[Updated with lane change assist video] Something I didn't know about the Mustang Mach-E until I owned it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Its a brand new car I just got that was built in June. I literally just got this MME Premium ER AWD on Thursday.July 8th. I don't think I signed up for any early access program. Am I the first person with access to this feature outside of ford? If so that's awesome.
What does the cluster show during this time? Did it turn the turn signal off automatically?

Did the "bubble" around the car go away or stay there?
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Ummm… you sure you didn’t just drift into the other lane? Activating the turn signal turns OFF the lane centering. You have to steer yourself into the other lane, at which point the lane centering automatically re-engages. It’s a hell of a lot smoother than lane changing with Tesla Autopilot, but it doesn’t rise to the level of Tesla Full Self Driving.

All the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control does is set your cruise within a certain defined threshold above or below posted speed limits - to the extent the car correctly reads the speed limit sign, doesn’t get confused by conflicting frontage road speed limit signs, etc.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I hate to be "that guy", but are you sure your car isn't just drifting between lanes, due to what @benk016 said about lane-keep assist being temporarily disabled when the blinker is activated?

EDIT: Ninja'd by @Mirak

OP
OP

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
You sure you didn’t just signal, the car gave up control, allowed the angle of the road to pull you into the next lane, then reengaged cruise control automatically once in the lane?
Considering I did used the feature about 10 times between Williamsburg and DC, I am sure this was not the case. It was changing lanes on its own based on the blinkers when in intelligent cruise control with lane keep assistance.

OP
OP

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What does the cluster show during this time? Did it turn the turn signal off automatically?

Did the "bubble" around the car go away or stay there?
Oh this is the neat part, the bubble stayed over the very front, but turned to lines on the side. Again, we will try to film this when my husband is done with work and post it on youtube.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Considering I did used the feature about 10 times between Williamsburg and DC, I am sure this was not the case. It was changing lanes on its own based on the blinkers when in intelligent cruise control with lane keep assistance.
You may have inadvertently received an advanced build. When giving commands, does your car respond to “Kitt”?

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
All the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control does is set your cruise within a certain defined threshold above or below posted speed limits - to the extent the car correctly reads the speed limit sign, doesn’t get confused by conflicting frontage road speed limit signs, etc.
This is what I thought too. Never really used IACC, but now I'm going to try it out today, like everyone else will be doing.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh this is the neat part, the bubble stayed over the very front, but turned to lines on the side. Again, we will try to film this when my husband is done with work and post it on youtube.
Yes, that signifies that the ACC is still on, and the lane centering is now off.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
This is what I thought too. Never really used IACC, but now I'm going to try it out today, like everyone else will be doing.
Ditto. I'll try it on my drive home. I've always had it on ACC since it's hard to say how much over the speed limit I'll be doing... but if this is true, I'll be switching over permanently.

OP
OP

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You may have inadvertently received an advanced build. When giving commands, does your car respond to “Kitt”?
Ditto. I'll try it on my drive home. I've always had it on ACC since it's hard to say how much over the speed limit I'll be doing... but if this is true, I'll be switching over permanently.
I should note, lane keep assist is also on when doing this for me. I also had the distance set to three car lengths, but I am not sure that makes a difference.

I should note, I am not sure it is an advanced build or not.

Last edited:

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
In other news today, 67 Mach-E's involved in car accidents all across the nation trying to replicate an automatic lane change maneuver.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
What you just described is what the system does when lane centering DISABLES. The bubble goes down to just lines on the side while a turn signal is activated. This is telling you that the car is not in control, and you are 100% responsible for steering.

OP
OP

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What you just described is what the system does when lane centering DISABLES. The bubble goes down to just lines on the side while a turn signal is activated. This is telling you that the car is not in control, and you are 100% responsible for steering.
Except in my case the car is automatically changing lanes, until I turn off the blinker. It is NOT disabling the cruise control. My foot is not on the gas pedal, nor am I personally steering the car. Its definitely lane change assist. I know how the feature works in Teslas, husband has a Model 3. Its working very similarly here. This is NOT disabling the cruise control in this case.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Except in my case the car is automatically changing lanes, until I turn off the blinker. It is NOT disabling the cruise control. My foot is not on the gas pedal, nor am I personally steering the car. Its definitely lane change assist. I know how the feature works in Teslas, husband has a Model 3. Its working very similarly here. This is NOT disabling the cruise control in this case.
Cruise control still works, But Lane Centering gets disabled. Lane Centering is the current tech that keeps the car in the lane and does the steering. When you turn on the turn signal, Lane Centering is disabled, but cruise continues to drive the car forward.

In this time if you are not steering, your car is 100% not being controlled by anything and you are at risk of running off the road.

This system, in its current iteration, is just a driving aid, It doesn't do anything automatically. If you turn on a turn signal, and went into another lane, it was simply because either the car was already not completely straight and continued in that direction, or the road curved slightly and you thought it was the car doing it.

*Edit* Or you're a troll. In which case this is horrible info to be posting on line as it could end up getting someone hurt.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.