VA Folks - REMINDER - Car Tax is Due by Today ?

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Time to pay the piper! That time of year, the dreaded personal property tax bill. This year is "fun" with the Mach-E in the mix. They used MSRP I think for the "assessed value" as of Jan 1 - $52,xxx for my Premium AWD SR. Came out to approx $1400. Car insurance premium, along with a few other items were also all due at the same time for me. When it rains, it pours!!! Happy New Fiscal Year ? ?

Just a friendly PSA for my Virginia peeps.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Time to pay the piper! That time of year, the dreaded personal property tax bill. This year is "fun" with the Mach-E in the mix. They used MSRP I think for the "assessed value" as of Jan 1 - $52,xxx for my Premium AWD SR. Came out to approx $1400. Car insurance premium, along with a few other items were also all due at the same time for me. When it rains, it pours!!! Happy New Fiscal Year ? ?

Just a friendly PSA for my Virginia peeps.
The due dates vary by county. Down here in Botetourt they aren't due until November 1st.

This is the most expensive car I've ever owned, so was a slight shock seeing the amount on my bill, that's for sure.

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
And not even a full twelve months of ownership. Wait until next year! :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Nav

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Car tax? I've never heard of such craziness. Didn't you already pay tax when you bought it?

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
Car tax? I've never heard of such craziness. Didn't you already pay tax when you bought it?
This tax, and depending upon jurisdiction a registration fee, are in addition to state sales tax when you buy a vehicle.

"Personal property taxes and real estate taxes are local taxes, which means they're administered by cities, counties, and towns in Virginia. Tax rates differ depending on where you live. Use the map below to find your city or county's website to look up rates, due dates, payment information, and contact information."
https://www.tax.virginia.gov/property-tax-and-real-estate-tax-questions

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This tax, and depending upon jurisdiction a registration fee, are in addition to state sales tax when you buy a vehicle.

"Personal property taxes and real estate taxes are local taxes, which means they're administered by cities, counties, and towns in Virginia. Tax rates differ depending on where you live. Use the map below to find your city or county's website to look up rates, due dates, payment information, and contact information."
https://www.tax.virginia.gov/property-tax-and-real-estate-tax-questions
Yikes, this sounds truly awful. I don't like having to pay the Vermont registration fee of $68 a year, but I don't think I'll complain.

• Haha
OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
The due dates vary by county. Down here in Botetourt they aren't due until November 1st.

This is the most expensive car I've ever owned, so was a slight shock seeing the amount on my bill, that's for sure.
Oh didn't know that. Perhaps I should have said Northern VA then. Cuz you know... we are special, right? :cool: I know for sure a couple neighboring counties have it due today. Most expensive bill for me as well to date... and you got a first edition, oof!
Sucks every year, cuz it is ALWAYS due on my birthday. That's also why I've never forgotten to pay this since the time i've been driving my own car. Ha! Cruel joke, VA. ?

Tell me about it! We do also pay sales tax on it at time of purchase, although at a lower rate than our neighbors in MD. It adds up year after year though, and the rate has been increasing. Not sure what the delta is now, but it sucks! The two constants in life... death and taxes

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Oh didn't know that. Perhaps I should have said Northern VA then. Cuz you know... we are special, right? :cool: I know for sure a couple neighboring counties have it due today. Most expensive bill for me as well to date... and you got a first edition, oof!
Sucks every year, cuz it is ALWAYS due on my birthday. That's also why I've never forgotten to pay this since the time i've been driving my own car. Ha! Cruel joke, VA. ?

Tell me about it! We do also pay sales tax on it at time of purchase, although at a lower rate than our neighbors in MD. It adds up year after year though, and the rate has been increasing. Not sure what the delta is now, but it sucks! The two constants in life... death and taxes
Yup, even ā€œNorthern Virginiaā€ isnā€™t a block. Just over the mountains in Northern Virginia, ours are due Ā½ in June and Ā½ in December. Iā€™m not looking forward to the amount that itā€™s going to beā€¦probably at least what would work out to $150/month.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Yikes, this sounds truly awful. I don't like having to pay the Vermont registration fee of $68 a year, but I don't think I'll complain.
In Virginia, we pay sales tax when you purchase it (about 4.15% on cars if I remember correctly). Then there are the registration fees that are about $35/year. Oh, unless itā€™s an electric vehicle, then itā€™s $109/year. Personalized plates, special group plates, or clean fuel plates are extra, of course. Then thereā€™s the annual inspection fee, which is about $20/year unless you have a nice dealer who does it free as long as you bought the car from them (I donā€™t on the MME). Personal property taxes vary, but generally think the MME is going to be about $1600/year, best guess. That amount goes down over time with depreciation, but itā€™s not a fast slope to be sure. Depending on your county, you either pay it lump sum annually or split across two six-month gapped payments.

Oh, wait! I forgot, I live in an incorporated town, so I pay the car tax to the county and ANOTHER tax to the city (thatā€™s less, but still in the hundreds) on top of the county tax at the same intervals. How could I have forgotten?

• Sad
OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Yup, even ā€œNorthern Virginiaā€ isnā€™t a block. Just over the mountains in Northern Virginia, ours are due Ā½ in June and Ā½ in December. Iā€™m not looking forward to the amount that itā€™s going to beā€¦probably at least what would work out to $150/month.
Oh ok so similar to property tax on your house, etc. ... And ouch you have local city tax too i just read.
I know up to Loudon county they have similar to Fairfax and PW. Not sure about Fauquier and beyond though.

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
And depending on when you bought also affects your due date just to complicate matters further. Bought Scotty in June; have until December to come up with that "Supplemental PPT"... he's worth it though.

jeng

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Coinceldentlly my Federal tax refund came in around the same time as the car tax bill. So the money went from one government to another.
Sponsored

• Haha