First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 x Premium Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone upgraded the DC-DC converter in a premium long range Mach-E? The GT has a higher power DC-DC converter that you can order from the dealership. This allows adding more electronics to the car without draining the battery, i.e. a police interceptor. We have the install scheduled but I am not sure if the service department knows what they are getting into.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
What's the part cost and what's the increase in power over the standard DC-DC converter that shipped with the Premium models?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
They are completely different mounting, plumbing, and battery cables. Remember the GT front motor and mounting is completely different under the hood than the non-GT cars. Your service department will take one look and ask you what you were thinking. Short of a complete custom fabrication job I don't think that swap is possible. I'm not sure why anyone needs a bigger DC/DC anyway, 160 amps is more than enough for the car+accessories.

OP
OP

tjschuster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 x Premium Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
160A is not enough for the car + the autonomous system we are adding. But you are correct that the differences did not allow the dealership to perform the upgrade.

1. The High voltage DC input header and the Low voltage header had positions that were swapped . The amount of slack for the heavy High Voltage harness was marginal at best, to move the HV harness connector to the HV header ~2 inches from its original location.
  2. The number of wires to the in the LV harness were (3) and in the non GT and (4) wires in the GT vehicle. No documentation for the extra wire’s function and location of where it was terminated.
  3. Coolant plumbing was different from the GT and the non GT models. We believe it was doable with the purchase of GT hoses and splicing them into the Non-GT Vehicle but not a simple change.
  4. The 650Amp 3 phase inverter of the GT mounted on top of the front Machine was made by a different supplier than the inverter on top of the front machine of the non-GT (Hitachi vs Denso). The appearance of the two dc/dc converters looked different and they did not have the label of their suppliers, maybe they were not even made by the same supplier, which could be problematic.
  5. They were not very confident that Software was going to work per dealers final analysis with his contacts.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Simple solution: swap the whole front end of a GT into the premium!

On a serious note, what is the rating of the DC-DC converter on the GT?
Sponsored