Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So I'm confused... what exactly is "E-Heat", and what is "before the car can make it's own heat"? I thought without a heat pump, BEVs always had to use electric heating?

Or does it mean only when plugged into a charger, and using charger power instead of battery power?
To me it is implied that the E-HEAT is the heating coil, and that the car will ALSO draw heat off of the battery/motor to warm the cabin. So, without the coil the cabin can be warmed off of battery/motor heat similar to an ICE - although I would expect it not to get that warm on a really cold day without the heating coil.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Love that there's a Max Defrost button permanently on the bottom row of the screen

Not as thrilled that the center console area has a shiny black plastic surface though. Shiny looks cheap to me. Prefer textured.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To me it is implied that the E-HEAT is the heating coil, and that the car will ALSO draw heat off of the battery/motor to warm the cabin. So, without the coil the cabin can be warmed off of battery/motor heat similar to an ICE - although I would expect it not to get that warm on a really cold day without the heating coil.
Interesting. So it may work pretty much like an ICE car that exchanges heat out of the engine coolant, except in this case it exchanges heat out of the battery/motor coolant? Didn't realize the battery and motor would generate that much heat. Or maybe it doesn't generate AS much as an engine, but enough to pull modest heat out of, and then you just use the electric heat when it's not enough, or quick enough?

If that's the way it works, then I'm thinking it's something to turn OFF on road trips, but just leave on the rest of the time (i.e. around home where range is usually a non-issue).

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I've come to that same conclusion.
Yes and if the car is already at temperature, it will be easy to keep warm. I recall Darren specifically stating that the MachE takes a lot of energy to warmup and it’s best to do that while plugged in.
This has more context now. With the battery and cabin preheated, your range will not as greatly impacted by the cold.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Great Pics! You’re right about the knob. It did feel cheap.
I made the same observation in my review of the car. Am hoping it is better in production cars. Missed opportunity since it will be used so much. Same with not having physical button to open trunk.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Love that there's a Max Defrost button permanently on the bottom row of the screen
There‘s also a physical button for Max Defrost to the left of the steering wheel by the headlight knob. I’m kinda hoping we can change the button for that on the display since it’s redundant and could be better used for something like opening the tailgate.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There‘s also a physical button for Max Defrost to the left of the steering wheel by the headlight knob. I’m kinda hoping we can change the button for that on the display since it’s redundant and could be better used for something like opening the tailgate.
Good point. Forgot there was a button on the left too. Yes, a tailgate button would be nice without going through the menus. We use the one on our Escapes occasionally.

Another one is parallel park assist. By the time we're in position to use it, it's usually too late and we've already crept up to the open space. So even with an actual button I still rarely use it.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's the worst range calculation yet at 212 miles for the "270" version (138 / 65%).

The usual caveats about not knowing how it was driven, etc apply. But still.
Like you can see on this picture "Full accessory power active", so most likely heat and defroster or other accessories where on because of the cold and rain, so visitors could be comfortable, so the rang you see in these cars while being park is to take with caution.

IMG_2109.jpeg

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
There weren't many folks checking out the Mach-E's during my time slot but I suspect they had a lot of no-shows due to the rain.

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed with Ford's BEV take on the Mustang! The Mach-E's look better in person than in photos & videos. Rapid Red really stands out to me over the Carbonized Gray. The interior did feel much more luxurious than I had expected. The seats were very soft & comfortable and there was lots of headroom in the backseat due to the raised roof. The steering wheel felt supple. The glass roof looks great and helps give the appearance of spaciousness. My only niggle about the interior quality relates to the volume knob on the screen: it feels like cheap plastic because it moves freely with loud clicks. It would have feel much more luxurious if the knob was metal and had more resistance combined with a firm/smooth (non-clicky) rotation.

The doors are very easy to open and it does feel natural to tug at the inside of the door after it pops open. It didn't feel awkward at all. The trunk area doesn't feel very large due to the slope of the roof. The frunk isn't very large either: best for a couple of small bags.

I tried real hard to get the marketing guys to take me out for a spin in one, but they wouldn't budge. ?

I'm VERY excited to get my Rapid Red Premium AWD at some point in 2021!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Videos & photos of Mach-E from Needham, MA event on 10-28-20 IMG_2109

Ford Mustang Mach-E Videos & photos of Mach-E from Needham, MA event on 10-28-20 IMG_2109

Great pics and videos - thanks much

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I made the same observation in my review of the car. Am hoping it is better in production cars. Missed opportunity since it will be used so much. Same with not having physical button to open trunk.
And we can use the Vol on the steering wheel, so not so much the button on the tablet, but passenger will not have a choice.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
That's the worst range calculation yet at 212 miles for the "270" version (138 / 65%).

The usual caveats about not knowing how it was driven, etc apply. But still.
I was thinking the same - not sure if its extended battery though in that car unless I missed that part

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Good point. Forgot there was a button on the left too. Yes, a tailgate button would be nice without going through the menus. We use the one on our Escapes occasionally.

Another one is parallel park assist. By the time we're in position to use it, it's usually too late and we've already crept up to the open space. So even with an actual button I still rarely use it.
Good points - I think they will be added in later year models - no reason to skip them or skimp on them

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
So I'm confused... what exactly is "E-Heat", and what is "before the car can make it's own heat"? I thought without a heat pump, BEVs always had to use electric heating?

Or does it mean only when plugged into a charger, and using charger power instead of battery power?
I asked this question on this forum some time ago - it was explained well but i cant explain now - my take away was its useful in colder climates and it can be turned off in warmer climates. As I am typing this I realize I am not answering your question :)

OP
OP
TheLight75

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
On the models I saw, there was a physical button located just above the license plate to pop the trunk open.
Sponsored