UPDATE (NOT a new battery, not the HVBJB, no one knows...) Second time stranded in less than 2 months: STOP SAFELY NOW

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
**** 4/29/2022 UPDATE ****

Picked up my car this morning; new HVBJB is installed and working. Ford techs tested the car yesterday and again this morning and are satisfied the HV systems are working. Glad to be back in an EV.

Cooling off a bit on wanting to get rid of the car. I still love to drive it, so I'm holding off on ordering anything new. In any case, the car has two strikes (not three), so it lives to see another day.

**** 4/26/2022 UPDATE ****

After the dealership service shop told me yesterday that the new HVBJB was installed and the car would likely be ready for pickup today, I get a call late morning...apparently the new HVBJB I've been waiting nearly two weeks to get installed didn't do the trick, AND the service techs have no idea what is causing the problem. Back to square one.

I've given this a solid try, but I'm inches away from ordering a BMW i4 right now. I know I won't get one anytime soon, but I've got a feeling I have a šŸ‹ on my hands, so probably time to plan for the inevitable.

**** 4/21/2022 UPDATE ****

After a back-and-forth with Ford engineers, my service tech just confirmed that they are replacing my HVBJB (junction box), which is similar to what many others in similar situations have posted about. Apparently, some service departments have been misdiagnosing the battery problems and replacing the entire battery pack when it is really just a defective subcomponent (HVBJB in my case). Fortunately, the part was ordered and received in about a day, although the service tech said it would likely be early next week to get my car back, given that they're also taking a day to install the software updates to bring Blue Cruise to life.

That leaves me with a 10+ day adventure with a crappy rental from Hertz, a 4-cylinder Ford Escape with a rusted license plate from Florida that looks like it's about to fall off. I've never been more excited to get back into an EV...

**** 4/15/2022 UPDATE ****

Talked to the dealership today. They've been back and forth with Ford engineers all day, and they've come to the conclusion that there is an internal short in the HV battery. Ford told them to remove and return the battery pack, and they're going to replace the entire battery pack!

I figure I'm a rare case here, but I'm also quite happy with the resolution. I put almost 23,000 miles on my first battery, and now I'm getting a replacement battery. The service rep said it's a $30,000 cost to Ford (not sure how accurate that is, but that's what he quoted).

I asked him how long it would take, and he said they have 8 battery packs available in their Livonia (Detroit area) parts storage facility, so once Ford confirms on Monday, they should get the new battery pack within a day and I should get the full battery replacement service by the end of the week.

Original Post:

At least Iā€™m closer to home this timeā€¦

My Job 1 MME (March 2021 build) was bricked again at CVS pharmacy in Ann Arbor. Thank goodness this didnā€™t happen on my recent 2,000 mile road trip :(

STOP SAFELY NOW message, the same as I had about 3,500 miles ago when I got stuck in Madison, WI.

Iā€™ve had my highs and lows with this car, but two complete shutdowns and tows (within 6 weeks of each other) is NOT what someone should expect from a $55K car with just over 20,000 miles. @Ford Motor Company, this is really frustrating. I just canā€™t trust this vehicleā€¦Iā€™m honestly not sure if I want to continue ownership with the MME if I have to worry about being stranded around every corner.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UPDATE (NOT a new battery, not the HVBJB, no one knows...) Second time stranded in less than 2 months: STOP SAFELY NOW CD813534-085C-4BA0-9826-939AF772F665
Sponsored

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sorry you have to deal with this again. I hate to say it, but I donā€™t think any of the bricks that are determined to be a software issue are getting properly diagnosed. Software updates may make the problem go away for a while, but replacing the HVBJB is probably the real fix.

debsahu

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 California Route 1 AWD
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Thatā€™s very upsetting to hear you are having issues. Makes me question the reliability of Mach-e. Hopefully you get this resolved, let me know which dealer in Ann Arbor you are towing your car into and how your experience will be with the service department (keep us updated).

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sorry you have to deal with this again. I hate to say it, but I donā€™t think any of the bricks that are determined to be a software issue are getting properly diagnosed. Software updates may make the problem go away for a while, but replacing the HVBJB is probably the real fix.
I hope youā€™re right. I was tentative when the last ā€˜fixā€™ was deemed software related only.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thatā€™s very upsetting to hear you are having issues. Makes me question the reliability of Mach-e. Hopefully you get this resolved, let me know which dealer in Ann Arbor you are towing your car into and how your experience will be with the service department (keep us updated).
Thanks - itā€™s going to Varsity Ford (where I bought it). Theyā€™re pretty good, and we have a lot of MMEs in this area, so I know theyā€™ve built some skills.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hoping for a quick and long lasting fix for you. Bummer news.
:(

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Form the first car with a battery....

Rule #1. Keep the battery charged while you drive.

I'm starting to think I need to keep a fresh 12V in the garage (or in the frunk) in case one of our MME's batteries bites it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Form the first car with a battery....

Rule #1. Keep the battery charged while you drive.

I'm starting to think I need to keep a fresh 12V in the garage (or in the frunk) in case one of our MME's batteries bites it.
Very few of these problems actually end up being a 12V issue.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
The exact same thing happened to me. 1st fix was software only. 2nd fix was HVJB and BECM. I still have PTSD and I don't trust the car.

I'm still hopeful and I plan to keep driving it but I use my wife's ICE car for critical trips.

Hopefully, they'll get yours fixed ASAP and it will be a permanent fix.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Very few of these problems actually end up being a 12V issue.
Exactly. Also, I never got the 12V battery error message that some others got. My accessories work just fine and the 12V appears to have plenty of juice.

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
Typical growing pains of a new type of vehicle with so much tech.

Itā€™s going to take 2-3 years before problems like these are a thing of the past.

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
At least Iā€™m closer to home this timeā€¦

My Job 1 MME (March 2021 build) was bricked again at CVS pharmacy in Ann Arbor. Thank goodness this didnā€™t happen on my recent 2,000 mile road trip :(

STOP SAFELY NOW message, the same as I had about 3,500 miles ago when I got stuck in Madison, WI.

Iā€™ve had my highs and lows with this car, but two complete shutdowns and tows (within 6 weeks of each other) is NOT what someone should expect from a $55K car with just over 20,000 miles. @Ford Motor Company, this is really frustrating. I just canā€™t trust this vehicleā€¦Iā€™m honestly not sure if I want to continue ownership with the MME if I have to worry about being stranded around every corner.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UPDATE (NOT a new battery, not the HVBJB, no one knows...) Second time stranded in less than 2 months: STOP SAFELY NOW CD813534-085C-4BA0-9826-939AF772F665

I too have to join this chorus of anxiety! I am nervous each time I attempt to use the vehicle. I am afraid this will be the time it doesn't start and it honestly isn't a pleasant feeling.

These issues have persisted since the very first day the cars were delivered. In spite of a very long lead time with testing there were serious failures requiring numerous recalls. At least those can be corrected.

The Sync software is a complete black box of bugs. Starting with not providing a second fob and relying on PAAK, Ford has left a very bad taste in my mouth on EV's. I applaud their goals but they have failed in execution. Each day the car provides a new twist in my life....maybe the presets are gone, maybe the seat is in a new position, maybe the walk away lock doesnt work.....a totally new adventure!

These continuing posts indicate its not just a few folks, there are literally thousands of these events happening and it would be terrifying if Ford ever published the number since the car was released. Stranding owners of new vehicles is NOT what I expected. I owned a 2017 Volt for 5 years and it was totally reliable in every way.

The software process is a total joke! Dealers haven't a clue and have little training. My car is still at 1.71; when I had them update from 1.4 it took 10 days so I am terrified to have them take another shot. Then of course, you need to determine whether the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. All of those wonderful software features that were promised are just pipedreams.

Ford offers ZERO information to owners about the updates and TSB that they produce. This forum is the only way to find out what I may need before I experience the problem. Is that the way to treat a customer? I am reduced to checking my own VIN with the FDRS software, and watching updates manually. Did I sign up for this work?

If I could replace this car with another EV with similar features, this car would be gone in a heartbeat. But I am stuck now until the supply side improves. Only saving grace is that the value seems constant. I know Ford is selling like crazy but I wonder if these new buyers know what they are getting into.