Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I would never purchase an extended warranty from anyone except the manufacturer. The reason dealers sell "off brand" warranties is that the profit is higher. My F&I guy knew that if he talked with my commercial customers about anything but genuine Ford, he would never see another customer (I am Master Certified in Ford Commercial Finance and could handle it myself) just as I told him if I ever heard the word "etch" in his office with one of my customers he would likewise never see another.
the topic is ESP - in other word Ford's warranty. the point is you can buy it later at any dealer and there's at least three that will sell it to you online for less than the average dealer, sometimes substantially less.
Sponsored

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I generally don't buy Extended warranty of most items. Lately all heavy electronic items
have been different. Circuit board in the 70's, 80's , 90's were a little larger and heaver
and had large tracks of solder between items on those boards. They could be dropped,
kicked, driven for 100,000 of miles and good to go. Hell. I have digital alarm clock , thats good as new from 1981. New electronics is sub miniature with 1000 of components and
miles of lines on connections in a couple of inches square. The one weak link is the circuit
board it is on. They all have limitation, no mater the product they made from. That is generally the starting point of the failure . When that has a minor crack or air pocket or a expansion or contraction issue, it will cause a component failure on the board. It will need to be replaced. NO repair. You NEW MME , has a least 50 high $ and 50 medium $ of these on board. I will purchase a extended warranty and hope I never have to use it. I have a friend that has a 1907 Detroit electric that's still running. No electronics.

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know the online cost for prepaid maintenance? All of the sites I see say to call.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know the online cost for prepaid maintenance? All of the sites I see say to call.
The Mach-E has basically no recommended maintenance. Here's all the manual says:
  • tire rotation every 10,000 miles.
  • Cabin filter every 20,000 miles.
  • Gearbox fluid every 150k/10yr
  • Coolant every 200k
That's it.

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
The Mach-E has basically no recommended maintenance. Here's all the manual says:
  • tire rotation every 10,000 miles.
  • Cabin filter every 20,000 miles.
  • Gearbox fluid every 150k/10yr
  • Coolant every 200k
That's it.
I wanted to have someone do it though because there are a lot of complicated inspections. I asked my current mechanic (I don't have a MME yet) and he said his shop is not equipped for the complexity of EV at the current time. The tough things are numbers three and four below. I'm worried about the warranty not being honored if not having proof of the below being done.

• Rotate the tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.
  • Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.
  • Inspect half-shaft boots.
  • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, drive shaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
  • Inspect cooling system level, strength and hoses
  • Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.
  • Inspect tires and check tire pressures.
  • Perform multi-point inspection.
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Does anyone know which coverage we should look at with the Zeigler plans? The top plan covers a lot, but a lot of things we don't have (including an engine). I'd be afraid that if something went wrong with it motor they're look at the open details and say "nope, not covered." I also don't see verbiage for Magnaride suspension, but MacPherson struts.

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GT500 2021 MACH-E GT/PE
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
Does anyone know which coverage we should look at with the Zeigler plans? The top plan covers a lot, but a lot of things we don't have (including an engine). I'd be afraid that if something went wrong with it motor they're look at the open details and say "nope, not covered." I also don't see verbiage for Magnaride suspension, but MacPherson struts.
Premium Care is the best way to go as this warranty will cover all of the electronics including the stereo/entertainment, speakers etc. Extra Care and below won't cover this equipment, I've seen the regular sized Nav screens go out right at 3 years and cost to replace is astronomical so I'd hate to think what these new large screens would cost!

OP
OP
tuminatr

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I can tell you Premium Care does cover the Magna Ride. I had both the rear shock replaced on my 2013 Lincon MKZ with Magna Ride at 80k miles and it was covered, would have been about a $3600 bill without the warranty.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I can tell you Premium Care does cover the Magna Ride. I had both the rear shock replaced on my 2013 Lincon MKZ with Magna Ride at 80k miles and it was covered, would have been about a $3600 bill without the warranty.
What went wrong with them?

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I think you can purchase it up until you hit 36k miles or three years.

OP
OP
tuminatr

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I think you can purchase it up until you hit 36k miles or three years.
The Ziegler site says 42m and 42k miles but I would do it before 36k 36m to be safe
What went wrong with them?
Error codes, some kind of clunking sound and they were not holding pressure/ and were weeping oil / hydraulic fluid

You don't repair struts you replace them. That 2013 MKZ was like my MME produced in the first 90 days and a new platform for Ford

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The Ziegler site says 42m and 42k miles but I would do it before 36k 36m to be safe

Error codes, some kind of clunking sound and they were not holding pressure/ and were weeping oil / hydraulic fluid

You don't repair struts you replace them. That 2013 MKZ was like my MME produced in the first 90 days and a new platform for Ford
Cool... Always interested in data points like this.

I had a dealer replace leaking rear shocks (simple hydraulic, not magnetoheological) on my 2014 Fiesta at a cost of roughly $500 and about the same mileage as your MKZ.

OP
OP
tuminatr

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Cool... Always interested in data points like this.

I had a dealer replace leaking rear shocks (simple hydraulic, not magnetoheological) on my 2014 Fiesta at a cost of roughly $500 and about the same mileage as your MKZ.
At the time 2016-2017 ish the MKZ parts were more than your whole job. Out of curiosity, I looked today and the Magna Ride struts for an MKZ are around $300-350 each
Sponsored