Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Great Pics! You’re right about the knob. It did feel cheap.
I had the opposite reaction. I liked the clicking of the knob and thought it was cool that you could see the screen through it. I do wonder how well it will hold up though.
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I made the same observation in my review of the car. Am hoping it is better in production cars. Missed opportunity since it will be used so much. Same with not having physical button to open trunk.
I am wondering if its possible on the larger main screen to create a shortcut tile that stays on the main screen and can be used to open the trunk - that way atleast we dont have to wade through screens or multiple key presses

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Like you can see on this picture "Full accessory power active", so most likely heat and defroster or other accessories where on because of the cold and rain, so visitors could be comfortable, so the rang you see in these cars while being park is to take with caution.
Let's hope. But even then, using up anything close to 68 miles of range for accessories seems pretty ? .

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am wondering if its possible on the larger main screen to create a shortcut tile that stays on the main screen and can be used to open the trunk - that way atleast we dont have to wade through screens or multiple key presses
I had that thought too. The ability to create "One-touch" icons from what would normally be multiple-touch menus. And maybe something like a toolbar (a 2nd line up from the bottom for custom icons).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I had the opposite reaction. I liked the clicking of the knob and thought it was cool that you could see the screen through it. I do wonder how well it will hold up though.
yes, I liked it too and didn't feel it was cheap. It is not a rheostat; as far as I understand it there are no electronics in it and it works just like moving your finger in a circular motion. I have no worries about it "breaking", although I guess the adhesive could fail and it could come off/

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
To me it is implied that the E-HEAT is the heating coil, and that the car will ALSO draw heat off of the battery/motor to warm the cabin. So, without the coil the cabin can be warmed off of battery/motor heat similar to an ICE - although I would expect it not to get that warm on a really cold day without the heating coil.
I agree. It sounds like the E-Heat button allows the user to turn off the PTC heater which is the accessory with the highest current draw.

The Focus Electric has 3 cooling loops that are able to function individually or together in any combination. So it is able to use battery and motor/electronics heat to warm the cabin. I fully expect the MME to have a similar or even improved system.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yes, I liked it too and didn't feel it was cheap. It is not a rheostat; as far as I understand it there are no electronics in it and it works just like moving your finger in a circular motion. I have no worries about it "breaking", although I guess the adhesive could fail and it could come off/
And I presume the screen on/off "button" in the middle of the knob is simply a touch point on the screen.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
And I presume the screen on/off "button" in the middle of the knob is simply a touch point on the screen.
If remember correctly, it turns off your music (whatever source you're using), but it leaves the screen on.

I didn't try long pressing it or anything. There must be a way to turn it off.

I do like the behavior of the power button turning the music off.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
IfI remember correctly, it turns off your music (whatever source you're using), but it leaves the screen on.

I didn't try long pressing it or anything. There must be a way to turn it off.

I do like the behavior of the power button turning the music off.
Yeah I tried that... The power symbol on the center of the volume knob turns the audio system on and off.

I think the knob can be pressed/clicked, but I didn't try that. Maybe that turns the screen off.

There's also a Calm Mode in one of the display options. I did try that. It leaves the display on but clears away almost all of the information and just shows a gentle gray gradient with maybe a small clock on it.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
How about "Hey Ford, Open the trunk" If it isn't already in the "Hey Ford" vocabulary seems like an easy OTA update. Should be easy to code in a 'do not open' error if gear selector is out of park.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
How about "Hey Ford, Open the trunk" If it isn't already in the "Hey Ford" vocabulary seems like an easy OTA update. Should be easy to code in a 'do not open' error if gear selector is out of park.
During my short time in the car, I found Hey Ford's abilities limited to infotainment. I'll try again next time but things like "Hey Ford, put me in unbridled mode" didn't seem to work. I didn't think to try "open the hatch".

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
During my short time in the car, I found Hey Ford's abilities limited to infotainment. I'll try again next time but things like "Hey Ford, put me in unbridled mode" didn't seem to work. I didn't think to try "open the hatch".
I'm very mixed about "Hey Ford." I almost never use the voice button with MFT today, except for when I'm asking for specific artists or songs to be played from the USB stick (it's tough to go through over 1200 songs on the touch screen while driving no matter how good the navigation is!) and for navigation destination requests. It just feels weird to me to be talking to a car that isn't nicknamed KITT. ? So I don't know how much I'll use it in the Mach-E, either. But, that said, the more it's able to do (and do reliably), the more likely I am to use it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm very mixed about "Hey Ford." I almost never use the voice button with MFT today, except for when I'm asking for specific artists or songs to be played from the USB stick (it's tough to go through over 1200 songs on the touch screen while driving no matter how good the navigation is!) and for navigation destination requests. It just feels weird to me to be talking to a car that isn't nicknamed KITT. ? So I don't know how much I'll use it in the Mach-E, either. But, that said, the more it's able to do (and do reliably), the more likely I am to use it.
You can name yours KITT if it makes you feel better.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I thought it was going to be weird too with my Model 3, but it's really nice.
Sponsored