TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most of the people who made videos up till now have always gone on highways (such as The Smoking Tire and TFL) and they reach the EPA numbers. It would be interesting to have them drive in a downtown environment for 6 hours and see how many miles they reach by never bringing the vehicle above say, 50mph.
Yes, slower speeds (city) get better mileage (thus range) than higher speeds (highway). But the reason we care more about highway range than city is because most people won't be driving hundreds of miles a day in the city. Range is mostly irrelevant in the city if you just return home each night and plug in easily and have a full battery by morning.

Where range really matters is on long road trips, where you have to make stops to slowly recharge along the way.
Sponsored

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
Yes, slower speeds (city) get better mileage (thus range) than higher speeds (highway). But the reason we care more about highway range than city is because most people won't be driving hundreds of miles a day in the city. Range is mostly irrelevant in the city if you just return home each night and plug in easily and have a full battery by morning.

Where range really matters is on long road trips, where you have to make stops to slowly recharge along the way.
I don't disagree :) But it's also a question of perspective. You might care about the long road trips range, but if I were a city person, I might care more how many miles I can use the car before I need to go and charge it. It's all subjective, so both EPA and WLTP are right, it just depends on how you plan to use your car.

You plan on staying to small roads and using it in your city commute? Expect 370 miles of range. You plan on going on the highway alot? Then expect 300 miles of range.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't disagree :) But it's also a question of perspective. You might care about the long road trips range, but if I were a city person, I might care more how many miles I can use the car before I need to go and charge it. It's all subjective, so both EPA and WLTP are right, it just depends on how you plan to use your car.

You plan on staying to small roads and using it in your city commute? Expect 370 miles of range. You plan on going on the highway alot? Then expect 300 miles of range.
Sure, there's always exceptions to the norm. I'm just referring to the vast majority norm cases.

But yes, *some* people will need to drive hundreds of miles a day inside the city. For instance, a real estate agent might.

Also, those people that buy a BEV that don't have easy home or work L2 charging (probably not a good fit but some will do it anyway) will be more concerned what their city range is between annoying DCFC charges.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

I agree that it might be an interesting thing to know. Whether others are interested or not shouldn't change how you feel about it, nor does it mean that you're "wrong" for wanting to know. After all there are thousands of posts belaboring the door handle/winglet, color choices, and front license plate bracket.

My limited imagination can think of two situations without trying where it might be very important to someone: an apartment dweller who has to publicly charge, or a 2 BEV family that is sharing a charger due to breaker panel/electrical service limitations. I'm certain there are plenty more.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I agree that it might be an interesting thing to know. Whether others are interested or not shouldn't change how you feel about it, nor does it mean that you're "wrong" for wanting to know. After all there are thousands of posts belaboring the door handle/winglet, color choices, and front license plate bracket.

My limited imagination can think of two situations without trying where it might be very important to someone: an apartment dweller who has to publicly charge, or a 2 BEV family that is sharing a charger due to breaker panel/electrical service limitations. I'm certain there are plenty more.
Apartment dwellers always have to go out to get energy, be it gasoline or electricity, but the second is easier to get than the first because there are thousands of outlets in a city versus dozens of gasoline stations. Or else, get a plug-in hybrid such as the Chevy Volt (used Volts will be much cheaper now) and use whatever is easier or available due to opportunity.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Apartment dwellers always have to go out to get energy, be it gasoline or electricity, but the second is easier to get than the first because there are thousands of outlets in a city versus dozens of gasoline stations.
Actually it's just the reverse. For apartment dwellers (i.e. anyone without easy overnight L2 at home), gas is much easier than electricity because it's just a quick 3-4 minute refuel stop, and gas stations are almost never far out of the way.

Fast DCFC chargers (which is still slow at like half an hour) is WAY harder to find than gas. So are slow 240V public chargers. It's only 120V that's all over, but at 3 miles/hour, it's just short of a joke. And it's still often not easily accessible in a parking lot.
Sponsored