[Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..."

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I tried to get a second fob yesterday. I was told that the Ford fob programming system was down. No fobs could be programmed anywhere in the country. They gave me another appointment a week from yesterday on the assumption that it will be fixed by then. It should be a simple process.
Erase the key memory. Program the first fob in. Program the second fob in. I don't understand why a computer in Michigan needs to be involved.
It's because Ford has to authenticate the person who programs the key, so not any Joe Schmoe is able to add an additional fob to your car. Believe me - I've tried. I actually paid for the Ford FDRS software license plus additional hardware to program the car's modules. If you're not a dealer, it wants you to login as a member of the National Automotive Service Task Force (NASTF). If you're a dealer, you login with some sort of Ford credentials.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Personally, I would never go on a trip without a fob, in fact, even though I have PAAK usually working, I never leave home without the fob. I got the dealer to program a second fob for my wife and she will never set up her phone as PAAK.
I also would have my fob with me on a trip. But, what if it got lost on your trip, or broken or something else? No problem! PAAK! but, oh no, over night Ford wiped my PAAK setup. Now i'm stuck. What do you do then?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
?I have a car on order. This is concerning. When Tesla sends updates, we have the option to install or not. They aren't installed automatically. But as with Tesla, there will be some initial learning as Ford moves forward with electrification and OTA updates
You have the option to not auto update with the MME also.

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
Update: dealer called me back to confirm that the passcode will work unless I initiate a master vehicle reset. Nothing in writing though.
That said, I’m still having the FOB overnighted to me before continuing the trip since I didn’t initiate a master vehicle reset the first time…

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I didn’t get this message, but it seemed about a few weeks ago my back-up code spontaneously deleted itself soon after I set it up.

This is very concerning. I would now want to take the key fob with me anytime I am going far enough where it would not be simple to get a ride from family/friends/Uber back home to retrieve the key fob if this were to occur.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I also would have my fob with me on a trip. But, what if it got lost on your trip, or broken or something else? No problem! PAAK! but, oh no, over night Ford wiped my PAAK setup. Now i'm stuck. What do you do then?
To be fair, with any normal car you’d be stuck. Here, if you had the key fob with you but lost it on the trip, PaaK would provide an additional layer of protection since it’s sort of like traveling with two key fobs.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The main reason I actually set up PAAK was so that I could enable the backup passcode in case of a lost fob. What was really annoying to me was that I could not set up the backup code until I enabled PAAK, why is that?

But I do now have three layers of protection:

1) fob
2) phone
3) passcode

My wife and I are going to the Grand Canyon this weekend and will have two fobs plus my phone. :)

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
To be fair, with any normal car you’d be stuck. Here, if you had the key fob with you but lost it on the trip, PaaK would provide an additional layer of protection since it’s sort of like traveling with two key fobs.
Except we now have a dealer saying they can't just add another key to the car without the original key being present.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The main reason I actually set up PAAK was so that I could enable the backup passcode in case of a lost fob. What was really annoying to me was that I could not set up the backup code until I enabled PAAK, why is that?

But I do now have three layers of protection:

1) fob
2) phone
3) passcode

My wife and I are going to the Grand Canyon this weekend and will have two fobs plus my phone. :)
For me paak is the only ring that has the power of remote start. Sounds like you have it covered ? the forum likes details and enjoy your trip.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I got a message late yesterday saying “All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed from [ (2021 Mustang Mach-E)] due to Master Vehicle Reset. A vehicle key fob is required for operation.”

I happen to be road tripping and did not bring the FOB with me since I figured with the phone and with the backup passcode that’s two methods to start the car.

Last night after getting the message my PaaK did stop working but I was still able to start via passcode. I have two days left in my road trip so parked it at the nearest Ford dealership overnight and heading there soon to see what we can do.
Anyone had this problem? Is there any way to get back on the road without a fob?

74B3FC75-CA25-4172-8F82-889F31BC0079.png
Hi there. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN? I'd like to look into this further.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Except we now have a dealer saying they can't just add another key to the car without the original key being present.
But wouldn’t this be the same with any other car unless you took both of your key fobs with you on the trip?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
But wouldn’t this be the same with any other car unless you took both of your key fobs with you on the trip?
A dealer should be able to program a new key with no other keys present. As long as you can prove ownership.

Reactions: ARK

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I always take all of the key fobs on a trip. My last car, 2013 Fusion Energi, had 3 fobs. Two wrapped in aluminum foil in a suitcase.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I tried to get a second fob yesterday. I was told that the Ford fob programming system was down. No fobs could be programmed anywhere in the country. They gave me another appointment a week from yesterday on the assumption that it will be fixed by then. It should be a simple process.
Erase the key memory. Program the first fob in. Program the second fob in. I don't understand why a computer in Michigan needs to be involved.
I have my appointment Tuesday for my second one. Sure does not sound like planned scheduled maintenance at ford right now. For me no biggie everything is working really well here without the connection. But I may check with my service guy on Monday to see if we are still a go.

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
A dealer should be able to program a new key with no other keys present. As long as you can prove ownership.
Totally agree this was incredibly surprising to me. Doesn’t make a ton of sense to tout a dealership network if things like this can’t be addressed by the nearest dealer service center.
Sponsored