Vehicles with higher VIN# in showroom while mine is stuck in purgatory?

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I have a Mach E ordered on May 3rd and "built" July 11th but is slated to be delivered on the generic "10/31". I've been watching inventory to see if I can find a similar model and snatch it up earlier. Today, for the first time, I noticed a VIN# with the last digits substantially higher than mine. My VIN's last five digits are 46xxx while this is 49xxx. What gives? Why would they choose to put microchips in a vehicle built three thousand cars later? Am I missing something with how things work?

Frustrating...
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The VINs aren't sequential (well I'm sure they are assigned sequentially but then they aren't built sequentially).

Thus that doesn't mean a thing.

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a Mach E ordered on May 3rd and "built" July 11th but is slated to be delivered on the generic "10/31". I've been watching inventory to see if I can find a similar model and snatch it up earlier. Today, for the first time, I noticed a VIN# with the last digits substantially higher than mine. My VIN's last five digits are 46xxx while this is 49xxx. What gives? Why would they choose to put microchips in a vehicle built three thousand cars later? Am I missing something with how things work?

Frustrating...
The sequence number is not necessarily indicative of the order in which vehicles were built. Another way, a lower VIN was not necessarily built first nor was a higher VIN necessarily built later.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Run the VIN through one of the trackers on this website and see if the car was actually built later.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good idea. There are 41 "similar" cars available within 100 miles of my zip. Three have a VIN# higher than mine. (Which probably backs up the idea that VIN#s are roughly revealing of the build order although maybe not perfect,.) The first one I checked didn't have a production date listed in the tracker. The second and third were produce 8/16 which is more than a month after mine. It's a Select and a California Route 1 rather than a Premium.

It's like ashes in my mouth...

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Good idea. There are 41 "similar" cars available within 100 miles of my zip. Three have a VIN# higher than mine. (Which probably backs up the idea that VIN#s are roughly revealing of the build order although maybe not perfect,.) The first one I checked didn't have a production date listed in the tracker. The second and third were produce 8/16 which is more than a month after mine. It's a Select and a California Route 1 rather than a Premium.

Welcome to the maddening world of being a Ford customer. There will be minimal communication, many of the people you deal with at the dealership will know less than you and they use Alice in Wonderland logic at times. Tighten your seatbelt.

Mockstang

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER, 1967 V8 4bbl
Occupation
Pro
Mine was reserved Nov ‘19 then ordered July 2020. When I changed to Extended Range my order got pushed back to Oct 2020. It was built in May 2021 and I see newer ones (same model) being deliver to local dealers while my delivery date keeps getting pushed out.

No one can give me an explanation. I’m patient but the logical and curious side of my brain just wants to know why.

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's possible, but it wouldn't answer why a car built 8/16 receives a microchip array while a car built 7/11 sits in a lot waiting for one. If a dealer order has some sort of priority, then Ford should let us know that we aren't really in an orderly line and that people can "cut in" regularly.

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: I failed to notice that there is a tiny banner on these three cars which says "dealer ordered". This makes me now think these cars are also stuck somewhere and are not on the lot ready to be sold. I made the (seemingly natural) assumption that when you search inventory you are actually searching inventory...

Well, I can go back to my baseline level of frustration waiting... :)

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
Good for you.......I ordered May2nd and have yet to hear a thing

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You have a VIN? I placed on order in April and I still have no production dates. The one I have now I got from a failed deal at a different dealer.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: I failed to notice that there is a tiny banner on these three cars which says "dealer ordered". This makes me now think these cars are also stuck somewhere and are not on the lot ready to be sold. I made the (seemingly natural) assumption that when you search inventory you are actually searching inventory...

Well, I can go back to my baseline level of frustration waiting... :)
Yeah "Dealer Ordered" means just that, it doesn't even mean it has been built yet.

My local dealer has like 150 dealer ordered F-150s and I'd be surprised if even 1/5 of them have been built.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
LOL, I feel your pain. I just posted a possible explanation a minute ago, in the thread below.
Read Post #22, and be happy that your vehicle is at least in the system. :)

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-wants-more-buyers-to-order-online.8695/page-2

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

Which trim line and battery?
Sponsored