US EV incentive rumored to increase to $10,000 [CLOSED DUE TO VIOLATION OF NO POLITICS RULES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2021/04/06/us-electric-car-incentive-program-reform/

Pretty interesting read. If the rumors hold true, wonder how long it'll be till we see this bump in incentive amount?

Additionally, the Senate Parliamentarian has cleared the way for Senate Majority Leader Schumer to use reconciliation for the mentioned infrastructure bill, so he can bring it to the Senate floor and move it through by simple majority, taking away any filibuster moves by the Republicans. Source

Looking good for the future of EV's!
Sponsored

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Some type of extension of the credits has always been likely. An extension passed the House and Senate in 2019 or 2020 but was killed by the Trump Administration which threatened to veto. When you realize in what states BEVs would be assembled -- Tennessee and Texas being examples -- you can understand the bi-partisan appeal of the subsidy.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
This is great news. It makes me wonder if I should extend my current lease (I can add up to 6 months) and wait a bit longer. Not only will there be more supply to meet demand, but there might be even more incentives available ?

OP
OP
NoVAguy

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
This is great news. It makes me wonder if I should extend my current lease (I can add up to 6 months) and wait a bit longer. Not only will there be more supply to meet demand, but there might be even more incentives available ?
I know it's still all rumors, but I honestly don't see many road blocks that would prevent this from being push forward and signed into law. It's simply a matter of how quickly our government decides it wants to move on this.. which we all know can be VERY slow at times.

OP
OP
NoVAguy

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Some type of extension of the credits has always been likely. An extension passed the House and Senate in 2019 or 2020 but was killed by the Trump Administration which threatened to veto. When you realize in what states BEVs would be assembled -- Tennessee and Texas being examples -- you can understand the bi-partisan appeal of the subsidy.
The problem is not so much the subsidy, but the overall infrastructure bill, which Senate Republicans have already voiced opposition against.

But with the Parliamentarian allowing the bill through reconciliation, it can still pass the Senate with no Republican support. I think that was the game changer that could allow us to see the increased subsidy sooner rather than later.

But again, it's still all rumors.. so we will sit and wait and see how this all plays out.

Gambling on an additional 2.5k later might not be worth it to those people in regions that already see a 2.5k incentive for Ford options, since there's always the possibility of that incentive being done away with by the time this rumored increase makes its way down to the consumer.

Reactions: DBC

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2021/04/06/us-electric-car-incentive-program-reform/

Pretty interesting read. If the rumors hold true, wonder how long it'll be till we see this bump in incentive amount?

Additionally, the Senate Parliamentarian has cleared the way for Senate Majority Leader Schumer to use reconciliation for the mentioned infrastructure bill, so he can bring it to the Senate floor and move it through by simple majority, taking away any filibuster moves by the Republicans. Source

Looking good for the future of EV's!
Good for us, bad for the country.?

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
What are you worried about? "A rising tide floats all boats." BTW, the Mach-E is a superior design...that's why I chose the Mach-E GT over the Model 3 Performance. I could care less about the price...the M3 looks like a sock filled with sand.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
As we see with solar install prices in the US, EV prices will simply rise another $2,500. Not saying that is bad necessarily, it would encourage car makers to invest more in EVs. But I'm saying you will not save that money.

rfrommd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER RWD
Country flag
It's potentially worse than that. There are rumors that the new credit will only apply to vehicles built in the US ... which the Mach-E is not.

rfrommd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER RWD
Country flag
I think Ford would adjust accordingly. Chevy has.
I'm also wondering if Tesla, with their habit of changing pricing on a whim, will also adjust accordingly. They could use the extra cash per unit to invest in their service centers.

OP
OP
NoVAguy

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
It's potentially worse than that. There are rumors that the new credit will only apply to vehicles built in the US ... which the Mach-E is not.
That totally slipped my mind that the Mach-E is built in Mexico!.. I read "American Made EV's" and immediately thought Ford=American Made.

Good catch!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.