VA Tax Incentive?

GregM

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Trying to find if VA offers an EV tax incentive, but having a hard time to find current information for 2020...anyone out there with some knowledge?? thanks

KAustin

Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Trying to find if VA offers an EV tax incentive, but having a hard time to find current information for 2020...anyone out there with some knowledge?? thanks
Unfortunately, no. With the special tag you can use the HOV lanes, but there are some restrictions on that. Legislature is supposed to make a decision on November for implementation by December 2021.

methorian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition (Reservation)
Country flag
Unfortunately, no. With the special tag you can use the HOV lanes, but there are some restrictions on that. Legislature is supposed to make a decision on November for implementation by December 2021.
Exactly as they said, none yet.

You may be able to get some time-of-day electricity billing for your EV, depending on your provider. I know Appalachian Power just introduced it... (Could save a little bit on charging).

OP

GregM

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Exactly as they said, none yet.

You may be able to get some time-of-day electricity billing for your EV, depending on your provider. I know Appalachian Power just introduced it... (Could save a little bit on charging).
I work for Dominion - we are introducing time of use rates as well, but the SCC keeps rejecting our plans to roll out smart meters, which is needed for time of use rates to actually work...

methorian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I work for Dominion - we are introducing time of use rates as well, but the SCC keeps rejecting our plans to roll out smart meters, which is needed for time of use rates to actually work...
Really? I thought Dominion had been offering it for a while... That's who my parents have.

I know AEP put in new smart meters not too long ago (mine included), wonder why you guys are having such a hard time? Regardless, hope more electric providers are able to offer moving forward.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to bother with AEP's offering or not. Don't want to have to get a permit and inspection and add another meter inside my garage, but we'll see.

OP

GregM

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Really? I thought Dominion had been offering it for a while... That's who my parents have.

I know AEP put in new smart meters not too long ago (mine included), wonder why you guys are having such a hard time? Regardless, hope more electric providers are able to offer moving forward.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to bother with AEP's offering or not. Don't want to have to get a permit and inspection and add another meter inside my garage, but we'll see.
If you have a smart meter, you should be able to switch your current rate program to the time of use one that AEP offers...don't need a second meter.

SCC is giving us a hard time for the cost of smart meters and what they see as not having a rate structure that fully helps save customers money...although we have one/proposed others...we are still rolling out smart meters (I just got one last month) but at a slower clip.

methorian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you have a smart meter, you should be able to switch your current rate program to the time of use one that AEP offers...don't need a second meter.

SCC is giving us a hard time for the cost of smart meters and what they see as not having a rate structure that fully helps save customers money...although we have one/proposed others...we are still rolling out smart meters (I just got one last month) but at a slower clip.
Unfortunately AEP doesn't offer whole home time-of-day billing. From their website for the new EV time of day rates, you have to have a smart meter for your main, and then also install a secondary smart meter off your EV charging circuit. Didn't look to far into it, but that's what their online page shows.

KAustin

Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
You can find some additional information here. https://www.virginiaev.org/ Not the best site as there is some older information, but their twitter feed is seemingly up to date.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Talk to your VA legislators. Many are open to the idea of EV rebates and need to hear from their constituents.

KAustin

Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Talk to your VA legislators. Many are open to the idea of EV rebates and need to hear from their constituents.
It's being considered now. The governor has a task force and they are supposed to provide their feedback in November.