Updated: Crazy Repair Cost after minor incident- Car is totaled

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Isn't the battery case plastic? I could see how it could possible crack, but not dent. Maybe there was enough force to pinch the coolant channels inside. But I still don't see why replacing the entire battery case and coolant tray would require the battery cells to be replaced, and those are the most expensive parts.
Sponsored

ChrisSJR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Space White RWD ER (Spark-E), 2004 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is a real bummer. Sorry for your damage. Relatively minor road debris causing total battery replacement. I suspect these type of damage incidents will cause the entire automobile insurance industry to raise premiums to all of us.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
My Mach E is currently at a dealership. They ordered and received two battery modules for replacement. I'm hoping to get the car back this week (they had to order Thermal material and two frame bolts, too). So Ford does support replacing modules.
Ok that's good. For a while they weren't replacing modules.

Reactions: UW2

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Well there's modules inside the battery pack, if the casing was dented but didn't damage the modules...maybe its ok? Ford doesn't support replacing modules yet...though they should in the future if one was damaged.

Plus you worry about decreased structural integrity of the pack. I find it hard to believe it could dent the casing that bad but I would love to see pictures.
I've read so many posts over this past year I could be wrong, but I do recall people saying they had individual cells/modules replaced. But I could be completely wrong.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Man, I thought there was some thick plating or something somewhere that was supposed to protect the battery. Surprised there's not. A puncture rather than a blunt object could have an incendiary result.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
I would insist they consult a Ford Field Engineer, the ones that help the dealerships with complicated Mach E repairs at dealerships and make sure they also insist the entire thing needs to be replaced. Reaching out to @Ford Motor Company here might help you get one to your dealer if the dealer refuses to do that.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Isn't the battery case plastic? I could see how it could possible crack, but not dent. Maybe there was enough force to pinch the coolant channels inside. But I still don't see why replacing the entire battery case and coolant tray would require the battery cells to be replaced, and those are the most expensive parts.
I believe there is a metal tray under the entire battery. Modules are in plastic cases.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I've read so many posts over this past year I could be wrong, but I do recall people saying they had individual cells/modules replaced. But I could be completely wrong.
Yes I was wrong. It seems they recently started replacing individual modules. At first they didn't.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Your insurance rate will definitely increase.
Insurance may not increase. It’s a comprehensive claim, like glass and does not increase rates, not a collision claim, does sound similar to a Tesla incident a while ago. Please post some pictures. Anyway, that’s what insurance is for. Also the Op should update his stats with model etc. The way I look at it is we have paid thousands for insurance, sometimes it needs to get used. That’s why we buy it. If they total the battery and provide no credit, tell them you will keep it. I will rent a trailer and come and get it….

Last edited:

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I would definitely elevate this to Ford proper before you sign off on the dealership doing the work. There has to be some alternative to this, and if there isn't that's a serious design flaw and Ford needs to make it right somehow. Nobody's going to keep buying MMEs if the insurance premiums shoot through the roof because of a little road debris. Give this car a few years of depreciation and suddenly the repair is costing enough that they'll just total the vehicle.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I would have it taken immediately to another dealer. They are full of shit. They may want to just replace the whole battery because they don't know what they are doing and can charge more for the labor. If it is the cooling channels or something like that there is no need to replace the ultrarexpensive battery modules.

Maybe @Ford Motor Company can chime in on what to do

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Sorry about your issue with your new MAchE. Now I do not have one or any electric car at the moment but do plan on getting one in the future. This sounds like Ford is wanting to replace the entire battery system as a precaution in case modules are damaged or not. Also if they do replace the entire system they are going to keep the extra modules on hand for parts because I am sure those modules are not easy to get since this is such a new car so doubt they have any in stock to put on cars.

As someone else mentioned their are no fans in the battery box. Just the cooling lines that run thru the battery box to each individual module. I beleive the motor that runs that system is actually under the frunk or just above or the battery box. So you might have pinched the cooling lines inside the box but do not think that warrants a 25K service charge. Even if you had to replace 1 or 2 modules I think maybe 5K if that much. Also wouldn't the battery part be covered under the warranty?

I remember owning a Prius back in 2008 and when its battery fan got clogged I had to pay the price of the fan but they did that so they could put the cost of the battery pack in the prius under warranty as it was over heating cause fan was clogged. So car kept shutting down.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'm going to try to get some pictures. I will update soon. Total repair cost with parts and labor is $27,505. My question to the service guy was how does Ford make any money on these cars if the battery alone is $24,000.
Profit is at the factory. Replacing a battery pack in the field is MUCH more expensive than installing one at the factory.

Sounds like your cooling channels are damaged or smashed flat.
Might be able to bang it out from the inside but I would only consider that if the repairs were coming out of my own pocket. If insurance claim, then get a new battery installed. While individual modules are replaceable......It's a ton of work and the potential for leaks etc is greater.

Bummer news about the road debris. Something that I worry about with Blue Cruise. People drop stuff on the freeways all the time where I live. Ladders, recliners, crates etc. It's kinda crazy sometimes.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Updated: Crazy Repair Cost after minor incident- Car is totaled 1630430942234
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK