Kieferalan

First Name
Kiefer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e first edition
Country flag
Sorry if this has been asked, I tried to search for it but I’m on mobile. Does anyone know if this car supports vertical CarPlay like in the new subarus? Or if they’re planning on doing so? There’s so much more room for a vertical orientation
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vertical Apple CarPlay? image
Sponsored

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Sorry if this has been asked, I tried to search for it but I’m on mobile. Does anyone know if this car supports vertical CarPlay like in the new subarus? Or if they’re planning on doing so? There’s so much more room for a vertical orientation
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vertical Apple CarPlay? image
No plans

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I know it doesn’t currently, but has Ford said they have no plans to change that?
As far as I know they haven't said anything about that. And I would be shocked if they did plan to do that. There is a very long list of bug fixes and more substantial features they're working on so I wouldn't count on it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
As far as I know they haven't said anything about that. And I would be shocked if they did plan to do that. There is a very long list of bug fixes and more substantial features they're working on so I wouldn't count on it.
I completely agree that it's unlikely, and we certainly shouldn't count on it. But that doesn't mean we should assume that there's no plan since Ford hasn't said one way or the other. CarPlay does support dynamic resolution changes, so it's not impossible that Ford takes advantage of that at some point.

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
This could be worked on at the same time as other more pressing issues on the Mach-E... There is a different team responsible for Synch (infotainment system) than the one responsible for the Mach-E (vehicle).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
To be accurate, CarPlay doesn't support portrait viewports, only landscape (at various ratios). There's nothing for Ford to do when the support isn't there on the iOS.

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/carplay/visual-design/layout/
That's interesting. I wonder how Subaru is able to do it.

1620603929406.png
Either Apple's docs are out of date, Apple and Subaru worked up something custom with each other and maybe their supported 3rd party apps, or my favorite theory:

Apple allows CarPlay to present landscapes, e.g. via Maps, but not portraits, like photos from that recent bachelor party. ? ?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
If you look at the new GT YouTube reviews out today, specifically the Alex on Autos one, you can see that the new software supports portrait mode for carplay using the maximize button.

I wonder if this is also enabled for all mach e with the latest OTA.

Dear1nc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Country flag
Either Apple's docs are out of date, Apple and Subaru worked up something custom with each other and maybe their supported 3rd party apps, or my favorite theory:

Apple allows CarPlay to present landscapes, e.g. via Maps, but not portraits, like photos from that recent bachelor party. ? ?
My screen looks exactly like that when I hit the maximize button on my GT.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It will come from the factory on new GTs and enabled in 1.7.1 for the rest of us.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It will come from the factory on new GTs and enabled in 1.7.1 for the rest of us.
It is not part of 1.7.1 The GT's have software about a week newer than 1.7.1 and that version seems to include it. But people that have gotten the OTA 1.7.1 reported it did not add this feature.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
It is not part of 1.7.1 The GT's have software about a week newer than 1.7.1 and that version seems to include it. But people that have gotten the OTA 1.7.1 reported it did not add this feature.
interesting -- I guess the next OTA will probably have it for the non-GTs. Here's a screenshot from the Alex on Autos video that clearly shows it filling the whole area when the widgets below it are minimized and the CarPlay screen is maximized.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Vertical Apple CarPlay? Screenshot 2021-10-11 7.53.30 AM

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
interesting -- I guess the next OTA will probably have it for the non-GTs. Here's a screenshot from the Alex on Autos video that clearly shows it filling the whole area when the widgets below it are minimized and the CarPlay screen is maximized.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Vertical Apple CarPlay? Screenshot 2021-10-11 7.53.30 AM
We discussed it on the 1.7.1 thread, but the user that reported it had a GT. And others that got the 1.7.1 update verified it didn't add that feature. Its a good sign that its coming though.