UPDATE (NOT a new battery, not the HVBJB, no one knows...) Second time stranded in less than 2 months: STOP SAFELY NOW

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I don't like this club! I want to not be a member anymore! :D
Reminds me of the old Groucho Marx line “I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.”

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Be like Groucho Marx: I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Oops, sorry I didn’t see your earlier post. You beat me to the punch.

debsahu

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 California Route 1 AWD
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Not an electrical engineer, are these high voltage relays coil type with contactor? Wouldn’t solid state relays not weld close?

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
**** 4/26/2022 UPDATE ****

After the dealership service shop told me yesterday that the new HVBJB was installed and the car would likely be ready for pickup today, I get a call late morning...apparently the new HVBJB I've been waiting nearly two weeks to get installed didn't do the trick, AND the service techs have no idea what is causing the problem. Back to square one.

I've given this a solid try, but I'm inches away from ordering a BMW i4 right now. I know I won't get one anytime soon, but I've got a feeling I have a 🍋 on my hands, so probably time to plan for the inevitable.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I think it’s safe to assume that Ford is already investigating.
They are investigating but they might need an extra push to recall and fix all affected vehicles proactively instead of waiting to reactively fix the broken ones ;).

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Similar thing with the F150 Small Diesel 3.0. A bunch had bolts come loose from the intercooler/turbo and vehicles were shooting coolant all I er or worse the bolt got sent into the engine. (See F150 forum). Stuck on the road, limp mode etc!.
Once they got a decent population of affected vehicles, they were able to pin point the cause, the batch of parts affected and vehicles that were built in that period and notified owners effected.
The trucks in the batch that were still at dealer lots were corrected prior to sale.

Very similar with the MachE, this 3.0 Diesel and it's design were new to the technicians at the dealerships and they tried replacing various parts not knowing what was going on. Ford's Powertrain engineers eventually had the root cause and and corrective actions.
My dad used to tell me, "Never buy 1st year models as you are basically an unpaid road test driver for things that inevitably come up during that period!"
I usually follow that advice, but with COVID and a desire for these high tech automobiles, I've been for the 3.0 Diesel F150, Bronco, MachE, Powerboost Hybrid and our Lightning is being built in June. I'm going in with my eyes wide shut but won't blame dad.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
**** April 27, 2022 UPDATE ****

Service tech texted me this morning and said that the HVBJB they just replaced was FAULTY and they have to order a replacement part. Damn. Given the original AND replacement both failed, I'm really not looking forward to the next time this component fails. This car is going to be on a short leash until I can replace it.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
**** April 27, 2022 UPDATE ****

Service tech texted me this morning and said that the HVBJB they just replaced was FAULTY and they have to order a replacement part. Damn. Given the original AND replacement both failed, I'm really not looking forward to the next time this component fails. This car is going to be on a short leash until I can replace it.
If your dealer is cooperative, you might want to ask them if the replacement HVBJB threw the same DTC codes (eg did it fail in the same manner?)

chaifarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
If your dealer is cooperative, you might want to ask them if the replacement HVBJB threw the same DTC codes (eg did it fail in the same manner?)
The service manager told me today that the Ford engineer remotely diagnosed the "Stop Safely Now" problem as bad BECM, requiring replacement of BECM, HVJunction Box, and HVEP. Parts will take at least a week to get to dealership, and repairs will take 3-5 days. My MME has 1550 miles on the odometer and bricked while I was driving 75 mph on a highway with a very narrow shoulder with no safe place to pull over. Car would not get out of Park gear. Waited nearly 2 hours for a tow truck. This one dealership has had "several" MME's come in with the exact same problem.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
The service manager told me today that the Ford engineer remotely diagnosed the "Stop Safely Now" problem as bad BECM, requiring replacement of BECM, HVJunction Box, and HVEP. Parts will take at least a week to get to dealership, and repairs will take 3-5 days. My MME has 1550 miles on the odometer and bricked while I was driving 75 mph on a highway with a very narrow shoulder with no safe place to pull over. Car would not get out of Park gear. Waited nearly 2 hours for a tow truck. This one dealership has had "several" MME's come in with the exact same problem.
Scary crazy bad!!!!

This also tells me there are still reasonably new MMEs being pumped out with this defect, and it's perhaps not just a bad batch of parts. And that the replacements being shipped also can fail with presumably similar frequency.

Please report this right here.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

metalpro2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e 1st edition
Occupation
Software architect
Country flag
Scary crazy bad!!!!

This also tells me there are still reasonably new MMEs being pumped out with this defect, and it's perhaps not just a bad batch of parts. And that the replacements being shipped also can fail with presumably similar frequency.

Please report this right here.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
This. Or more likely: the replacement part is used from another job-1 vehicle scrapyard or otherwise and not checked before redistribution.

@BadgerGreg it is time @Ford Motor Company steps in and replaces your car with a brand new one to restore confidence, don't you think? (and use the car for training purposes for staff)

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This. Or more likely: the replacement part is used from another job-1 vehicle scrapyard or otherwise and not checked before redistribution.

@BadgerGreg it is time @Ford Motor Company steps in and replaces your car with a brand new one to restore confidence, don't you think? (and use the car for training purposes for staff)
That’s probably more than I would expect, although these experiences have soured my view of the car. I am very close to pulling the trigger on ordering a BMW i4 (M50), which has similar specs to a GTPE. I’m going to wait to see how my repair experience unfolds before moving in that direction.
Sponsored