Updated CPUs -- who has the skinny on them, versions, etc....

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Who has been keeping tabs on the CPU in the vehicle? How many versions are there (at least 2 of them are known).
Have you been able to get the 'much better' unit? Have a lead on it? PM ME if discretion is warranted.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Who has been keeping tabs on the CPU in the vehicle? How many versions are there (at least 2 of them are known).
Have you been able to get the 'much better' unit? Have a lead on it? PM ME if discretion is warranted.
Which CPU are you referring to? The one in the powertrain control module or the gateway module or ???

What are the "at least 2 versions"? Links please.

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Which CPU are you referring to? The one in the powertrain control module or the gateway module or ???

What are the "at least 2 versions"? Links please.
The only CPU that matters, the APIM....
The stock 820 cpu is SIX years old. For reference it could be found in the Samsung Galaxy S7 -- yes, the MME is powered by a galaxy S7 cellphone CPU (which is why it sucks at pretty much everything)
(take a trip down memory lane https://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-820-phones-683041/)

The newest APIM has a Snapdragon SA8155P in it. Whereas the 820 struggles to run 2 1080p displays, the 8155 with its superior GPU and RAM can run 3 4k displays (as in can generate 6x as many pixels). It boots faster, doesn't have the lag, stutters, etc..

It might show up in Job 2 23's if it's not integrated sooner (or who knows, maybe much later).

The MME's user / screen experience should be able to match that of the latest phones and tablets. Anything other than instant response is unacceptable. The actual component cost difference is, ready for this, $25. People put up with a shitty touchscreen / infotainment experience so ford could save $25.

Never mind that ford and qualcomm are both US companies and yet their first deployment in vehicles is happening in china. Demand more.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That is probably the hardware for the new Android automotive platform. You've got a while to wait before you see one of those in the wild.

HITQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE - Raptor
Country flag
Wasn’t Ford supposedly going to use Google’s automotive platform? Supposedly it was a done deal and maybe this was only meant for the ice side of the house?

I don’t have one and hate sometimes comparing, but I know Tesla offered a “computer” hardware update a while back to earlier cars. It wasn’t cheap but offered a path to FSD and maybe more advanced features of the newer cars.

Since we are in Gen 1 of the Mach-e, and many changes are to come. Should Ford look to offer an Apim updated module down the road so earlier cars can be near on par with the new? There comes a time when updates won’t be able to run on the older Gen. Won’t this show wow Ford for one will help to keep older cars current? Add confidence in buying today? I wouldn’t think a module or two can cost that much as an upgrade. And you can use the power of your dealer network to install them and make a couple of bucks. I’m sure dealers who convert to EV sellers, would like to be able to keep a way to keep services flowing in. While an update like this wouldn’t be common or often it does represent another form of service.

Updated code and features are great. Eventually the hardware may not keep up. Obviously chip shortages today and production levels not up to speed will inhibit this. Just food for thought and future outlook.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
The stock 820 cpu is SIX years old. For reference it could be found in the Samsung Galaxy S7 -- yes, the MME is powered by a galaxy S7 cellphone CPU (which is why it sucks at pretty much everything)
(take a trip down memory lane https://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-820-phones-683041/)

The newest APIM has a Snapdragon SA8155P in it. Whereas the 820 struggles to run 2 1080p displays, the 8155 with its superior GPU and RAM can run 3 4k displays (as in can generate 6x as many pixels). It boots faster, doesn't have the lag, stutters, etc..

It might show up in Job 2 23's if it's not integrated sooner (or who knows, maybe much later).

The MME's user / screen experience should be able to match that of the latest phones and tablets. Anything other than instant response is unacceptable. The actual component cost difference is, ready for this, $25. People put up with a shitty touchscreen / infotainment experience so ford could save $25.

Never mind that ford and qualcomm are both US companies and yet their first deployment in vehicles is happening in china. Demand more.
Do your legs get tired up on that soapbox?

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It's always fun when someone knows just enough about tech to show they don't know enough about tech. It doesn't matter if a processor in a vehicle is on par with an old cellphone because the purpose of automotive grade parts is to survive for years and thousands of rough miles in situations that far exceed what a cell phone will encounter without needing to throttle itself to do so. It's part of why the chip scarcity hurt automotive manufacturers the worst, they all, not just Ford, use older CPU processes because they are reliable in all the harsh situations a vehicle encounters including baking under the sun in 110 degree heat and still working when they start the car.

Those older processes aren't built by as many chip fabs, and when the auto industry canceled a ton of orders during COVID lock down, some of those fabs updated their processes to support the consumer electronics sector which use newer processes. So we are in a perpetual chip shortage in automotive because the capacity just isn't what it once was.

The MME infotainment experience could, at times, be snappier. But it's good enough, at least in our car. You shouldn't be using it like a tablet or cell phone.

Anyone that has spent time with a modern cell phone should know better than to ask their car to run on anything close to the same systems. Android or iOS, they all will throttle and dim screens and maybe even throw an overheat message requiring you to stop using it for a while until it cools down, even with some moderate time in the sun on not even the hottest days. If that happened on infotainment because you needed your Sirius XM screen to load 1/10th of a second quicker we would have far more complaints here.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Updated CPUs -- who has the skinny on them, versions, etc.... 1666445901121

Ah damn, the Mach-e infotainment is unusable again! Sorry kids, I know we live in Arizona and this heat is typical, but we will have to wait to turn on the AC until I can get somewhere that the processor can cool off. But at least the warning message rendered quickly!

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag

I would totally pay for an updated APIM if my Job 1 Mach-e supported it and it meant more features and performance.

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
It's always fun when someone knows just enough about tech to show they don't know enough about tech. It doesn't matter if a processor in a vehicle is on par with an old cellphone because the purpose of automotive grade parts is to survive for years and thousands of rough miles in situations that far exceed what a cell phone will encounter without needing to throttle itself to do so. It's part of why the chip scarcity hurt automotive manufacturers the worst, they all, not just Ford, use older CPU processes because they are reliable in all the harsh situations a vehicle encounters including baking under the sun in 110 degree heat and still working when they start the car.

Those older processes aren't built by as many chip fabs, and when the auto industry canceled a ton of orders during COVID lock down, some of those fabs updated their processes to support the consumer electronics sector which use newer processes. So we are in a perpetual chip shortage in automotive because the capacity just isn't what it once was.

The MME infotainment experience could, at times, be snappier. But it's good enough, at least in our car. You shouldn't be using it like a tablet or cell phone.

Anyone that has spent time with a modern cell phone should know better than to ask their car to run on anything close to the same systems. Android or iOS, they all will throttle and dim screens and maybe even throw an overheat message requiring you to stop using it for a while until it cools down, even with some moderate time in the sun on not even the hottest days. If that happened on infotainment because you needed your Sirius XM screen to load 1/10th of a second quicker we would have far more complaints here.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Updated CPUs -- who has the skinny on them, versions, etc.... 1666445901121

Ah damn, the Mach-e infotainment is unusable again! Sorry kids, I know we live in Arizona and this heat is typical, but we will have to wait to turn on the AC until I can get somewhere that the processor can cool off. But at least the warning message rendered quickly!
No the standard set by Tesla is instant touch response. Using the Tesla infotainment is in another league compared to sync4. You should expect that performance in a modern car. Your love affair with the past strangles the progress of our future.

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
It's always fun when someone knows just enough about tech to show they don't know enough about tech. It doesn't matter if a processor in a vehicle is on par with an old cellphone because the purpose of automotive grade parts is to survive for years and thousands of rough miles in situations that far exceed what a cell phone will encounter without needing to throttle itself to do so.
It's always funny when someone responds to a post that's over their head and they take some copium and begin to strawman the argument with banter that's not related to the topic at hand. If you believe that there's a difference in the CPU/GPU and ram in the mach e vs what's in the cell phone, I've got some beach front property in AZ you'd be interested in.

Do your legs get tired up on that soapbox?
Never -- educating the common folk to demand more will never get tiring. Spend not even half the effort you did replying and send a message to ford about wanting modern components in cars that are now retailing for $76k. Or down some copium and excuse it away...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
No the standard set by Tesla is instant touch response. Using the Tesla infotainment is in another league compared to sync4. You should expect that performance in a modern car. Your love affair with the past strangles the progress of our future.
That's because tesla is using x86 CPUs and GPUs that are in modern computers and not some under-performing 6 year old cellphone / tablet crap.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Wasn’t Ford supposedly going to use Google’s automotive platform? Supposedly it was a done deal and maybe this was only meant for the ice side of the house?
Android Automotive. 2024 or 2025, I no longer recall just when. I just recall thinking it might be a good time to trade in my Job 1 premium on a new OS GT-PE. You know, the year with the behemoth HVBJB and no 5-second limit. ;)

HITQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE - Raptor
Country flag
At this point if you’re at 3.5.2 at least, the screen responds well. I mean I have no problem dancing around the options. But in time and if you keep the car a few years, it may get quite laggy. Unless Ford just stops certain updates and features to older cars. But this shouldn’t be like ICE of past. The cars should be allowed to update and grow. Hey there are limits and maybe 5+ years down the road that’s about it. But a good selling point is long life and staying current for several years after you buy it.
Sponsored