First Name
M
Vehicles
Mach E GT reserved, Land Rover Discovery, Mazda CX-5,
Occupation
Daddy of the Mach Daddy
Country flag
Ford will likely hit 200,000 sometime in 2021
That’s my fear as a GT rez holder. Though the elections might bring an extension of the credit.

Base Mach E buyers also get a great benefit in WA. No sales tax, which for new cars can be over 11% in the Seattle area.

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
That’s my fear as a GT rez holder. Though the elections might bring an extension of the credit.

Base Mach E buyers also get a great benefit in WA. No sales tax, which for new cars can be over 11% in the Seattle area.
The credit is good for the entire quarter in which the 200,000th is sold, plus the calendar quarter following, before dropping by 50% for two quarters, and by 50% again for two more quarters. So you'll get something.

eager2own

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Ford has sold 120,795 of the 200,000 vehicles under the Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit as of 12/31/2019. Ford will likely hit 200,000 sometime in 2021 with the remaining Fusion Energis to be sold, Escape PHEV and Lincoln Aviator and Corsair PHEVs on sale, and the Mach-E joining in late 2020.
Ford was at 121K units at the start of this year. Keep in mind, Ford only sold 8,300 qualifying vehicles in all of 2019.
I doubt that they did even that pace the first half of this year with depressed sales (especially on non-Tesla EVs), but let's say they've sold 5k. So Ford might be at 126k units sold to date.
They will sell 14k MMEs in the U.S. over the next twelve months and, at most, 8k units of the other EVs not including MMEs or Escapes. That gets them to 148k units.
I don't know how successful the Escape PHEV will be in the next twelve months, but it won't be selling 50k.
But even if Ford knocks it out of the park in the next twelve months, in an absolute worst case scenario, the 200k mark is reached beginning of Q3 and the full credit is still valid that quarter and the subsequent Q4.
In my view, a worst case scenario is that the full tax credit is only available through Dec. 31, 2021. And of course, we still get 50% for six months after that.

TLDR Version: I'm still not worried about not getting 100% fed. tax credit on a 2021 GT.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Reaction score
First Name
M
Vehicles
Mach E GT reserved, Land Rover Discovery, Mazda CX-5,
Occupation
Daddy of the Mach Daddy
Country flag
TLDR Version: I'm still not worried about not getting 100% fed. tax credit on a 2021 GT.
I’ll take it! I had been sweating Bullits since I only sold my wife on the GT Performance with the tax credit 🤫...it has to be close to the MY Performance price.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
C-Max Energi: 40k total
Fusion Energi: 53k total
Focus Electric: 9.2k total
Looks like Ford is about 1/2 way there. A full year of 50k of MME's brings them 3/4 of the way there (not to mention the addition of the Escape PHEV). Of course not all of that 50k will be in the US but I would bet the balance of the 50k is filled in with the Escape.
We've heard only about 15k-20k of the 50k 2021 MMEs will be sold in the US. But then the 2022's should go on sale in 4Q2021. I'd guess that it will take BOTH model years to reach near 50k in US sales.

Escape PHEV is an unknown, but sales of PHEV versions of existing ICE models are still slow to take off because they're significantly more expensive. The recession will likely keep them slow for a while.

The F-150 BEV will come along at some point but it's sounding more like at least 2022 now.

My guess is that Ford won't reach the 200,000 limit until 2022. And then there's an extra quarter of full credits after the quarter they hit the number. I think it's probably safe until at least 2Q2022. Maybe even 3Q or 4Q.