breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
For the record, I am not actually asking you guys what the fix is....just sharing the story.

My co worker bought a used 2014 P85D in Atlanta yesterday. He planned to drive it back to STL in a day using the supercharger network. Purchased from a Mercedes dealer. He flew down and picked it up, did the ownership transfer process (says it takes up to 72 hours), and started driving. Stopped in Chattanooga to supercharge. It charged to 100% and then said "supercharging unavailable, please add payment method". Problem is he has a payment method on his account but this is the old owners account still registered to the car. Tesla requires a human to check the documents to transfer account ownership...unlike Ford who you just accept a prompt in the vehicle after resetting the radio.

On his way to Nashville he called me and asked me to see if I had any ideas what he could do. He would rather not get stranded or have to use L2 charging overnight.

I called the Nashville Tesla dealer who said to call roadside assistance and ask them. They also said they were sold out of chademo adapters so they couldn't sell him one. Called our local Tesla dealer - they had one but said they couldn't sell it until Monday because the guy who could process the transaction wasn't in until Monday. His son was willing to meet him with the adapter.

He called roadside and they said they couldn't do anything and he was out of luck. He was hoping maybe they could just turn on the charger like EA can for people. He also called normal Tesla customer service but they are closed on weekends.

He ended up giving up and charged overnight on L2 in Nashville, then got up early and charged in Paducah on L2 for several hours before continuing all the way home.

In any other electric car this would never be an issue. Tesla needs to figure out a way to at least let someone one time pay for supercharging or something. If roadside can't help him he is going to park it at the airport and fly back then go get it when it is added to his account. Really stupid issue that should be solved.

In hindsight I'm sure others have had this exact issue when buying a used Tesla but he didn't forsee it or look into it. The dealer told him it had the unlimited free supercharging and it would be fine. We were both skeptical that it would keep it considering Tesla seems to remove it from second owners sometimes, but he assumed he could still pay for the supercharging. No such luck...
Sponsored

Last edited:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
No offense but you would be better posting this question on a Tesla forum.

Unless it’s rhetorical and just letting us know Tesla has issues too.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don't know, I thought it was an interesting read

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
When Teslas get too old to use superchargers then they go to the Tesla Graveyard here in Phoenix.

(Just kidding of course......)

20210321_162421.jpg

20210321_162418.jpg

20210321_162416.jpg

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
When Teslas get too old to use superchargers then they go to the Tesla Graveyard here in Phoenix.

(Just kidding of course......)
Mustangs that get too old get sent to a glue factory farm upstate.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
No offense but you would be better posting this question on a Tesla forum.

Unless it’s rhetorical and just letting us know Tesla has issues too.
It is rhetorical. I'm not actually asking the question, just telling the story.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Another reason they should have moved to CCS long ago. But yes, that's a flaw with their locked down approach to everything.

Cursory Googling suggests that checking Tesla.com -> History on a web browser (not the app) and clearing any unpaid Supercharging balance there may fix it? https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/167827/supercharger-unable-to-add-payment-method
Thanks for the advice. He has a payment method on there. The issue is the car is still on the previous owners account and it takes 3 days for the account ownership to transfer according to Tesla.
Sponsored