Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
Here's my subjective grading:

1) The camera button, which acts quickly and is always visible: +2 points.
2) The multi-use knob: +1 point.
3) Removing the large-format card area: -5 points.

Total: -2 points.

I'm disappointed. The large-format card area was (and I hope will be again) a distinguishing feature for Ford. Some internal and external app developers had made good use of those cards. Even CarPlay would display useful things in the enlarged card. And I think it is a safety feature to always see the four tire pressures. And before this update one could always choose to shrink the card area if desired.

(If this update had enabled remote unlocking of my 2021 job-1 frunk, that would have changed the overall grade to a positive number. ;))
Sponsored

Almondtree

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
It rained a lot this weekend. So I made a video.

What model you you have? I have a 2021 and my last update was 3.6.2 on 1/22/23 which my service manager at Ford said was correct for my vehicle. He said he can only look up updates for my specific vehicle. Would appreciate your feedback.

bcb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT PE Prius Plug-In
Occupation
Retired (former software engineer/cloud analytics)
Country flag
Outstanding video Andy! Thanks for putting that together. Liked and commented on your YouTube version.

Almondtree

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Why do i not have this update or any idea when this update is coming. Seems odd that some people have it and some don't. I have a 2022 MACH-E premium which i got in August 22.
I have a 2021 which I took delivery in February 2022. I called ford and asked why I don’t have the update. They said they are pushing it per VIN numbers. Sounds weird.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I have a 2021 which I took delivery in February 2022. I called ford and asked why I don’t have the update. They said they are pushing it per VIN numbers. Sounds weird.
Yes it is weird, but Ford's OTA update system isn't exactly like updating your iPhone (yet?)

They push OTAs by VIN number or batch, and you have to get one sequence of updates before you become eligible for the next "PowerUp" number. Ford's OTAs -- as well as FDRS -- seem to reqiure modules (think of each one of these as an independent phone or computer) to each be on the version of software it expects before it gives you the next update.

This might be conservative and less risky to Ford, as it makes sure that all of the modules go thru incremental updates and are all as expected, this reduces their QA needs. But it sucks to owners, because it doesn't provide you with the experience of knowing that your car is on the latest software. We all expect this to be like a phone, where, if you turn it on after being off for 3 months, you'll get an update that brings the whole phone up to being current. Not so here.

There is no way via the OTA system for Ford to push "the latest" software to your whole car at once, so you'll just have to be patient (and lucky) to receive the latest software on your car...

Almondtree

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Yes it is weird, but Ford's OTA update system isn't exactly like updating your iPhone (yet?)

They push OTAs by VIN number or batch, and you have to get one sequence of updates before you become eligible for the next "PowerUp" number. Ford's OTAs -- as well as FDRS -- seem to reqiure modules (think of each one of these as an independent phone or computer) to each be on the version of software it expects before it gives you the next update.

This might be conservative and less risky to Ford, as it makes sure that all of the modules go thru incremental updates and are all as expected, this reduces their QA needs. But it sucks to owners, because it doesn't provide you with the experience of knowing that your car is on the latest software. We all expect this to be like a phone, where, if you turn it on after being off for 3 months, you'll get an update that brings the whole phone up to being current. Not so here.

There is no way via the OTA system for Ford to push "the latest" software to your whole car at once, so you'll just have to be patient (and lucky) to receive the latest software on your car...
Thanks so much. Your video was fabulous and I look forward to the update and watching it again to guide me through it.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thanks so much. Your video was fabulous and I look forward to the update and watching it again to guide me through it.
You might want to see if you can find a friendly dealer (or local forum member with FDRS....) who can update the software on your car.

Bmt-mache

First Name
BMT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
This is weird but last week I got updated with a couple of versions I think and now have the new user interface.

So, here is what happened. I changed the update schedule to daily at 3:00 AM. Earlier it was only Saturday at 3:00 AM. Configured my car to connect to home wifi. That's it.

Now the weird part is I didn't get the message that the new software is updated and what the features of the software are. I notifications I got were on Jan 21 which updated to 3.6.something, then on Jan 23rd which was 4.1.something. I checked on the 23rd and 24th but the new UI was not there and suddenly on the 26th the screen fonts looked weird and then I saw the new interface but no indication of any new software updates. So, not complaining and I like the new interface.

Does anyone know how to check which version of the software is the interface running? I looked both in the Fordpass and the car interface and cannot find it.

eBullitt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda CR-V Hybrid; 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Now the weird part is I didn't get the message that the new software is updated and what the features of the software are. I notifications I got were on Jan 21 which updated to 3.6.something, then on Jan 23rd which was 4.1.something. I checked on the 23rd and 24th but the new UI was not there and suddenly on the 26th the screen fonts looked weird and then I saw the new interface but no indication of any new software updates. So, not complaining and I like the new interface.

Does anyone know how to check which version of the software is the interface running? I looked both in the Fordpass and the car interface and cannot find it.
I had the exact same experience with my updates as you @Bmt-mache, must be a NC thing! I also have the same question about finding the latest software version that running on my Mach-e as my notifications tell me I'm still on 4.1.1.

On the new UI itself, I went though the updates on my own and then went to Ford.com to see if I could find either a video or document on the changes to better understand what I might have missed. I couldn't find anything quickly so naturally I visited the forum and found Andy's video. Great job Andy! Really appreciate your efforts. I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. Bottomline for me is that the update is a change in the right direction.

Klokkeriis

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e Premium AWD
Country flag
Hi, thanks for a great video, I have just been a new Mach-e owner for a couple of days ago, do any known if the update by OTA only is awaible in the US, or is it in Europe too ?

I have spoooken with my local dealer, and they do not known about the update.

I live in Denmark :cool:

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Hi, thanks for a great video, I have just been a new Mach-e owner for a couple of days ago, do any known if the update by OTA only is awaible in the US, or is it in Europe too ?

I have spoooken with my local dealer, and they do not known about the update.

I live in Denmark :cool:
Unfortunately, Ford has not yet made this available outside of the US yet, either via OTA or via flashing at your dealer.

I'm sure they will soon, though! Perhaps it still needs localisation...

Klokkeriis

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e Premium AWD
Country flag
Thanks Scoopman, I will wait, and hope it´s comming soon.

Almondtree

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Just got my update on February 10. It looks exactly like the video, however, the video said it's 4.1.2 and my software update says it's 4.1.1. What's up with that?

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just got my update on February 10. It looks exactly like the video, however, the video said it's 4.1.2 and my software update says it's 4.1.1. What's up with that?
I believe you should be on 4.1.2 if you have what's in the video. 4.1.1 was some prep for 4.1.2. You'll get 4.1.3 soon thereafter, which also is a software update that brihgs no user-facing changes.

Almondtree

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Just sat in car and have everything you discussed in the video is there but FordPass still says 4.1.1. When I look at "What's Up in this Update," all it says is that I can enter car using key fob during non-drivable update and that I will now receive new pop-up alerts when a precondition is not being met - whatever that means. Doesn't say anything about new screen design, etc that you discussed. However, I tested everything you mentioned and it's there but only 4.1.1 Odd?
BTW, I love the way I can now open the trunk. It's so much easier than trying to find it.
Sponsored