Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Remembering my physics here and doing the math for a 7% slope (4º), the Mach-E would need about 40kW of regen to maintain 60 mph down the slope. The battery should definitely take that no problem since it's less than a fast charge. It has to be an overheating problem with the motor or motor electronics. Perhaps the rectifiers converting AC back to DC are overheating, or potentially the motor rotor or stator is getting too hot and binding due to thermal expansion closing the clearance gap between them. That's my best guess on the grinding noise heard or why the car might not want to move. After the rotor cools down and contracts the motor would be able to spin again.

What's weird is the motors can defiantly output 40kW continuously on the highway, so you would think they could handle the same in reverse, but obviously something is different during regen that's generating more heat. It would be interesting to know what the update changes exactly, perhaps an updated thermal model for the rotor/stator that tapers off regen after so long?
Sponsored

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
We frequently do a 2000 ft descent at around 40-50 mph in engaged setting with one pedal on. No issues yet.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can you go to a dealership right now and request the software update to supposedly fix this issue (LOL) . I'm going on a long trip with a big mountain and don't want to worry about this issue, anyone know?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Remembering my physics here and doing the math for a 7% slope (4º), the Mach-E would need about 40kW of regen to maintain 60 mph down the slope. The battery should definitely take that no problem since it's less than a fast charge. It has to be an overheating problem with the motor or motor electronics. Perhaps the rectifiers converting AC back to DC are overheating, or potentially the motor rotor or stator is getting too hot and binding due to thermal expansion closing the clearance gap between them. That's my best guess on the grinding noise heard or why the car might not want to move. After the rotor cools down and contracts the motor would be able to spin again.

What's weird is the motors can defiantly output 40kW continuously on the highway, so you would think they could handle the same in reverse, but obviously something is different during regen that's generating more heat. It would be interesting to know what the update changes exactly, perhaps an updated thermal model for the rotor/stator that tapers off regen after so long?
If you are talking about the Norway descent you saw the descent. I do not think your 60 mph variable is accurate for it. There is a difference with friction brakes when you start to ride them going down hill; going 60 mph no probs lots of room to play and you can baby it. Not too sure with this new tech dual setup what happened. I can say that descent is a good brake test. Got to thank our Norwegian friends for testing that out for us. Hope I get that fix OTA.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To satisfy any over-heating anxiety, I use Car Scanner on my A.I. Box to monitor regen and temp until Ford provides this info on the MME.
Ford Mustang Mach-E [UPDATED with Ford Norway's Response] Reports of Steep Downhills / Descents Overheating Mach-E Car Scanner Gauges.JPG
That would be cool to have. Could you explain the setup?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To satisfy any over-heating anxiety, I use Car Scanner on my A.I. Box to monitor regen and temp until Ford provides this info on the MME.
Ford Mustang Mach-E [UPDATED with Ford Norway's Response] Reports of Steep Downhills / Descents Overheating Mach-E Car Scanner Gauges.JPG
That is just cool. You should start a new thread with that image and post a how to for us newbies That would be appreciated. Linked here. 68 F is good. I think 45 C 113 F (with FS) is getting high. Not really a lot of data on this car yet.

Can you get that vehicle over to Norway now and tell us what the heck went on? ;)

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They are LG battery packs, I'm sure someone can get the spec's for those batteries, they are used on many vehicles, GM, etc. But I hear they (GM and others) might be going away from them based on the fires of the Bolt! Yes, the Mustang has those LG batteries! Those batteries don't like a great deal of heat. I think you might be close on 45 C but I think for not to long for sure! Damage will start pretty quickly from heat!!! I have a Launch handheld OBD2 scanner I want to update so I can look at the vehicle data while traveling, I let you know how that comes out if it works for me!

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To be honest with everyone I don't think the issue is battery heating as much as the motor's are overheating from the regen! Yes, the battery is getting hot but if the motor's are heating to a point where the gap between the rotor and the stator expands enough to hit each other, then there will be metal to metal contact. THAT WOULD NOT BE A GOOD THING! I don't think any dealer will disassemble a motor drive train assembly to check for damage, you may never know how much life is left from that kind of damage. Check out WeberAuto on youtube you can get all the information you ever want to have about electric vehicles, this guy knows his stuff!

Last edited:

Patchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD in Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I doubt it for his recent drive. The mountain drive Patrick just did (after the update) was on I-70 through Colorado. I've done the same drive twice (Denver-Vegas). There's regen coming down from the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,000' and Vail Pass at 10,000', but that's never been a problem for the MME on interstates. Presumably because interstates are designed to maintain high speed without harsh switchbacks where you have to slow hard into the tight curves.

Even on 5-6% interstate grades, it only need gradual regen over many miles rather than hard bursts where you're repeatedly speeding up and slowing hard into the turns like the Mt Evens road, and the Norway road.

A real test would be driving back down the Mt Evans road again, or a similar road with hard, steep switchbacks.
I've done several steep descents here in Colorado and have never had an issue. However, I exclusively drive in Engage with 1-pedal OFF.

Hoping to do Pikes Peak in a couple of weeks and I'll update after that.

And I agree, coming down from the Tunnel or Vail Pass isn't technically a steep descent, in my opinion. Truckers may disagree ;)
Sponsored