seriously of buying a second one. And I agree they should not promote Paak it is not working has it should.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Something like this happened to me July 3rd. We where at my son's place in Ontario, then I went to the grocery stores with my 2 young grand-daughters. On the way out stepping in the car after a few minutes conversation with someone curious about the car, this happened to me. No way I could start the car so I told the girls that there was a problem with grandpa's car and we will have to walk back home. So I did picked up the FOB and came back on foot. After checking Ford Pass version it had change from 3.24 and 3.25 and unlike some people here I got no message regarding the loss of my Paak or backup code. Now I never leave home without the fob and thinking seriously of buying a second one. And I agree they should not promote Paak it is not working has it should.
so.... you HAD a BackupStartCode set up, and it stopped working?

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I’m out of the country but was one of the ones affected by “Master Reset”. Now I just see this. At least they’re trying. I will check it out when I get back . Anyone else get this message?
Ford Mustang Mach-E [Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..." 99D6A791-4B70-4439-8AFD-EE71AA7F18FA

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Just a quick question for the two members who received the notice or had their PAAK ”deleted” by FordPass……have you both had the PAAK Recall update done?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would go a long way toward reducing 'Fob stress' if we could be sure that the BackupStartCode cannot be wiped out remotely via OTA Sync reset or FordPass update.

I really don't want to carry the Fob in the car, wrapped in tin foil, but I guess I could.... and that way it would be handy if and when I ever 'valet park' my car or when I have it in for Service. They need the actual Fob rather than my phone!
Unfortunately I think ford can shut down your vehicle any time they want. If someone got into their system they could play some games. Set your auto updates to off then construct and put on a tin foil hat is where I am going. ;)

Servers still down? Must be hard to setup right now with no response from the mothership. Guess use the fob until it comes back online? Maybe now? no now? now? Hope they are still responding to activation requests.

Still no sync of the car to the app on charging schedule set Thursday. Maybe if it misses sync in a certain time frame they just trash then all? Have no idea but no charging info popping up here either. At least the app still boots and Bluetooth working.

Just a quick question for the two members who received the notice or had their PAAK ”deleted” by FordPass……have you both had the PAAK Recall update done?
When I had it done it greyed out the phones in my profiles and the phone was of no use but never got that message. You would think the message would start with since your recent paak update your vehicle has been reset ......

I set it back up including the passcodes and has work well since (new codes working). All paak was gone (dealer had my fob). No message on the road that they wiped it out it was as soon as I picked it up after the update. Phone was a dud.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Not that I’m aware of.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes I have checked with my dealer and yes my car had the update done on my car.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
My PAAK started to work, sort of, but honestly it is too flaky and inconsistent. I've used it a few times to move the car around the drive way and garage but would never leave my home without the FOB. Also no way I'm turning my wife lose with just her phone to start it. If I didn't have this annoying issue mine would be perfect in every way so far in 800 miles.

@Ford Motor Company when are you going to recommend that all 1st year MME get a 2nd FOB? It would be an amazing good will by Ford and I'm sure in a year or so the 2nd FOB could be removed with a more sorted PAAK.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes it was not there anymore disappear
Startcode has to be related to setting up paak as it asks you to create your code after and you link that phone to a profile/startcode for the vehicle. You loose that phone as a key (profile) you lose the startcode that is linked to that phone. Seems the phone and the passcodes are dependent on outside help and possible modification. The Fob is one on one with the vehicle I think. Faraday bagged fob comes everywhere for now and for me is no major deal.
Yes I have checked with my dealer and yes my car had the update done on my car.
But it should of done it right off the lot after it was done. Not a message sometime after which really makes little sense (delayed reset). Was yours reset (no message) after the paak upgrade (did they have your phone when they did it) or did my guys just flub it up a bit? So easy to set up if you have server response it is really not a huge concern. Not looking to do it during a DCFC session on the road however.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Begin update —
After speaking with the dealer I bought the car from and FordPass guides, I confirmed the backup code was not reset despite the message, and was told only a master reset initiated on the vehicle could wipe the backup code. Not super confidence inspiring considering the message in the FordPass app but we were not able to get the fob overnighted and decided to proceed at risk from Boston to DC area with just the backup code. We made it. Lots of unanswered questions still in this thread but the immediate concern of getting home was mitigated via the backup code.

lesson learned; wife’s skepticism of new tech is well founded. Next time listen and bring the fob.
End update —

I got a message late yesterday saying “All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed from [ (2021 Mustang Mach-E)] due to Master Vehicle Reset. A vehicle key fob is required for operation.”

thanks for the update @amoo3 . I am still left wondering how and why you got the message, but glad to see verification from Ford that there is no way a 'master reset' can happen remotely via Sync or Fordpass update OTA.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
It would go a long way toward reducing 'Fob stress' if we could be sure that the BackupStartCode cannot be wiped out remotely via OTA Sync reset or FordPass update.

I really don't want to carry the Fob in the car, wrapped in tin foil, but I guess I could.... and that way it would be handy if and when I ever 'valet park' my car or when I have it in for Service. They need the actual Fob rather than my phone!
I do not have my car yet, so I could be wrong, but I watched a video about how you can program a code in the MME for the valet to use and not have to give them the fob or your phone. This is a problem we have often with the Model Y because my husband does not carry the keycard with him and then can't valet.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..." 1626707809646

Last edited: