US EV incentive rumored to increase to $10,000 [CLOSED DUE TO VIOLATION OF NO POLITICS RULES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Isn't MME made in Mexico???
Mexico and Canada are both in America (North American subset, along with the United States). My Focus RS was made 96% in Germany.
Sponsored

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Mexico and Canada are both in America (North American subset, along with the United States). My Focus RS was made 96% in Germany.
Yes but it's not really German unless your getting it 'Maintained(aka repaired)' on a monthly basis like a 'Real' German vehicle!

Last edited:

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Yes but it's not really German unless your getting it 'Maintained' on a monthly basis like a 'Real' German vehicle!
It was maintained, but mostly for the "Younited States of 'Merica"-made headliner (that's the 4%).

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Isn't MME made in Mexico???
Perhaps the new potential law would force Ford to make the car in the USA?
Labor cost would be higher, but the tax credits 9and other incentives) would be much better.
This puts more Americans to work, and more EVs on the road. WIN-WIN :)

OP
OP
NoVAguy

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
They won't be able to get these types of pie in the sky proposals through. Joe Manchin will not vote for them as written. The best they can hope for is the $7500 for all manufacturers, and it looks like they will probably slip in an US manufactured requirement (which no politician will publicly come out against) which will make the Mach E ineligible.
I guess this goes back to the specific language in bill that eventually gets put forward. Will "Made in America" = "Made in the USA"? Because if so, then yes the Mach-E would become ineligible.

But if "Made in America" means any vehicle made in North America, then the Mach-E would (should) not be affected.

We need answers!

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Automakers (and other manufacturers) made multi-billion dollar investments in plants in Mexico and Canada based on NAFTA. It would seem very unfair to penalize them now for decisions made due to past government policies. Ford is a domestic manufacturer and I'm sure has plenty of lobbying clout, so it would make sense to me that "made in the Americas" could be a good compromise and include cars made in Mexico and Canada. Time will tell.

CyanLite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
A Tesla Model Y with $10k discount is ~$40k fully loaded (without FSD). A comparable Mach-E premium after Tax credit is $48k. I don't think that's favorable for Ford or the Mach-E.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
When politicos say " American Made", they don't mean Mexico or Canada. They mean USA.
What politicos say and mean can vary widely, depending in large part on which way the wind is blowing at that exact second. :cool:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
What politicos say and mean can vary widely, depending in large part on which way the wind is blowing at that exact second. :cool:
Bottom line: they are not trying to please unions in Mexico.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Good for us, bad for the country.?
The infrastructure is way more extensive than EV credits. FWIW it's definitely good for country. Every analysis indicates an ROI in the high teens or low twenties for most of the projects. That ROI would make most CEOs wet their panties. Making things more compelling, while the yield curve has shifted up a bit recently, the interest rate on 10-30 year Treasurys is 1.5%-2.5%. Doesn't take a genius to figure out rebuilding infrastructure is a great idea.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
When someone says "american made" they typically mean made in the United States. Technically all of North and South America are "America", but why would the government want to give preference to Mexican and Canadian made vehicles...that would make no sense. The government can not give give preference on tax credits to American companies, as the would be akin to illegal government subsidies.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The infrastructure is way more extensive than EV credits. FWIW it's definitely good for country. Every analysis indicates an ROI in the high teens or low twenties for most of the projects. That ROI would make most CEOs wet their panties. Making things more compelling, while the yield curve has shifted up a bit recently, the interest rate on 10-30 year Treasurys is 1.5%-2.5%. Doesn't take a genius to figure out rebuilding infrastructure is a great idea.
yup.

"remember how terrible the TVA and WPA were? what a waste of money those were!" said no one, ever.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That totally slipped my mind that the Mach-E is built in Mexico!.. I read "American Made EV's" and immediately thought Ford=American Made.

Good catch!
Although with NAFTA (replaced by USMCA last year), there may be some technicalities that would allow cars manufactured in Canada or Mexico to count. Not sure what the real answer is, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a definitional loophole regarding "American Made" in there somewhere.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.