Very slippery when wet. Looking for advice

noname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache
Country flag
Hi! I have Select RWD. The car is very slipper when road is wet. You do not need to push it or anything, just turning and taking a ramp on a highway makes the car loose traction and start sliding. My wife does not want to drive it in rain anymore, it feels very dangerous. The tire pressure shows 37 at the moment.
Unfortunately I could not find Micheline Sport A/S tires that fit stock wheels and considering selling it or swapping for AWD and wider tires (I guess GT or different brand).
I am wondering if someone have a recommendation for a wet road tires that fit stock wheels. Should I consider installing wider wheels and ditching stock rims? The car feels very dangerous driving in the rain.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Lots of low end torque+eco tires = crap in wet.

Replace the tires with better ones. I did pilot sport 4 a/s 245/50/19 on aftermarket 8" wide wheels and they're fantastic with very minimal (so minimal I don't notice) loss in range.

The traction control/esc is very good though and keeps you in control with unintentional traction loss. Unless you're just going way too fast for conditions.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Hi! I have Select RWD. The car is very slipper when road is wet. You do not need to push it or anything, just turning and taking a ramp on a highway makes the car loose traction and start sliding. My wife does not want to drive it in rain anymore, it feels very dangerous. The tire pressure shows 37 at the moment.
Unfortunately I could not find Micheline Sport A/S tires that fit stock wheels and considering selling it or swapping for AWD and wider tires (I guess GT or different brand).
I am wondering if someone have a recommendation for a wet road tires that fit stock wheels. Should I consider installing wider wheels and ditching stock rims? The car feels very dangerous driving in the rain.
Even my Bolt had that problem on wet roads (although it was front wheel drive). I think others are right that better grip tires would help. I have to say that my Premium ER AWD is amazing on wet and snowy roads even with the stock tires.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Wider
Should I consider installing wider wheels and ditching stock rims? The car feels very dangerous driving in the rain.
Dry pavement yes, in an aquaplaning situation no. Wider wheels/tires will have a lower coefficient of friction. More surface area. Maybe you want 215s.

Last edited:

OP
OP

noname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache
Country flag
Lots of low end torque+eco tires = crap in wet.

Replace the tires with better ones. I did pilot sport 4 a/s 245/50/19 on aftermarket 8" wide wheels and they're fantastic with very minimal (so minimal I don't notice) loss in range.

The traction control/esc is very good though and keeps you in control with unintentional traction loss. Unless you're just going way too fast for conditions.
Could you share what wheels did you end up with? Thx!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Wider tires would also push more water and have a greater tendency to hydroplane.

Wider isn't always better.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Exactly why we got the AWD.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Wider

Dry pavement yes, in an aquaplaning situation no. Wider wheels/tires will have a lower coefficient of friction. More surface area. Maybe you want 215s.
^^ Don’t go wider.

Get some good summer tires that have better wet traction.

I put Pilot Sport 4S on my SS and they are by far the best tires I’ve ever owned. Amazing traction dry and wet (even for a high hp rwd car).

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Better tire compound can definitely help but sounds like a change in driving behavior is needed. Rule of thumb is don’t brake or accelerate through turns when traction is limited.

Gwai Lo

First Name
Gwai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LS460
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In response to the original poster,
does your car have the stock Michelin Primacy A/S tires size 225/60R18 104H?

See for example the TireRack page for this tire: here.

So far there are no reviews on this tire. It is listed as an "Eco tire", so more focused on range than roadholding, as others have mentioned.

A list of alternative tires for your current wheel size and vehicle is shown here. Most of them have user reviews. The choice is a bit limited. Perhaps that may help you.

I live in Portland Oregon, ~150 miles south of Seattle. We just had our first real rain after 95 days of drought. Most of the roads here are extremely slick now because of all the vehicles on the road that drip oil and other fluids on a constant basis. There have been accidents everywhere across town this weekend. I expect Seattle may be in a similar situation. Do you think this may have been a contributing factor to your experience?

OP
OP

noname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache
Country flag

So far there are no reviews on this tire. It is listed as an "Eco tire", so more focused on range than roadholding, as others have mentioned.

A list of alternative tires for your current wheel size and vehicle is shown here. Most of them have user reviews. The choice is a bit limited. Perhaps that may help you.

I live in Portland Oregon, ~150 miles south of Seattle. We just had our first real rain after 95 days of drought. Most of the roads here are extremely slick now because of all the vehicles on the road that drip oil and other fluids on a constant basis. There have been accidents everywhere across town this weekend. I expect Seattle may be in a similar situation. Do you think this may have been a contributing factor to your experience?
Yes, Primacy A/S. The car was slippery since the delivery in May.
Regular rain, no standing water, makes the car dangerous to drive. My wife considers my ICE car now for rain season. It slides and wiggles when you make turns, it feels too heavy for the stock tires, they just do not get any grip.
I have Micheline Pilot Sport 3 A/S on my other car, and was hoping to find something similar. I do not care about milage, this is our commuter car.
I got Select RWD to qualify for state incentives, but now thinking trading it in to buy AWD GT or different brand (do not want mache premium since it not much different from Select)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

You have cars near you (and enough of them) that leak oil and fluids so much that they make the roads slippery?

Are you serious or was this just an attempt at an ICE joke?

Modern cars don’t leak oil.

Even classic cars wouldn’t leak enough to make a road noticeably slicker. And there definitely aren’t enough around to make a difference.

Agreed on the OP getting a better tire though.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
What type of car did she drive before? I literally have always driven RWD cars and trucks with a live rear axle and this is my first with irs and traction control, I find it more forgiving than any Mustang or truck I have ever owned. May just be perspective but switching from front wheel drive with the pull to RWD with the push is a big jump if one is not accustomed to it.
Sponsored