Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Well, not really an FE. But the defining characteristics of an FE are wheel trim that match the paint and those red brake calipers. My MME is black so the wheel trim already matches. But those red brake calipers do look nice. I can do that, right? I’m a handy guy with some good mechanical skills and a garage full of tools looking for a reason to be used. Well, it may not have gone totally as planned (my wife of 19 years is NOT surprised) but I’m happy with the results.
After educating myself on the different ways to paint brake calipers I decided against removing the calipers entirely. The tech manual for rebleeding the brakes says to plug in the diagnostic computer and follow the on screen prompts. I may have a lot of tools, but I am lacking the Ford diagnostic computer in the garage. I also didn’t like the idea of masking the car and spray painting the brakes within the wheel well. My history of masking and spraying isn’t the greatest. Acknowledging my faults is one of my better qualities as my wife will agree (and help me find them). So I decided on the paint and brush route but still wanted to move the calipers so as to not accidentally paint the rotors or pads. I obtained the Duplicolor Caliper Paint kit in Red and waited for a day off work.
My next task was to learn to get the car into brake service mode. The electronic parking brake is otherwise engaged and the calipers can’t be removed. After a little searching and phoning a friend, this was achieved. I put it in brake service mode, took it out of brake service mode to ensure I could, and put it back into service mode get to work. Jacked it up. Supported with stands, removed tires.
The calipers come off pretty easy, each with 2 bolts that are not hidden by a bunch of other stuff. The rear brakes each have a wire connector for the electronic parking brake and then they’re free. I hung them from caliper hangers and was getting ready to paint.

It was then that I realized I was going to have to manipulate the calipers a lot while coating them in wet paint. I got the brilliant idea to go ahead and pull the rotors and backing plates to get them out of the way. I was then able to remount the calipers to the brackets and have them held in place while I painted.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Upgraded to an FE. A5207AE6-2B5B-4862-ACB2-68169A872C38

NOW ready to get started I did a little wire brushing to prep the surface and a lot of brake cleaner. My car has 400 miles of OPD so there wasn’t hardly anything to clean up. But I did some due diligence and then got down to business. First thing I noticed is that the Duplicolor brush on paint is THICK and not the kind with two C’s. On the large flat surface of the front calipers, brush strokes are quite apparent on close inspection. But who’s going to look that closely at my brakes anyway. I want a little splash of color as I pass people on the highway or pull up next to them at a stop light. I’m not trying to be a show car. So it will be fine. I carry on and complete the first coat.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Upgraded to an FE. A41A7E39-14F3-4077-AFA0-264A4EC1FE0D
Ford Mustang Mach-E Upgraded to an FE. 229A210B-A1A5-4CC0-B53C-410EC7B77A58

So I add a second and even third coat, let it cure for a couple hours and add some Mustang decals I had obtained from Amazon. (Who doesn’t need more ponies?)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Upgraded to an FE. F9B0BAE0-2799-444D-9F0F-BE053D1B343E

Reassembly went pretty well. Calipers off. Backing plates and rotors on. Calipers on. Wheels back on. Off the jack stands. AND THEN THERE IS A PROBLEM. Car won’t get out of Brake Service Mode. I’ve got the procedure in front of me. I’m going step by step and it remains in brake service mode. Car on. Press accelerator and hold. Pull up on parking brake button and hold. Push brake pedal for one second and release. Car off. Car back on. Release accelerator and parking brake. Put your left foot in, take your left foot out. Turn yourself about. Click your heels together three times and say words I can’t type in a family forum. I do this so many times the car gets angry with me and gives me a “stop safely” power train failure. Now it won’t “start” or shift out of park. Ughhhh. I have to walk away for a bit.
Luckily while I’m away the power train failure clears. I had to call a tech on the brake service mode. A very wonderful man named Louis Gaydosh who introduced himself to me over on the Mach-E Nation FB page. He’s a master Ford Tech who loves the MME and has taken the initiative to be certified in EVs. He took my call, remoted in to my car and told me I had a left brake motor not responding. With that knowledge it jarred my memory of plugging the wire connector back in when I replaced the right caliper, BUT MAYBE NOT THE LEFT . So back up on a Jack, pull the left rear tire, plug in the wire, Brake Service mode clears on first attempt (by this time the procedure is muscle memory). Tire back on, off the jacks and I’m finally done. My brakes are obviously not painted by a pro, but how many people will truly notice? AND I paid a total of $30 while getting to know my car better. I call it a win all the way around.
Obligatory Before and After:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Upgraded to an FE. D97A19BD-1FCC-4C10-AAD5-93AF6DF7B77D

Ford Mustang Mach-E Upgraded to an FE. 9CCC3639-1309-4F6E-880F-513213D1D79E

FDA6219C-8C64-4E31-A478-6BDFC9EDE1A8.jpeg

E13BBEC8-AA09-44CD-BDAA-BDF7FA02CE1B.jpeg

E1301452-5EE5-493E-A2D3-8AB401DBFC21.jpeg

Last edited:

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nicely done! Perhaps while it is fresh in your mind, you'd create a "how-to" on entering and exiting brake service mode?

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Nice. Is your wife's car next?
One more thing to do to mine, then we’ll see how much she wants me to do to her’s. She does not want Red calipers, and she isn’t sure black calipers would be visible enough to be worth the effort. But the black and red combo is nice on mine.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Nicely done! Perhaps while it is fresh in your mind, you'd create a "how-to" on entering and exiting brake service mode?
Done. Good suggestion.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
One more thing to do to mine, then we’ll see how much she wants me to do to her’s. She does not want Red calipers, and she isn’t sure black calipers would be visible enough to be worth the effort. But the black and red combo is nice on mine.
but... the red calipers look pretty hawt with the Rapid Red paint ???

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Chevy Bolt EUV
Country flag
Well, not really an FE. But the defining characteristics of an FE are wheel trim that match the paint and those red brake calipers. My MME is black so the wheel trim already matches. But those red brake calipers do look nice. I can do that, right? I’m a handy guy with some good mechanical skills and a garage full of tools looking for a reason to be used. Well, it may not have gone totally as planned (my wife of 19 years is NOT surprised) but I’m happy with the results.
After educating myself on the different ways to paint brake calipers I decided against removing the calipers entirely. The tech manual for rebleeding the brakes says to plug in the diagnostic computer and follow the on screen prompts. I may have a lot of tools, but I am lacking the Ford diagnostic computer in the garage. I also didn’t like the idea of masking the car and spray painting the brakes within the wheel well. My history of masking and spraying isn’t the greatest. Acknowledging my faults is one of my better qualities as my wife will agree (and help me find them). So I decided on the paint and brush route but still wanted to move the calipers so as to not accidentally paint the rotors or pads. I obtained the Duplicolor Caliper Paint kit in Red and waited for a day off work.
My next task was to learn to get the car into brake service mode. The electronic parking brake is otherwise engaged and the calipers can’t be removed. After a little searching and phoning a friend, this was achieved. I put it in brake service mode, took it out of brake service mode to ensure I could, and put it back into service mode get to work. Jacked it up. Supported with stands, removed tires.
The calipers come off pretty easy, each with 2 bolts that are not hidden by a bunch of other stuff. The rear brakes each have a wire connector for the electronic parking brake and then they’re free. I hung them from caliper hangers and was getting ready to paint.

It was then that I realized I was going to have to manipulate the calipers a lot while costing them in wet paint. I got the brilliant idea to go ahead and pull the rotors and backing plates to get them out of the way. I was then able to remount the calipers to the brackets and have them held in place while I painted.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Upgraded to an FE. E1301452-5EE5-493E-A2D3-8AB401DBFC21

NOW ready to get started I did a little wire brushing to prep the surface and a lot of brake cleaner. My car has 400 miles of OPD so there wasn’t hardly anything to clean up. But I did some due diligence and then got down to business. First thing I noticed is that the Duplicolor brush on paint is THICKand it the kind with two C’s. On the large flat surface of the front calipers, brush strokes are quite apparent on close inspection. But who’s going to look that closely at my brakes anyway. I want a little splash of color as I pass people on the highway or pull up next to them at a stop light. I’m not trying to be a show car. So it will be fine. I carry on and complete the first coat.

So I add a second and even third coat, let it cure for a couple hours and add some Mustang decals I had obtained from Amazon. (Who doesn’t need more ponies?)

Reassembly went pretty well. Calipers off. Backing plates and rotors on. Calipers on. Wheels back on. Off the jack stands. AND THEN THERE IS A PROBLEM. Car won’t get out of Brake Service Mode. I’ve got the procedure in front of me. I’m going step by step and it remains in brake service mode. Car on. Press accelerator and hold. Pull up on parking brake button and hold. Push brake pedal for one second and release. Car off. Car back on. Release accelerator and parking brake. Put your left foot in, take your left foot out. Turn yourself about. Click your heels together three times and say words I can’t type in a family forum. I do this so many times the car gets angry with me and gives me a “stop safely” power train failure. Now it won’t “start” or shift out of park. Ughhhh. I have to walk away for a bit.
Luckily while I’m away the power train failure clears. I had to call a tech on the brake service mode. A very wonderful man named Louis Gaydosh who introduced himself to me over on the Mach-E Nation FB page. He’s a master Ford Tech who loves the MME and has taken the initiative to be certified in EVs. He took my call, remoted in to my car and told me I had a left brake motor not responding. With that knowledge it jarred my memory of plugging the wire connector back in when I replaced the right caliper, BUT MAYBE NOT THE LEFT . So back up on a Jack, pull the left rear tire, plug in the wire, Brake Service mode clears on first attempt (by this time the procedure is muscle memory). Tire back on, off the jacks and I’m finally done. My brakes are obviously not painted by a pro, but how many people will truly notice? AND I paid a total of $30 while getting to know my car better. I call it a win all the way around.
Obligatory Before and After:

Nice work! I agree the red brake calipers look fantastic ??

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I was going to have a shop do the brakes for me. Do I need to provide them some documentation on how to do brake service mode and all that? If so could you link what you found so I can make sure the vinyl / car customization shop is aware of it?

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Now got just need to buy some red thread and do the accent stitching on the seats!
Now there’s a thought. Maybe go over the stitching of some seat covers before I put them on. But nobody will see that with my fat butt in the seat anyway. So I’ll save my time. ?

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nice work!

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I was going to have a shop do the brakes for me. Do I need to provide them some documentation on how to do brake service mode and all that? If so could you link what you found so I can make sure the vinyl / car customization shop is aware of it?
Here’s the how-to I wrote up. Might want to provide them the link if they plan to pull the brakes off. I guess a lot of shops paint them in place. But they’re better at masking than I am.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/brake-service-mode-how-to.5203/

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
Looks great, I like the Mustang logo!

In the Raptor world those who buy a F-150 then mod it to be like a Raptor are often labeled Fraptor.... Fake Raptor.

I guess we need to use Fake Edition for the modded First Editions??? ???

How about Mock-E?
Sponsored