Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
The Mustang has long been defined by its aggressive exhaust note. But for the Mach-E, Ford's facing the same problem that a lot of automakers have grappled with. Electric motors, on their own, don't sound very good. In most applications, you can't hear them at all.

That won't do for a Mustang. While the company is still trying to clarify what exactly a car needs to be a Mustang, an exciting soundtrack helps. But, as Dave Pericak, Ford's global director of icons who headed up the Mach-E's development, told us, a Mustang has to be authentic. Dubbing a V-8 exhaust note over the whirring of electric motors wasn't going to work.

Instead, Ford worked with a team of sound engineers to create a score that suggested power and performance while still conveying the electric, futuristic image that the company is going for. As you can see toward the end of this ride-along video posted by Electrek (below), the Mach-E in "unbridled" mode mixes a "starship accelerating" whir with a subtle but grumbly background thrum.

It's unique. It's not imitating an internal combustion car but it certainly takes cues from the burbling of a V-8. That's not unique among Mustangs—the EcoBoost mustang also uses speaker-generated tones to try to better match its V-8 big brothers. Regardless of powertrain, though, fake noise strikes us as inherently inauthentic.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29838406/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-fake-engine-noise/
Sponsored

shelbystripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E (pre-ordered)
Country flag
Is this also what it will sound like on the outside?

New NHTSA regulations require that by September 2020, all new EVs make audible noise at speeds up to 18mph for pedestrian safety reasons.

The launch day prototype might be quiet, but the production models will sound like something, at low speeds at least.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'll take the Tie Fighter sound, please.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
laughing so hard.... (hopefully you can edit your car's sound...)
Or like a long, drawn out, rubber chicken sound. You know there's gotta be bored software engineers working on that lol.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I much prefer this one.

Hearing it, it reminds me of an F1 car almost lol.
I suppose if you were at Pikes Peak race you might here something like that from an EV as it went by.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I suppose if you were at Pikes Peak race you might here something like that from an EV as it went by.
I imagine it would be best to use when you're introducing someone new to EVs. Tell them that they all sound like that because the NHTSA required noises for EVs, lol.

Tony Alonso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
The driver calls it an "SUV" in the video.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The driver calls it an "SUV" in the video.
That's what Ford is marketing it as, even though it's around the Escape size. So for non-marketing purposes, it's more like a CUV or a fastback hatchback.

EyeOnMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X. Prev: Restored a 67 Mustang convertible
Country flag