Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. 010AABED-4564-437D-8183-3D72921032CF

I know most of you wouldn’t think about doing this, but I like to try things. I managed my vinyl striping myself. And for $35 in VVIVID matte black metallic vinyl, why not try it? If it doesn’t work, or doesn’t last, I’ll get the wheels powder coated and will only be out $35 and a few hours time. In the meantime, I was able to spend an afternoon messing with my car in my garage. My wife even came out to help a bit. So while it isn’t perfect, it’s a win in my book.

I worked one wheel at a time. Cleaned them well. Dried them. Wiped with isopropyl alcohol. Then I lay the vinyl on and applied it to the high points. On these wheels that’s the raised part about half way between the middle and the edge. I then smoothed the vinyl down toward the edge, heating to stretch it town and make sure it wasn’t wrinkled around the lip. Then, with a little more heating I was able to smooth the vinyl over the rest of the raised areas and the center cap. Finally, I just used a nice sharp scalpel to trim out the windows and around the bead with the tire. Some post heating will hopefully keep the adhesive set. I’ll see how long it lasts. If I get a month, I’ll be setting up some powder coating. If it lasts a year, maybe I’ll do it again in a different color. As it is, the black Matt metallic contrasts beautifully with the gloss black powder coating on the non-machined parts of the wheel. It’s hard to see in the photos but it looks really good in person.

So here are my before and after photos. The wheels themselves, on the car, and the car as a whole.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. 50140FF1-FB57-4032-99E7-B4938F02A4AC
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. EABC029B-4A93-4660-90CF-BAF857467C94
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. 413E6804-901B-4B4D-AC64-E67D900DC7C5
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. 377F43F5-14B6-4DA0-B61A-9775B815ECF1
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. CB40C378-3C3F-4768-A828-E5399CD0EE0D
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. 369DAE9A-9616-4EF6-85D3-1272D46462FF

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Looking forward to seeing what that looks like in the sunlight
I’ll get it out of the garage tomorrow and get a photo. It was getting dark when I finished this evening.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Looks great, love the after purchase modders out there. Ford built and designed it, and you made it your own! ?

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. 369DAE9A-9616-4EF6-85D3-1272D46462FF

I know most of you wouldn’t think about doing this, but I like to try things. I managed my vinyl striping myself. And for $35 in VVIVID matte black metallic vinyl, why not try it? If it doesn’t work, or doesn’t last, I’ll get the wheels powder coated and will only be out $35 and a few hours time. In the meantime, I was able to spend an afternoon messing with my car in my garage. My wife even came out to help a bit. So while it isn’t perfect, it’s a win in my book.

I worked one wheel at a time. Cleaned them well. Dried them. Wiped with isopropyl alcohol. Then I lay the vinyl on and applied it to the high points. On these wheels that’s the raised part about half way between the middle and the edge. I then smoothed the vinyl down toward the edge, heating to stretch it town and make sure it wasn’t wrinkled around the lip. Then, with a little more heating I was able to smooth the vinyl over the rest of the raised areas and the center cap. Finally, I just used a nice sharp scalpel to trim out the windows and around the bead with the tire. Some post heating will hopefully keep the adhesive set. I’ll see how long it lasts. If I get a month, I’ll be setting up some powder coating. If it lasts a year, maybe I’ll do it again in a different color. As it is, the black Matt metallic contrasts beautifully with the gloss black powder coating on the non-machined parts of the wheel. It’s hard to see in the photos but it looks really good in person.

So here are my before and after photos. The wheels themselves, on the car, and the car as a whole.

Sigh...another set of nice bright wheels gone over to the dark side.

MSP Mach E

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2013 Brammo Empulse R
Country flag
Looks fantastic....

You just convinced me to powder coat my wheels for next winter. And, confirmed I made the right color choice on the new summer wheels and tires on order....

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Interesting approach - I didn't realize you can do that. Great thinking (out of the box? :) . Do you have pictures of the middle stage of your wrapping? Like what it looked like before you used scalpel? And what lines did you use scalpel at? Right on the border between the flat surface and the glossy black areas?

Optional question. I know you painted your calipers - looks great. Could you please elaborate on why did you unmounted the calipers to paint? Wy you didn't painted them in a mounted position? Would not be easier just to cover all the non-painted areas and paint the calipers after that? You mentioned something about that bit I do not think you went into details. Thanks!

Looks good. I also have Shadow Black coming at the end of May. Like your stripes but have hard time to convince my wife to do that (though it's not her cat she still has a voice - on all subjects actually. :) She thinks it will look cheap - like a paper stripes.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Interesting approach - I didn't realize you can do that. Great thinking (out of the box? :) . Do you have pictures of the middle stage of your wrapping? Like what it looked like before you used scalpel? And what lines did you use scalpel at? Right on the border between the flat surface and the glossy black areas?

Optional question. I know you painted your calipers - looks great. Could you please elaborate on why did you unmounted the calipers to paint? Wy you didn't painted them in a mounted position? Would not be easier just to cover all the non-painted areas and paint the calipers after that? You mentioned something about that bit I do not think you went into details. Thanks!

Looks good. I also have Shadow Black coming at the end of May. Like your stripes but have hard time to convince my wife to do that (though it's not her cat she still has a voice - on all subjects actually. :) She thinks it will look cheap - like a paper stripes.
I didn’t take any photos part way through. A failing on my part. I got involved and kept going. I just ran the scalpel along the lines, following the edges between the part I wanted covered and the part I didn’t. It took a bit to get used to, but in the end, it was just laying the scalpel along the metal and letting it cut the edge.
When painting the calipers, the only real answer to why I dismounted them, was to get the rotor and backing plate out of my way. And because I’m horrible at masking. I know myself to know that I would have painted half my rotor.

Last edited:

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag

Let me know when you start a YouTube channel. What's next?!?

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Let me know when you start a YouTube channel. What's next?!?
I get all my wrap education from CKWraps YouTube channel.

I have neither the patience or skill it takes to do something like that. Great job, looks good!
I don’t have any skill either. But one can learn anything with YouTube, some general handiness, and the willingness to totally mess up and start over. I messed up the first wheel I wrapped. Took it off and started over. By the 4th wheel (3rd if you don’t count that I did the first twice) I was doing pretty well. Then the last wheel I got cocky and it turned out the worst of all of them.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
I admire your DIY spirit! Seriously, all your mods so far have looked great.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse