JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I'm on a 5 day trip with only access to a 120 at night. I did fast charge to 80% and plugged in about an hour ago. The Ford App say 1 kWh is all it is doing. Is this average? I brought a very long extention cord as I was unsure the distance to an outlet, would getting a short cord help improve? Finally I'll be outside with the charger hanging on a basketball poll, any thing I should consider? I'm north of Atlanta and we will get rain and maybe ice snow Sunday.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I'm on a 5 day trip with only access to a 120 at night. I did fast charge to 80% and plugged in about an hour ago. The Ford App say 1 kWh is all it is doing. Is this average? I brought a very long extention cord as I was unsure the distance to an outlet, would getting a short cord help improve? Finally I'll be outside with the charger hanging on a basketball poll, any thing I should consider? I'm north of Atlanta and we will get rain and maybe ice snow Sunday.
Yes, 1kWh was all I was able to get last time I used L1 charging.
With an extended range battery, you can increase the battery charge by about 1% per hour that way.

Make sure you have a good outdoor rated extension cord that can handle 15A continuous.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes, that's it. Around 2.8 - 3 miles per hour.

Make sure the outlet plug is protected with a cover, and keep the charger fitting where the 120 plugs into the cord out of sitting water, and ideally driving rain.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Thanks tomorrow in the light I'll look at maybe direct plug into outside outlet with charger. This is painfully slow lol.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Thanks tomorrow in the light I'll look at maybe direct plug into outside outlet with charger. This is painfully slow lol.
It is very slow, but it works well if you plug in every time the car is sitting still. I took mine to the Outer Banks, NC, where the nearest fast charger is an hour away. I charged at the beach house using the 120V outlet and got enough charge to get me home. I did go shopping and did some L2 charging at a restaurant, but really it was the L1 that gave me what I needed. We were only there two days.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I put a meter on mine as a test last summer and measured 1250 watts.

Honestly, when on a road trip covered by DCFC chargers, I wouldn't even bother plugging in overnight at 120V. Gains very little, and you risk someone stealing your charger. Extension cords aren't the best idea either.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I'm staying at my sisters house, it is a gated high end community. The nearest fast charge is about 25 min away.

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Have only had to do it 3 times. My parents don't have an EV back home and on a couple vacations. Expect 72 hours to go from close to empty to full.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
On the plus side my first long trip is going well. I tried 3 charging locations and everything worked seamless. 1 was free bother city, 1 was chargpoint and I paid $3.62, my credits didn't work, and one was EA and it was fastest and free with credits.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Free charging is only at EA.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Put the charger in the frunk, and partially close it, if you are concerned about weather. This would require an extension cord of course.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
It takes 3 days at 120v to charge from 20% to 80%. It’s torture. I have my mobile charger permanently attached to the wall in my garage. At 240v it usually takes 5 hours to bring it back to 90%.

My solution is either plan the trip around level 2, or fast chargers, or use a different vehicle. My backup car is a 45 mpg hybrid.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I only use a 120 line since I got the car last Feb......almost at 10000 miles......I use the car for local driving, all trips under, say 60 miles......retired so no daily commute......we have had some really cold temps the last day or so (19 degrees).......I had the car plugged in during that cold spell and according to FordPass, I added an estimated range of 4 miles per hour......during the warmer months I have gotten 5 miles per hour......

now, I have said this before, just as our estimated range is based a lot on our driving style, I believe when I charge with the 120 line, that too is affected by driving styles......since I got the car I have never gotten less than 4 miles per hour of estimated range when charging......for my needs that's enough......

of course, being on a trip would cause more concern using a Level 1 charger......
Sponsored