[Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..."

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
Update: FMC has reached out via DM and opened up a case. I doubt it be resolved before my fob arrives via fedex. Maybe I’ll suggest a nice gesture would be compensation for the overnight delivery and extra night at a hotel. At a minimum it’s nice to see the company engage in these forums. That feels like decent (or at least segment leading) customer service
Sponsored

dmasteR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi S4
Country flag
Don't quote me on this, but I think it only started with the Model 3 in 2018? The S and X have key fobs for entry.
Yeah, it started with the 3 from my understanding as well. Not sure why the person you quoted is even talking about PaaK on a Model S.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
For me paak is the only ring that has the power of remote start. Sounds like you have it covered ? the forum likes details and enjoy your trip.
I could do remote start, lock and unlock via Ford Pass before I enabled PAAK.

mattmarox

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Can you share how you did this? I can’t seem to skip the part where it demands a fob
Before I did that paak reset I had gotten in the car by using the door keycode and initial emergency start code and started the car. The car was charging at a level 2 charger at the time and running. It was only after I started that process that I realized I needed the fob that i didn't have.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
To be a little fair, Tesla has had over 10 years to work out the bugs. I think PAAK is new to Ford with the Mach. This is why some people never buy a first year model... How was PAAK on Tesla during it's first half a year?
and i just checked with hubby about how well his PAAK works with his Model Y and he said maybe works 60% of the time and usually if it's not working he has to unlock his phone and open the app. We do still have iPhone 7s though...

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and i just checked with hubby about how well his PAAK works with his Model Y and he said maybe works 60% of the time and usually if it's not working he has to unlock his phone and open the app. We do still have iPhone 7s though...
I use an Android and on my Y, it works about 98% of the time. If you're having issues, make sure the phone doesn't put the app to sleep in the background and it also has location services on and active. On the 3 and Y, it works off of the Bluetooth, which is on the 2.4 GHz frequency, which can be finicky with interference from other 2.4 GHz devices. It can sometimes struggle communicating with the car if it's in a purse, back pocket, etc. I've seen people that put their phone in the back pocket and turn their butt towards the car and it reads the signal.

FME

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD/EX
Country flag
I tried to get a second fob yesterday. I was told that the Ford fob programming system was down. No fobs could be programmed anywhere in the country. They gave me another appointment a week from yesterday on the assumption that it will be fixed by then. It should be a simple process.
Erase the key memory. Program the first fob in. Program the second fob in. I don't understand why a computer in Michigan needs to be involved.
I just had mine programmed this afternoon. Seems to be working.

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not gonna lie. I am one of those guys here who is completely fine with just relying on my PaaK but this may have just been the ticket to make sure i definitely bring my fob if I go on a long trip.
On a road trip I always bring the FOB as backup insurance.

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had the same experience with my Model Y and I have and iphone 11. Many times had to take the phone out and open the app to get it to work. I did have to use the card a few times too

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e 4x, 1965 F-100, 1999 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
How was PAAK on Tesla during it's first half a year?
I had a Model 3 starting in early 2019. It worked very well for me with an occasional glitch here and there, which was usually resolved by either opening the app or toggling airplane mode. Pretty much the same experience I’ve been having with the Mach-e. I have left the fob at home since the day I took delivery.

Others on Tesla forums weren’t as lucky and had all kinds of problems with it at launch. There were tons of complaints on the various forums, probably more than we are seeing here. That makes sense as it was more of an inconvenience on the 3, which didn’t have a fob option at all at the time. You had to either use the app or the card.

ReidB

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
To be a little fair, Tesla has had over 10 years to work out the bugs. I think PAAK is new to Ford with the Mach. This is why some people never buy a first year model... How was PAAK on Tesla during it's first half a year?
When I was shopping around, I went to test drive a MY. The Tesla rep said they recommend to always keep a key card in your wallet. He even gave me an example why. A Tesla customer went to an Apple Store to trade in and replace her phone, she forgot about her Paak for her M3. When she got to the car she was locked out since she didn't have her card.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Don't quote me on this, but I think it only started with the Model 3 in 2018? The S and X have key fobs for entry.
Almost correct, PAAK came to Tesla with the Model 3 in second half of 2017. I have had my Model 3 since August 2018 and PAAK has failed only 3 times and all 3 times it was only unlocking when I had to use the card, by the time I was in the car, PAAK was recognized and I could shift to drive / reverse as normal. This was with a Pixel 2 and now Pixel 4 phone.
I am being patient with using PAAK with the Mach-E, since one phone works for both cars, now it seems to work 65 to 75 percent of time. Will be interesting to see what Ford does with this non-customer initiated Master Reset.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I got a message late yesterday saying “All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed from [ (2021 Mustang Mach-E)] due to Master Vehicle Reset. A vehicle key fob is required for operation.”

I happen to be road tripping and did not bring the FOB with me since I figured with the phone and with the backup passcode that’s two methods to start the car.

Last night after getting the message my PaaK did stop working but I was still able to start via passcode. I have two days left in my road trip so parked it at the nearest Ford dealership overnight and heading there soon to see what we can do.
Anyone had this problem? Is there any way to get back on the road without a fob?

74B3FC75-CA25-4172-8F82-889F31BC0079.png
Hi amoo3, We are so glad to have been able to help you with this. We are hearing that this has been resolved and you should now be able to set up Phone as a Key. If you need any further assistance now or in the future please feel free to reach out. Thank you for being part of the Ford Family. ?

Last edited:

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Agree completely. The Tesla PAAK also doesn't work seamlessly at times. I hate that the 3 and Y only have a card key. My husband forgets his all the time and can't use the valet then. My S came with a fob and I always keep it in my purse.
While not cheap ($175), you can purchase a FOB for Model 3 and Y and program it yourself in the car.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Almost correct, PAAK came to Tesla with the Model 3 in second half of 2017. I have had my Model 3 since August 2018 and PAAK has failed only 3 times and all 3 times it was only unlocking when I had to use the card, by the time I was in the car, PAAK was recognized and I could shift to drive / reverse as normal. This was with a Pixel 2 and now Pixel 4 phone.
I am being patient with using PAAK with the Mach-E, since one phone works for both cars, now it seems to work 65 to 75 percent of time. Will be interesting to see what Ford does with this non-customer initiated Master Reset.
Same experience with my 2018 LR RWD Model 3 and 2020 LR AWD Model Y. If it doesn't work, I reset the phone or switch to airplane mode and back and "tada".
Sponsored

Last edited: