[Updated with lane change assist video] Something I didn't know about the Mustang Mach-E until I owned it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I e had my car since March. If nothing else, you made me go find an open empty road and try automatic lane change. I can’t verify whether it works on your car or not. I can verify that my car did not try to change lanes for me at all. Enjoy driving your car as you like. Best wishes.
Sponsored

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I'd like to echo the fact that while I'm highly skeptical of the OP's claims of the lane-change assist feature, calling her a troll (without proof of her intentions) does NOT help. No need to get personal here.

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Debating / disagreeing is perfectly fine and reasonable, but disrespectful /insulting behavior is not tolerated on this site.

All further disrespectful / insulting behavior will be deleted and receive infractions / bans. We encourage everyone to report such behavior so we can address it and remove such behavior/members.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I'd like to echo the fact that while I'm highly skeptical of the OP's claims of the lane-change assist feature, calling her a troll (without proof of her intentions) does NOT help. No need to get personal here.
Yeah, this is making me cringe. Let's not turn this into Reddit.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Is there a chance that @Ford Motor Company or @Ford Team could comment definitively as to whether some form of assisted lane change capability is “in the wild”? Personally, I find the OPs reports and videos compelling that something is going on, but I don’t know what? Perhaps the wrong software was loaded?

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Yeah I agree with what others are saying. I'm the last person to come on here and just say someone is wrong in something they think is happening but you have to look at the facts.

1) somehow this has only been programmed into one MME that we know of

2) miraculously it happens to have been given to a driver that is completely uncomfortable driving with the safety features on and letting go of the wheel, let alone drive with one hand.

3) I use leather conditioner on my interior that makes everything slick, including my steering wheel, and on my way to Starbucks today I was able to manage a full corner at highway speeds with only one pointer finger on the outside of the wheel. So she could easily be controlling it, even unintentionally, with her two fingers on the wheel. This is in a 2013 ford fusion with no automated driving assistance and heavier steering than the mach e probably has.

4) as others have said the road slant with opposing turns when the car changes lanes could have been the reason it drifted to the side.

5) the safety features are clearly turning off when the blinkers are engaged. I'd imagine if this was true lane changing it would add symbols and not turn them off.

6) the speeding up of the car when you change lanes is probably just the ACC detecting room in front of the car and speeding up when you change lanes

I wouldn't go as far as calling you a troll, but the effect of you thinking it's happening is far more possible than all of the things I put above being wrong.

I know you've seen it in the Tesla and everything else but until we get others to back up your claim, and especially videos with no hands or knees on the wheel, this just won't be believable to anyone here.

I think also the reason some people are getting upset is because they're getting excited that new features are being released and then you post the videos you did and the reaction is just kind of like "really? That's what you're going to use as proof?" It's certainly not proof of anything, so we'll hold out on our excitement until it can be properly shown that it works.

Last edited:

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm not trying to say OP is a liar, or a troll, But I genuinely believe that OP thinks their car is doing this.

I wouldn't feel right to see someone thinking their car can do something that it can't, that could potentially get them or someone else hurt just from not understanding the cars features.

SO, I just went out and tried this two times.

The first try, I was behind a van, no cars behind me or beside me. Cruise set at 68mph in a 65 zone with my 3 over setting. Turn on turn signal, blue bubble goes away, and steering assist icons go away for that feature turning off. The car follows straight as expected. I finally steer into the left lane manually, and the car speeds up from 61 back to 68 as soon as I'm almost fully in the left lane, as adaptive cruise is still working during all this. Which is exactly how OP said it happened for them.

The 2nd test, I tried again, no cars behind me or in front or beside. Turn on turn signal, again, all features turn off as expected. And the car actually started to drift right on to the shoulder, and the lane keep assist nudged the car back away from the line. No lane change.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Is there a chance that @Ford Motor Company or @Ford Team could comment definitively as to whether some form of assisted lane change capability is “in the wild”? Personally, I find the OPs reports and videos compelling that something is going on, but I don’t know what? Perhaps the wrong software was loaded?
Jim is one to something here. I think this is the perfect forum for the Ford team to do a presentation on the MME roadmap - what software features are coming in the near future, what they have learned from the surveys, and how we can best provide them with feedback on what to improve, what we really like, etc.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The 2021 Mustang Mach E does not yet perform auto-lane change maneuvers. No amount of believing/wishing or misplaced good intentions will change this.

Ford will release a statement when it does, they will also make damn sure anyone participating in “early access” is comfortable with performing manual lane changes, should their feature not work as intended and require driver intervention.

This whole thing is just preposterous.

Deleted member 3569

This sort of worked on mine (Premium RWD w/ 68 kWH battery, production date of May 2021) inadvertently! ...I got scared because I didn't know what it was doing. I set on Intelligent mode, lane assist in Alert and Aid ... I was cruising at 65 mph on an Interstate - I was cruising leisurely, got behind a slower vehicle, then I put the blink on left and the car started to drift towards left lane but I interfered and did not allow it to proceed. The blue bubble outline was in full mode during this ....I need to duplicate to confirm this for sure so please don't take this from me yet.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
This sort of worked on mine (Premium RWD w/ 68 kWH battery, production date of May 2021) inadvertently! ...I got scared because I didn't know what it was doing. I set on Intelligent mode, lane assist in Alert and Aid ... I was cruising at 65 mph on an Interstate - I was cruising leisurely, got behind a slower vehicle, then I put the blink on left and the car started to drift towards left lane but I interfered and did not allow it to proceed. The blue bubble outline was in full mode during this ....I need to duplicate to confirm this for sure so please don't take this from me yet.
How about confirm, then post, rather than fuel the fire? Just a suggestion.

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Jim is one to something here. I think this is the perfect forum for the Ford team to do a presentation on the MME roadmap - what software features are coming in the near future, what they have learned from the surveys, and how we can best provide them with feedback on what to improve, what we really like, etc.
Is it the collision avoidance? Steering assist will kick in and gives an additional push on the steering wheel if it sees a hindrance and you start to nudge the wheel in that direction. No alerts will show.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Is it the collision avoidance? Steering assist will kick in and gives an additional push on the steering wheel if it sees a hindrance and you start to nudge the wheel in that direction. No alerts will show.
Collision avoidance would absolutely give alerts. Audible alerts, flashing red collision avoidance icon, the radio will turn down so you hear it.

It does have the capability to swerve to avoid a collision. But it would take more than just cruising behind a car to get it to activate. The OP's video shows that it was keeping 3 space distance from the car in front of them.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
In my experience, alerts DO show for collision avoidance, including steering assist situations. They include loud beeping and a flashing red background on the IC.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Even the first iteration of BlueCruise won't have Lane Change Assist at launch. It's a future enhancement.

"Future enhancements are planned to include Lane Change Assist that will let the vehicle change lanes with just a tap of the turn signal indicator, and Predictive Speed Assist that will adjust vehicle speed for road curves, roundabouts and more."

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...road-trips-bluecruise-hands-free-driving.html

"Ford plans to enhance BlueCruise over time. The automaker will add more Hands-Free Blue Zones and offer Lane Change Assist and Predictive Speed Assist features."

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-is-ford-bluecruise-and-how-does-it-work
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.