mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
So I’m totally confused on the front trunk issue then. All Teslas have front trunks. Can’t they be opened from the remote/touchscreen? I thought they could? If so, how does Tesla manage this. No remote opening of the front trunk really decreases utility, even with the stupid divider.
Sounds like the Tesla (and other BEVs) are smaller. Long hood of the MME gives it the largest frunk which, ironically, seems to then run into a regulatory buzzsaw, if in fact the electronic lockout is not due to a technical engineering problem.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
So I’m totally confused on the front trunk issue then. All Teslas have front trunks. Can’t they be opened from the remote/touchscreen? I thought they could? If so, how does Tesla manage this. No remote opening of the front trunk really decreases utility, even with the stupid divider.
Maybe the doll doesn't fit? or maybe they are not air tight?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sounds like the Tesla (and other BEVs) are smaller. Long hood of the MME gives it the largest frunk which, ironically, seems to then run into a regulatory buzzsaw, if in fact the electronic lockout is not due to a technical engineering problem.
I have no idea if Tesla frunks are airtight, but that could be another difference too.

I kinda wish Ford had just put an air vent in the frunk. Seems like that should remedy the issue. I don't think I care that it's airtight, just clean. Slap a vent hole with a foam filter over it.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I can't in my wildest imagination understand how a kid could somehow end up in the frunk and then close the hard to close top. Who thinks of these things? Geeze,. what a thing to worry about... What's next, electronic openers on coolers?

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
As of right now its not listed but you might want to check again in december
Since the incentive amount is tied to EPA milage rating they cannot evaluate the Mach-E until the official EPA milage rating is posted.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I can't in my wildest imagination understand how a kid could somehow end up in the frunk and then close the hard to close top. Who thinks of these things? ...
Are you sure it's hard to close?

Kid playing hide-n-seek
Bullies if it's hard to close

Last edited:

Flydivesurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER, Model X
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
The Tesla Frunks are smaller by a considerable margin. The closest match to a Mach-e frunk is the Porsche ICE rear engine cars (The Taycan also has a smallish frunk).

The 2020 Porsche 911 has a 4.6 cu. ft front trunk. That compares to the MME's 4.8 c ft. Both are big enough to fit a 3-year-old child (see https://www.nhtsa.gov/crash-test-dummies), 3' 1" and 36 lbs. The Porsche has several methods of opening the front trunk:

1. The level in the car by the driver (door sill area).
2. The "My battery died method."
3. The keyfob is nearby and I touched the font trunk lid by the emblem method. The bane of those washing their 911's with the key in their pocket.
4. The keyfob.

There appears to be no legal reason Ford cannot have remote access plus the divider. The divider is there because they need to prevent a toddler from entering a trunk and getting trapped. And there's no legal reason they need the divider unless the interior frunk emergency release isn't working properly. Porsche manages a remote entry to their front trunk without a divider and without disabling remote access.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can't in my wildest imagination understand how a kid could somehow end up in the frunk and then close the hard to close top. Who thinks of these things? Geeze,. what a thing to worry about... What's next, electronic openers on coolers?
That's what pisses me off about this whole frunk release and divider nonsense. Nanny state "Oh but if it saves just one life!!" nonsense run amock. It's so ridiculous.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
That's what pisses me off about this whole frunk release and divider nonsense. Nanny state "Oh but if it saves just one life!!" nonsense run amock. It's so ridiculous.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico 1605896815196

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
unless it's your kid
Sponsored