Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I use the speed sign recognition daily to commute on 60miles of highway on i81. It usually works great, it is definitely camera based, I have zero doubt about that. Sometimes it does read incorrectly though especially if you have wipers going. I’ve had it read 85 instead of 35 lol. I always keep an eye on it to quickly adjust it back to the speed limit +5mph. In about 20k miles with it on I can say it runs pretty reliably but it’s an assist not self driving so treat as such and you’ll be fine and it’s a great tool that makes commuting easy.

Apparantly @ripperAZ thinks one must put on a blindfold and fall asleep while driving on a highway to use the tech in the car, because that’s the only option when using cruise control… 😴😱☠☠
Sponsored

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
@ripperAZ thinks one must put on a blindfold and fall asleep while driving on a highway to use the tech in the car, because that’s the only option when using cruise control… 😴😱☠☠
Excuse me - but I browse the MachE forums while driving to work on I-5 - like a man of culture. How else could I keep up on the latest GOM drama??!!

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
I use cruise control with my hand on the wheel. I know it’s adaptive I also know a chunk of mud could cause me to crash into something

I have eyes for speed sign recognition and I ignore most of them and exceed almost all of them

Enjoy your gimmicky tech

I enjoy driving my $70,000 sled

If you only knew what I really enjoyed

Thanks for the personal slam

🤑

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Turn off the speed recognition... o_O
Lol
Genius
I am getting slammed for questioning whether a camera reading numbers is a good idea controlling your car speed

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So the other day I was driving down the road and I passed the 99 cent store sign and oh holy hell it all broke out

I recommend they just spell out the word DOLLAR in the future.

Whoops. State Route 95 almost drove me into a river.

Turn it off does anyone have enough time to watch that crap

Jes sayin

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You okay tonight there @ripperAZ ….?
All good mate.
Just wondering how some find sign recognition usefull When we buy vehicles design to exceed them and our whole goal and joy in life is to do the same.

You have to understand I am out west not back east where maybe you need to worry about sign recognition out here if you used it you’d be rear ended daily

I spend a lot more time putting counter measures in to prevent people noticing how much faster I’m going than the numbers on the speed sign

Jes sayin.
I’m fine….

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Incoming Facts…..

1. Adaptive cruise control for highway driving is a real bonus. It eases highway driving. You can set your speed and it’ll adapt to the traffic

2. Turning speed sign recognition on during adaptive cruise control makes it into a useless annoying tool on many highways

It's half baked it's based on signs on the side of the road folks
Maybe in a few years like all the other safety gadgets that Have gotten better
Whatever.
Jes sayin

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
At a specific spot on US 24 the car accelerates to 70 mph where the speed limit is 55. I don’t travel that route often but it has happened twice. I was told by Ford Guide to take it to the dealer, which I will do.
I've experienced this multiple times. Goes from 50mph in a construction zone tries to accelerate to 80mph before my intervention.

Someone had suggested to turn off the speed limit recognition and that helped but the root problem still exists; unexpected & dangerous acceleration.

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
I've experienced this multiple times. Goes from 50mph in a construction zone tries to accelerate to 80mph before my intervention.

Someone had suggested to turn off the speed limit recognition and that helped but the root problem still exists; unexpected & dangerous acceleration.
I’ve never once had unexpected acceleration… do you mean specifically when using speed limit recognition??

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Interesting. We also have a spot on another highway where the signs are 35 and then 55 next but the MME says 35, 45, then 55. I think the MME is probably correct and someone either forgot to install the 45 or removed it. That’s also LOL. But 55 to 70, it seems like that’s a safety issue.
There is a spot near my house it happens but after a few times I figured out it was reading the wrong speed limit sign And another turns out to be an angle it miss reads the sign.

Is there a sign near the spot and could it just be angles or a bad read. Speed limit signs where train by machine learning and there could of been an oddity in the learning data that cause some signs to be read as 70 mph. Since all our cars are powered by the same machine learning and same test data there not much that can be done.

Just this oddity was not caught in testing as the failure rate was within acceptable range just has an oddity in it.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Turn off sign recognition.
It’s a annoying gimmick
Best to use your eyes when driving
I enjoy all the signs on the roads

OP
OP
Indy Mike

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If I understand the system correctly. The vehicle uses a camera to read the speed limit signs so if the dash says 70 mph then it read the sign wrong or saw something it interpreted as a speed limit sign.
There is no sign. Also in other areas it speeds to 45 from 35 and then to 55 from 45 and there is no sign at 45. I’ve looked for one several times.

OP
OP
Indy Mike

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is a spot near my house it happens but after a few times I figured out it was reading the wrong speed limit sign And another turns out to be an angle it miss reads the sign.

Is there a sign near the spot and could it just be angles or a bad read. Speed limit signs where train by machine learning and there could of been an oddity in the learning data that cause some signs to be read as 70 mph. Since all our cars are powered by the same machine learning and same test data there not much that can be done.

Just this oddity was not caught in testing as the failure rate was within acceptable range just has an oddity in it.
No sign. Yesterday it happened when I was going the other direction at the same spot and then when I returned two hours later, where it had happened twice before, it did not happen.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
No sign. Yesterday it happened when I was going the other direction at the same spot and then when I returned two hours later, where it had happened twice before, it did not happen.
odd my guess is there is some sign around there that your car is seeing and the machine learning that has happen as a false read on it. You have what is a great example of a weakness in machine learning data set where some how it thinks a sign in there when there is not one. I would not be surprised if all Mach E driving past that point have a high likelyhood of having a miss read happen. I expect that there will be future updates that updates our speed recitations as they do more training.

It is also why even when using the auto adjust to speed limit signs you need to always be willing to override. The good news is that it is not super hard acceleration and very easy to adjust it back down or up if you need to use it.
Sponsored