Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The GT and FE have slightly better choices, but Premium and Select choices are terrible.

I only order cars in colors. IMO, there is only 1 color available and it is Rapid Red. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince my wife to get red, so I begrudgingly compromised and got Infinite Blue, which IMO is barely a color. I can't believe there are 5 greyscales available and 1.5 colors. Where is the regular blue? Where is green? Compare it to the regular Mustang, which has 4 greyscales and 6 colors!

Look, I know that most people now order grey SUVs. I'm not blind. But I think the Mach-E is a special car, and it should be available in special colors. Look at the ordering thread in this forum. Half the orders are in a color (if you count infinite blue as a color). So ~28% of the colors account for ~50% of the orders. Does Ford even know what its own customers want? If this is really a "Mustang" it should be available in Mustang colors, not generic SUV colors.

IMO, we should have choices along the lines of: Red, Copper, Light Blue, Navy Blue, Dark Green, Grey, White and Black.

I also hate the practice of holding back desirable colors for future model years. I know it is a marketing tactic, but I can still hate it.

Ok, rant over. I feel better now.
Back before the cars went into production we used to complain about the ridiculous color palette, but since production started that topic went away. It doesn't matter though; I even asked/complained during one of their webcasts last year and since the GT has grabber blue and yellow/orange Darren Palmer et al completely missed the point. Hopefully they see more people continuing to complain and add a second non grayscale color.

Mustangs need vibrant colors, which is why I am getting the rapid red (which I do actually like).
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Any support for this? I haven’t ordered yet and was waiting a bit for exactly this reason: If I really can’t get a car until late summer or fall anyway, I’d love to time my entry to be near the front of the line for 2022. I wouldn’t mind waiting a bit longer for the newer model.
No, it is pure speculation on my part. The reason I think it may happen is it is often the case that car makers, including Ford, change up colors between model years, even in brand new vehicles.

For example, the current generation Mustang launched for model year 2015. In model year 2016, they added Avalanche Gray for the GT350, and changed the available Black to Shadow Black for the other models.

Another example, the 2018 Ford Expedition was all new for its model year. For 2019, Ford added two colors, Silver Spruce and Black Agate.

Doesn't always happen for every new model, but there often are some new color choices. I don't know if Ford collects feedback on its color choices, but lots of people have vented that the Mach-E's palette is too gray - to the extent customer demand drives this sort of thing (as opposed to limitations at the factory), I could see them wanting to add a bright color or two as an option.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I agree that the Star White pops more than the other colors available at the Premium trim, even if it is just white. Going Stormtrooper.
This isn't really true. It's a vicous circle thing. Most cars are spec's by people who put a lot of generic cars on lots, and they for grey, white and maybe black. So lots of these colors are sold. Then someone looks at sales numbers, and says "Hey, it's mostly white, black and grey that sells!" You can see where this logic goes.

Every time I've ordered a vehicle is a noticable color, I get lots of comments. A woman came up to me to say my blue minivan was gorgeous! A freakin' minivan!

I ordered a red premium extended range awd.... I wanted grabber blue, or a darker blue, or maybe forrest green. But none of those were available.

Oh well....

Reactions: ARK

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
White, black, dark gray, light gray, really light gray, blue gray, or dark red.

It's certainly not a "Mustang" in the paint department unless you get the GT (unlike the gas Mustang where the colors don't care what engine/trim you get)

The red is gorgeous though, just still a bit dark for my taste.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
I wonder if Ford has calculated that they make more money by reserving the WOW colors for the much more expensive models? I'm not so sure about that. I feel like I'm already willing to pay $600 extra for tri-coat white - I'd probably be willing to pay $1-2k extra for Grabber Blue. Seems like Ford would make more money selling the eye-grabbing colors in this way at the Premium level that it does from encouraging a likely smaller number of people to pay $10k extra for a FE of GT.

Are there really so many people who want to pony up (see what I did there?) that much extra money for a GT just based on color that this would outweigh the number of people who would happily buy the nicer colors at a lower price point?

Maybe Ford doesn't care about the money and wants to preserve some exclusivity. As a shareholder I hope that's not the case.

For the time being, I'm settled on Star White with the black interior. That'll make for a screamin' shiny contrast even if it is "just white." I agree on the Infinite Blue and the grays - I don't need a car that matches my tie. The red and black look striking in the showroom pics - especially paired with a white interior - but I seldom see a red or black car on the road that looks good under less than perfect conditions. My wife similarly said "no red car" even when I showed her the pics. As for "space white" I really don't get that crowd LOL. Who wants a flat grayish white?! (Alright, don't hate me, space white guys).
I am just trying to get a light grey interior and am limited to the Premium edition. Would get something else if available on the other models.. I live in South Florida, no garage and a black interior is horrible down here..IMO

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
go see this guy. get any color you want. and 10 dollars worth of free metal work. can't beat it.

The $10 in free metal work was braces for your kid, in the alley behind his paint shop. I'll pass on that! ?
Sponsored