Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
"Hey Frunk, open the Ford"
"damn it I did it again"
Actually, instead of going the Michael Knight route and calling it KITT I might go with Sam Jackson for the wakeup keyword.

"Hey M* F* open the trunk!"
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My only niggle about the interior quality relates to the volume knob on the screen: it feels like cheap plastic because it moves freely with loud clicks. It would have feel much more luxurious if the knob was metal and had more resistance combined with a firm/smooth (non-clicky) rotation.
That is exactly what I thought when I read it was made of "plastic" :confused:. Ask any audiophile how many plastic dials they have on their equipment and they will tell you zero. Shocked me a bit with the system they put in. Could have been a push on machined aluminium dial and still have kept the monitor replacement cost down. We like the feel of cranking a volume dial; but normally with power/fidelity it is not plastic. B&O most likely had no input into it and someone missed the mission memo. Think it is a glaring oops; but not a show stopper.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Think it is a glaring oops; but not a show stopper.
I don't buy luxury cars, so every car I have ever owned had a plastic volume dial. I've never found it to diminish my driving experience. The material the dial is made of is below #100 on the list of characteristics of the car that are important to me. I would guess that on the spectrum of people buying this car, few would list it higher than that on their lists.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Yes, the fob has a frunk button. I can confirm that the inside latch next to the door is mechanical. Considering the 12v battery and fuses are up there, you wouldn't want your only way in to be dependent on operating electronics.
Let’s not forget there’s what looks to be an electrical release inside the frunk.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Let’s not forget there’s what looks to be an electrical release inside the frunk.
Very useful after a wedgie and getting stuffed in the Frunk.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
That is exactly what I thought when I read it was made of "plastic" :confused:. Ask any audiophile how many plastic dials they have on their equipment and they will tell you zero. Shocked me a bit with the system they put in. Could have been a push on machined aluminium dial and still have kept the monitor replacement cost down. We like the feel of cranking a volume dial; but normally with power/fidelity it is not plastic. B&O most likely had no input into it and someone missed the mission memo. Think it is a glaring oops; but not a show stopper.
You don't want something that is electrically conductive, it could "short" out the touchscreen function. You could insulate it, but eventually that would degrade.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't buy luxury cars, so every car I have ever owned had a plastic volume dial. I've never found it to diminish my driving experience. The material the dial is made of is below #100 on the list of characteristics of the car that are important to me. I would guess that on the spectrum of people buying this car, few would list it higher than that on their lists.
Has every car you ever owned had a 10 speaker (inc sub) B&O sound system in it? Just saying; when you turn that dial the feel, balance and smoothness can add to the experience and be touch of class.

Not a big listener in my vehicle. I think there is a screen and steering wheel vol adjustment also (at most a bug with work around)? Not a biggy for me just like incorporating it would not have been. Overall durability and performance of the vehicle would be higher on my list; get me home so we can crank it there ;) That is all remote/keyboard now; not too much to do with dials.
Audiophiles also insist that $1000 Ethernet cables are a thing, so excuse me if, as an IT professional for over 20 years, I don't place any stock in what they say about, well, anything.

https://audiobacon.net/2019/11/02/the-jcat-signature-lan-a-1000-ethernet-cable/
Not all spend a lot on cables as the gain vs cost ratio does not pan out. Components have a much bigger impact. Your sub needing a dolly to move it will most likely have a bigger impact than the cable to it. Playing Flac thru foobar; AISO thru a Xonar Essence One muse's Balanced XLR Output would have a impact no matter what XLR cables ran from it. What you plug those cables into at the other end also has a bigger impact than that wire. I say you do not need to spend 1000's on cables for good sound. Fan boys may? IT comes with the profession in my office; is building and loading them since 95 longer than 20 years?
You don't want something that is electrically conductive, it could "short" out the touchscreen function. You could insulate it, but eventually that would degrade.
Good one. ?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
There's a Frunk release on the fob.
I was wondering about that, and I thought there was some back and forth as to whether the button was there. Good to hear.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Very useful after a wedgie and getting stuffed in the Frunk.
You could give someone a swirly too with the drain before you lock them in the Frunk . . . not that I would advocate that or anything.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Has every car you ever owned had a 10 speaker (inc sub) B&O sound system in it? Just saying; when you turn that dial the feel, balance and smoothness can add to the experience and be touch of class.

Not a big listener in my vehicle. I think there is a screen and steering wheel vol adjustment also (at most a bug with work around)? Not a biggy for me just like incorporating it would not have been. Overall durability and performance of the vehicle would be higher on my list; get me home so we can crank it there ;) That is all remote/keyboard now; not too much to do with dials.
Nope, and neither will my California Route 1 Mach E. Since I am not an audiophile I can't appreciate the need to crank the volume with a metal dial. You'll just have to reserve that particular thrill for your home sound system.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nope, and neither will my California Route 1 Mach E. Since I am not an audiophile I can't appreciate the need to crank the volume with a metal dial. You'll just have to reserve that particular thrill for your home sound system.
Personal digs are always gr8 for debating (#2, gogo #1). Hope the MME does not develop fan boys like Tesla. There is too much joking around about that here for that? Understand.
Sponsored