Vacation Trips - Not in a Mach E

RMS21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, CMax, Corvette
Country flag
For our 800 mile trips the MachE will require 3 stops of 1 hour for a recharge. I don't believe I can spend the extra time waiting on electricity. The MachE may be fine for around town/work commuting, but day trips or vacations it will not work. I have been trying to make myself like the GT version in Grabber Blue, as were my two previous Mustangs were, but it will not cut it for me as we are preparing to be a one car family. Once our 2017 C-Max is finished with its "tour of duty" I will start looking at the Explorer again.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Renting is also an option, depending on how often you take those 800 mile trips.

Out here it's still a charging "desert," and I'm guessing it will remain that way for many more years. So I'm facing the same potential issue that you've described. I still need to test drive the Mach-E, but if all goes well, I'm okay with the occasional rental car since I won't need it more than once or twice a year.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
We really don't know what the charging curve looks like, or what the actual range will be. If the large battery charges "up to 80%" in 45 minutes, and if the miles/kWh are like every other EV on the market, then you could probably do it in one stop. But those are big "ifs", so I'm going to wait for more info before I decide. Also, we usually stop several times to use the restroom, get snacks, eat a meal, etc on a long trip like that. Hopefully, the charging network will be built out by the time the Mach-E arrives and we can use those "down times" that we normally take to charge. So the normal stop times won't be "wasted".

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
In 800 miles, I am assuming you will be stopping for food and maybe an overnight stay? You can plan accordingly with the FordPass and/or PlugShare apps. Is it as convenient as just filling up at a gas station? No, but if I owned a restaurant near a busy highway, I would invest in putting in some chargers.

frinesi2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Golf TDI, '96/97 ZJ 4.0L, '92 Pajero 2.5TD
Country flag
Yes that is still one of the limitations of electric cars.

Luckily for us we can go to Deep Creek Lake, Ocean City MD, and maybe even Watkins Glen if we stretch it. Or take one of the gas/diesels if we can't.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
800 mile trips seem very rare for most people. I think I am in the minority for my weekly drive (~500 miles per week currently), but even my drive would be fine with the Mach E. Road trips, rent or wait until the fast charging is readily available for mass market. Some Teslas are supposed to get very fast supercharging.

shoo

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Yea.. same issue here. I am getting the premium.... not extended batteries. the fact that I can't make it out of Georgia from Atlanta driving to Miami... is a bummer.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
There is a guy who has a Chevy Bolt that drives 500 mile trips all the time. You can see his videos on you tube, newscoulomb, Chevy Bolt Road Trips. He proves it can be done but there are some inconveniences.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
A Ford PR photo from an interior of a Premium extended range Mach-e revealed a 3.6 mile per kWh of energi use. This means getting over 300 miles per full charge should be possible.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Don't see why the Mach E couldn't be a road trip car just requires a little planning.

OP
OP

RMS21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, CMax, Corvette
Country flag
Drive three hours then look for a charging station, must likely not near the interstate, and wait one hour for the recharge. A full day now will become one and a half days.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Plugshare has a listing you can use before starting the trip. My phev has an on board listing of charging stations that Express of a button will reveal where they are at. Your vehicle can tell you when you need to stop.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Drive three hours then look for a charging station, must likely not near the interstate, and wait one hour for the recharge. A full day now will become one and a half days.
Don't forget you will have Ford Pass to find charging stations long before you need them.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
In 800 miles, I am assuming you will be stopping for food and maybe an overnight stay? You can plan accordingly with the FordPass and/or PlugShare apps. Is it as convenient as just filling up at a gas station? No, but if I owned a restaurant near a busy highway, I would invest in putting in some chargers.
Yeah, because a restaurant is going to spend $60K on a few chargers…?

Understand Folks, the DC Chargers that charge up un under an hour, are ultra rare throughout the Country. Michigan only has 2... and some States don't have any...

Those are the ONLY chargers that charge rapidly, all other stations will take 4+ hours...
Sponsored