Using chargers at Kia/Hyundai/Toyota dealerships- weird?

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Thanksgiving travel plans involve the charging desert that is western Massachusetts. The "best" charging options are at Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai dealerships (no chargers at any Ford dealerships. Hmmmm....).

Anybody hung out in a competitor's lot to charge? Any weird looks?
Sponsored

DC Pony

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Ex Mustang Mach E Starlight White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I charged at a Mercedes dealership. Of course it was on Sunday and they were closed. Interestingly as we were sitting there a gentleman walked up and I got out to visit. He was a Mercedes owner there to charge his car and had noticed a level 2 on the wall of the dealership near the service bay doors so that's where he hooked up. He'd been there over an hour. Little did he know there was a level 3 on the back of the car lot that I'd found with my charge point app. I did about 30 minutes an was on my way. I assume he moved to the level 3 after I left.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I charged at a Mercedes dealership. Of course it was on Sunday and they were closed. Interestingly as we were sitting there a gentleman walked up and I got out to visit. He was a Mercedes owner there to charge his car and had noticed a level 2 on the wall of the dealership near the service bay doors so that's where he hooked up. He'd been there over an hour. Little did he know there was a level 3 on the back of the car lot that I'd found with my charge point app. I did about 30 minutes an was on my way. I assume he moved to the level 3 after I left.
#PlugShareIsHard

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I charged at a Nissan dealership and it was weird. The dealership was on the way back home and Plugshare reviews confirmed that they let people charge there. Some of the dealerships will let you charge any cars. Some locations will only let the brand charging. I think if the dealerships are in a Blue Oval network, they would have to let you charge MME. I came across a Ford dealership with many L2 chargers in the parking lot that would not let anyone charge an EV per Plugshare.

vortix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E GT
Country flag
I charged my Mach E at a Mazda dealership that used to be a Nissan dealership. It had an old but functional L2 charger out front. I was helping a family member shop for a car, and the dealership certainly didn't mind that I was using the available charger. They said it comes in handy for the times when they have a used PHEV or EV on the lot to sell.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Make sure that the chargers you hope to use are available when the dealership is closed.

Sometimes they are behind locked gates.

OP
OP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Make sure that the chargers you hope to use are available when the dealership is closed.

Sometimes they are behind locked gates.
Good tip, there.

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
I routinely charge at GM and VW dealers when I need a quick charge because they are free and public. As long as they offer public charging to everyone, not weird at all.

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
I should clarify that I am not suggesting all GM and VW dealers offer free charging. Just those near my location and common destination.

OP
OP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I got lucky, and despite dire concerns about the cold temps cracking a battery case and leaking electrons everywhere I was able to drive 97 miles, trickle charge 23% overnight, then drive home, with about 60 miles left on the GOM at 36%. The Nav GOM guesstimated I'd be at 50 miles left, and my BOTEC suggested that was a reasonable, if optimistic, estimate, so I was pleasantly surprised with the extra cushion.

In the end, didn't need to use either of the chargers, but appreciate the guidance as I included them in my contingency planning.
Sponsored