US EV incentive rumored to increase to $10,000 [CLOSED DUE TO VIOLATION OF NO POLITICS RULES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Excellent point. The cost of a Tesla could actually go up ?
We're actually discussing this in some of the Tesla groups. We're hoping not. We've seen Tesla lower prices to coincide with losing the tax credit in the past but have seen small upticks since then overall as demand isn't shrinking.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I think Ford would adjust accordingly. Chevy has.
Tesla has moved their pricing with the tax credit law. Look for Tesla to raise their price if the new proposed tax credit is signed into law. Would Ford and other EV makers dothe same.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Prices will not change that much this year as next year. With all the new players joining next year, the price wars will start. Suppliers will be pushed and squeezed for cheaper parts. There is only so much give and take though. Part of the price increase with Tesla and other auto companies delaying longer, or not cutting prices is suppliers. Suppliers can't keep up or can't make the product for the same price.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
However a new or extended tax credit is done, I hope Congress and the Administration does it in a way where most of that value isn’t captured by companies that already have stratospheric market valuations - would seem to be a poor use of government debt when there are so many other things that the money could be spent on or not spent at all as the debt is already so high.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I'm sure there are many folks that have/will price shop the MY and Mach E, but I feel that the majority who are choosing the Ford over Tesla are doing so for many other reasons, which have been well catalogued here. For me personally it was a combination of style, comfort, brand loyalty, etc combined with the fact I can't drive 2 blocks without seeing a dozen freaking Teslas lol

OP
OP
NoVAguy

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
However a new or extended tax credit is done, I hope Congress and the Administration does it in a way where most of that value isn’t captured by companies that already have stratospheric market valuations - would seem to be a poor use of government debt when there are so many other things that the money could be spent on or not spent at all as the debt is already so high.
Agreed!

Reactions: ARK

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
It sounds like they might add a 'cap' on how much of a benefit a buyer would receive, depending upon the MSRP of the vehicle they get. This makes sense to me. If you can afford a $100K EV, you probably don't need the tax credit (or any other government incentives).

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It sounds like they might add a 'cap' on how much of a benefit a buyer would receive, depending upon the MSRP of the vehicle they get. This makes sense to me. If you can afford a $100K EV, you probably don't need the tax credit (or any other government incentives).
Honestly that's how incentives should be designed.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
Last I checked Mexico and the rest of the western hemisphere are in the "Americas". I also think Tesla would increase their prices, "+$10k, but the performance boost, range extending and 'FSD' packages are included" or the new price reflects new-ish battery tech blah blah blah.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
They won't be able to get these types of pie in the sky proposals through. Joe Manchin will not vote for them as written. The best they can hope for is the $7500 for all manufacturers, and it looks like they will probably slip in an US manufactured requirement (which no politician will publicly come out against) which will make the Mach E ineligible.

It is always easy to say someone else doesn't need the credit. The guy shopping for a $30K car could take a look at the Mach E and say that someone spending 50-65K on a car doesn't need a tax credit either. The goal of the tax credit is not to subsidize purchases for individual buyers, rather it is to incentivize sales of EVs by removing much of the cost difference so that the industry can scale such that eventually there is no cost difference between ICE and EVs.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
That totally slipped my mind that the Mach-E is built in Mexico!.. I read "American Made EV's" and immediately thought Ford=American Made.

Good catch!
Isn't MME made in Mexico???

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Having spent time in a Model X and now the MachE, we wouldn't have changed our mind even if the Tesla is cheaper. The MachE is just that good and we're more impressed each day and that new vehicle excitement that usually goes away after a bit, hasn't at all. This car is that good. It's not that the Tesla is bad, it's just the MachE is really an enjoyable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.