UPDATE (NOT a new battery, not the HVBJB, no one knows...) Second time stranded in less than 2 months: STOP SAFELY NOW

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
@badgerthis really sucks. They ship a defective replacement battery? :mad:
Sponsored

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
@badgerthis really sucks. They ship a defective replacement battery? :mad:
The defective replacement part was the HVBJB, which is a sub-component (not the entire battery). However, given than many on this forum are dealing with failing HVBJBs, it’s disconcerting (to say the least) that the replacement parts are arriving DOA. Perhaps this part needs a redesign?

chaifarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
This. Or more likely: the replacement part is used from another job-1 vehicle scrapyard or otherwise and not checked before redistribution.

@BadgerGreg it is time @Ford Motor Company steps in and replaces your car with a brand new one to restore confidence, don't you think? (and use the car for training purposes for staff)
I asked the customer service rep assigned to my case about a buy-back or replacement. She said Ford "has no buy-back program" - also said original selling dealer following my state's lemon law is my only remedy. I would have to experience the same or similar catastrophic problem several times before lemon law would apply.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I asked the customer service rep assigned to my case about a buy-back or replacement. She said Ford "has no buy-back program" - also said original selling dealer following my state's lemon law is my only remedy. I would have to experience the same or similar catastrophic problem several times before lemon law would apply.
That is totally false information.

chaifarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
That is totally false information.
I was incredulous when she said that and thought she was wrong. Any ideas on how I could go above her head or around her to tap into a buy-back or replacement program?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was incredulous when she said that and thought she was wrong. Any ideas on how I could go above her head or around her to tap into a buy-back or replacement program?
Just so you know, there's nothing in what you posted that would qualify for any buyback. You can review lemon laws in your state, and you can send a DM to @Ford Motor Company. But one failure, and your subjective assessment by reading other people's posts, doesn't qualify for a buyback or a lemon law at this point.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
That’s probably more than I would expect, although these experiences have soured my view of the car. I am very close to pulling the trigger on ordering a BMW i4 (M50), which has similar specs to a GTPE. I’m going to wait to see how my repair experience unfolds before moving in that direction.
have you test driven or sit in an i4? performance wise it's probably good, but it has much smaller interior space, especially for back seats (it even has a transmission tunnel there).

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I believe in your state it is either 4 repair attempts on the same concern OR more than 30 days in the shop total for the same concern.

With that being said, I would suggest if you have lost all confidence in the car you could always sell it to Carmax, Zoom, Carvana, etc. and probably get as much or more than going through the hassle of a lemon law buy back ordeal with the BBB. If your dealer really does fix the problem it would really be a win win since the new owners would not have gone through your experience and you would not be worried about the next time it breaks down.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
have you test driven or sit in an i4? performance wise it's probably good, but it has much smaller interior space, especially for back seats (it even has a transmission tunnel there).
I test drove the i4 yesterday. It is a bit smaller, but my last two cars were BMW 3-Series, so I’m used to it. The backseat isn’t really roomy, but the front seats are great. The performance is amazing. Acceleration is on par with the GTPE. It is a *bit* more expensive than the GTPE, but not unreasonably so. Although I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Still waiting to see how my MME gets through this service ordeal.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
This. Or more likely: the replacement part is used from another job-1 vehicle scrapyard or otherwise and not checked before redistribution.

@BadgerGreg it is time @Ford Motor Company steps in and replaces your car with a brand new one to restore confidence, don't you think? (and use the car for training purposes for staff)
But but …… that could be my car ….not yet built
NO!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL
Jes sayin

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
The warranty is like a contract between the car owner and the Warranty provider which is Ford (not the dealer). The parties involved in the lemon law are the same parties as in the warranty contract, which are the car owner and Ford (not the dealer).
You have to request Ford to buyback or replace the car, not the dealer. Ford might ask you to go to a dealer to drop off your car for the buyback or replacement but the dealer is just an authorized representative of the manufacturer.

p.s. I am not a attorney, this is just my understanding of the lemon law which I have used before. You should consult a lemon-law attorney.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
That’s probably more than I would expect, although these experiences have soured my view of the car. I am very close to pulling the trigger on ordering a BMW i4 (M50), which has similar specs to a GTPE. I’m going to wait to see how my repair experience unfolds before moving in that direction.
My only worry is that i4 is also a first year model and it might have serious issues as well. I owned another premium brand's first year EV and it had tons of problems, some very serious, like 12v depletion while parked, dying while driving. That made me sell it and buy an MME, and here we are again.

Maybe BMW gained enough experience from the i3, but who knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My only worry is that i4 is also a first year model and it might have serious issues as well. I owned another premium brand's first year EV and it had tons of problems, some very serious, like 12v depletion while parked, dying while driving, which made me sell it and buy an MME.
Maybe BMW has enough experience from the i3, but who knows.
Good point. Given the timing, I'll probably end up getting the 2023 model, as my order won't get filled until later in the fall, after they've begun production of their next model year. It's also possible that I'll cool down and be happy with the MME and won't need to take delivery of the BMW. It's a low risk order, as I won't have to buy it if I really don't want it (assuming someone else buys it, which is a given).

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Good point. Given the timing, I'll probably end up getting the 2023 model, as my order won't get filled until later in the fall, after they've begun production of their next model year. It's also possible that I'll cool down and be happy with the MME and won't need to take delivery of the BMW. It's a low risk order, as I won't have to buy it if I really don't want it (assuming someone else buys it, which is a given).
I would honestly try to explore your options on Ford making you stay with them, like a newer model instead of a buyback, maybe reach out to some higher ups on social networks like twitter or LinkedIn.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would honestly try to explore your options on Ford making you stay with them, like a newer model instead of a buyback, maybe reach out to some higher ups on social networks like twitter or LinkedIn.
Depending on how this service issue plays out, I may explore those avenues.
Sponsored