Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER space white Mini Countryman S
Occupation
head of finance department
Country flag
I would like to have the EPA standard in Europe because it is simply more realistic and better represents the range. After all, WLTP is better than the predecessor NEFZ. That was a real bummer, typically European; wide open for fraud.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Still a VERY BOLD Claim. No matter the governing body.
It is, as are all WLTP range numbers. They're basically hypermiling figures in perfect conditions. And even then they're sometimes stretching it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would like to have the EPA standard in Europe because it is simply more realistic and better represents the range. After all, WLTP is better than the predecessor NEFZ. That was a real bummer, typically European; wide open for fraud.
And EPA is usually a big exaggeration too, just not as much.

They really ALL need to be thrown out for BEVs and be replaced with realistic high-speed highway range criteria (which is where range usually really matters).

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The numbers for 2020 will be better because most employees stayed home, and few families went shopping or dining, all due to the Corona virus lockdown.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's close to the average speed of my daily commute. It more of an urban cycle.
Yep. It's just that for most people, range is a virtual non-issue for urban distances. (Although there are some exceptions, like say, real estate agents.)

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Norway's equivalent of AAA, called the NAF, is doing a winter range test of EVs. Included in the field is both a AWD ER and SR RWD. It'll be interesting to see how the MME compares to the competition.
Bjorn posted that that it was canceled. He was supposed to drive a Leaf during it but had promised to check out the MME. I’m bummed.

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
So I've seen a bunch of people ask what's up with EPA and WLTP (and I was asking myself too), why such a big difference. Found a good reason why the mileage is different.

Basically in the US, it's considered more often that people will drive their cars on highways with an average of 70 MPH. While in Europe, people are mostly condensed in small streets where they stop and go and their car won't be cruising for many miles at 70 MPH. So on average, the car's battery is not used as much and therefore provides greater range - so EPA will say 300 miles based on a constant 70 MPH dirving and WLTP will say 370 miles based on stop and go with a maximum speed of say 40 - 50 MPH.

Most of the people who made videos up till now have always gone on highways (such as The Smoking Tire and TFL) and they reach the EPA numbers. It would be interesting to have them drive in a downtown environment for 6 hours and see how many miles they reach by never bringing the vehicle above say, 50mph.
Sponsored