Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Personal digs are always gr8 for debating (#2, gogo #1). Hope the MME does not develop fan boys like Tesla. There is too much joking around about that here for that? Understand.
Hmmm. There is a distinction between denying all faults and evaluating the relative merits of those expressed. Certainly there are plenty of improvements that the MME could use, and we have no idea how well the thing performs. Complaining about the fact that there's a power button, that removing the divider in the frunk will leave small holes, or a plastic volume knob seem trivial to me. No personal dig intended any more than your implication that I might be a fan boy.

No worries, I shan't comment about such from you in the future.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Is the volume dial just stuck on? How does it actually work. Is it cut through the screen, or is there a little things that just mimicks a finger going in a circle on the screen. maybe it can be removed..ha..

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is the volume dial just stuck on? How does it actually work. Is it cut through the screen, or is there a little things that just mimicks a finger going in a circle on the screen. maybe it can be removed..ha..
It's simply glued on the screen, and acts as a finger over the top of a "dial" programmed into the touchscreen. It's really just a touchscreen function, and the dial is just there to make it an easier to adjust in a moving vehicle without looking and having to touch precisely. A rather brilliant idea.

I suspect it's plastic rather than metal just to keep it light. A heavy metal dial would surely be harder to keep glued onto the glass.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
hmmm, I wonder what it would be like to just use your finger there or just the steering wheel controls. It would probably look better without the dial. But, I'd probably break the screen removing it or maybe it leaves a little circle of glue... Maybe someone will yank one off at some point...

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
hmmm, I wonder what it would be like to just use your finger there or just the steering wheel controls. It would probably look better without the dial. But, I'd probably break the screen removing it or maybe it leaves a little circle of glue... Maybe someone will yank one off at some point...
The great advantage of the dial over a virtual dial or slider on the screen is it takes far less attention to grab a dial. You can turn it up and down without concern your finger might stray off the virtual control space.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since the touchscreen function is designed to work with the dial rather than a human finger, I suspect it wouldn't work very well to do that. Not sure if the touch spot(s) are actual dial shaped, or the dial acts more as a "clicker" that repeatedly touches +/- spots. Either way though, it's probably smaller touchspots than normally designed for a human finger.

Ford also suggested it might be used for more functions that just volume in the future via OTA.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The great advantage of the dial over a virtual dial or slider on the screen is it takes far less attention to grab a dial. You can turn it up and down without concern your finger might stray off the virtual control space.
Yep. I get that it looks a little goofy at first glace. Looks like a blemish on the "clean" look.

However the functional improvement is massive to me, and well worth it. I think we'll quickly get used to seeing it there, and quickly find how valuable of a feature it is.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
It does not look the best from what a normal flat screen would look like. When testing that dial was one of the most request items to have put into the mache.

Reaching over and trying to turn the volume up and down on the screen sometimes the person turns up to high. Or their phone volume is sitting too high and when it syncs you can do major damage to the speakers.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
It does not look the best from what a normal flat screen would look like. When testing that dial was one of the most request items to have put into the mache.

Reaching over and trying to turn the volume up and down on the screen sometimes the person turns up to high. Or their phone volume is sitting too high and when it syncs you can do major damage to the speakers.
As one of the early Sync users 10-12 years ago, I definitely missed the dials for basic functions as its just not intuitive to use the screen for everything. Glad to see a dial now and hope it is context sensitive. WHile the screen would look clean without the dial - the dial is more practical for me.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Its attached. It probably has contacts under it so the screen can sense movement. Probably just like the Microsoft Surface Dial.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
IT comes with the profession in my office; is building and loading them since 95 longer than 20 years?
95? there's a thread on here from a few months ago that make you starting there and me starting with WinNT 3.1 and WfW 3.11 (in a paid capacity at least, hence the "professional" part) look like we were started yesterday.

Personal digs are always gr8 for debating (#2, gogo #1). Hope the MME does not develop fan boys like Tesla. There is too much joking around about that here for that? Understand.
Someone's buying those $1,000 cables and calling themselves audiophiles.

And for what it's worth, you never said you counted yourself as such. You said "any audiophile" would complain about a plastic knob. I gave you my reason why I don't care what "any audiophile" thinks. If you don't want me to think that way about "any audiophile," go tell (your fellow apparently) audiophiles to stop buying $1,000 Ethernet cables.

That's not a personal attack; that's weighing someone's judgement and deciding that their opinion is meaningless to me.
Sponsored