Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
And yet a Northern VA location, Hummm....
Yeah Northern VA SUCKS for owning vehicles. Personal property taxes are huge and there are ZERO EV charging credits.
Sponsored

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
Here in Georgia we pay 6% sales tax on the purchase price. Then pay about $230 annually for driving an EV, to make up lost revenue from gas purchase. Annual tag fee of $20. I’ve been paying this amount for the past 5 years for our Focus Electric, now the MME. Georgia rescinded the $2500 EV tax credit about 4 years ago. But we can drive in the HOV lanes with just occupant.

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
Yup,

People don't know how good they have it...we get crushed here in CO. Annual registration on this car without a significant trade is easily over 1k for the next 5 years.
Actually year 2 , depending on model will be less then 1k. It's 1.5%. Then 1.2%, .9%, then year 5 .45%.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Just got my first renewal registration fees, CA, for my MME. 😲. I only opened it now even though I got the envelope a few weeks ago thinking it will be like my older cars in the 100-200$ range. Holy smokes. The savings with low interest rate and CA rebates will just cancel out in a few years lol.

I'm hit with $722. This thread brought a little sanity back to me, whew.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Many of these posts miss the fact that a new car costs more than an older car, regardless of fuel. Most of the EV surcharges are $120 or so, if any.

Susanne76

First Name
Susanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Just bought my Select in CA and the total on the registration I received was $656

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Just got my first renewal registration fees, CA, for my MME. 😲. I only opened it now even though I got the envelope a few weeks ago thinking it will be like my older cars in the 100-200$ range. Holy smokes. The savings with low interest rate and CA rebates will just cancel out in a few years lol.

I'm hit with $722. This thread brought a little sanity back to me, whew.
Just another reason….
https://greekmoving.com/top-states-people-are-leaving-for-florida/

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

JDrazMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Star White MME Premium Ext Batt AWD
Country flag
In Ohio, the ICE car registration fee is about $55 for one year. There is a $200 surcharge for electric cars which I suppose makes up for the lost gas taxes. You couldn't pay me to live in CA!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
California charges up to $175/yr for plug-in vehicle registration, to help in part make up for the loss in gas tax which is (supposed to be) earmarked specifically for road maintenance.

It doesn't make up for the entirety of the shortfall in the state, which has some of the worst roads in the nation, as our gas tax (already the highest in the nation behind Hawaii I think) actually hasn't kept pace with inflation, not to mention funds have been used for other uses such as road construction, and lastly the general increase in MPG in ICE vehicles has reduced overall gas consumption.

The State is currently studying driving patterns to determine if there is a better model to apportion a tax for road upkeep based on vehicle miles driven within the State, size/weight of car, etc.

eire1976

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-e 2022 premium RWD standard range
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Got my first CA registration renewal in the mail. I was shocked to see it is $782. Like the OP, this is the most I've ever had to pay. Seems criminal. They want people to stop using ICE vehicles, but they're going to charge more to stop doing that. Such bullshit.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Got my first CA registration renewal in the mail. I was shocked to see it is $782. Like the OP, this is the most I've ever had to pay. Seems criminal. They want people to stop using ICE vehicles, but they're going to charge more to stop doing that. Such bullshit.
Your assessment of the situation is incorrect.

California doesn't charge differently for EVs than it does for ICE cars. It's solely based on car value. If this is the most you've paid it's because it's the most valued car you've owned.
Sponsored