Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Looks good!!

How long before you swap out the tires for 235/50s ?
Depends on how long it takes to burn the tread off these. Ford gave them to me. I may as well get some use out of them.
Sponsored

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
010AABED-4564-437D-8183-3D72921032CF.jpeg

I know most of you wouldn’t think about doing this, but I like to try things. I managed my vinyl striping myself. And for $35 in VVIVID matte black metallic vinyl, why not try it? If it doesn’t work, or doesn’t last, I’ll get the wheels powder coated and will only be out $35 and a few hours time. In the meantime, I was able to spend an afternoon messing with my car in my garage. My wife even came out to help a bit. So while it isn’t perfect, it’s a win in my book.

I worked one wheel at a time. Cleaned them well. Dried them. Wiped with isopropyl alcohol. Then I lay the vinyl on and applied it to the high points. On these wheels that’s the raised part about half way between the middle and the edge. I then smoothed the vinyl down toward the edge, heating to stretch it town and make sure it wasn’t wrinkled around the lip. Then, with a little more heating I was able to smooth the vinyl over the rest of the raised areas and the center cap. Finally, I just used a nice sharp scalpel to trim out the windows and around the bead with the tire. Some post heating will hopefully keep the adhesive set. I’ll see how long it lasts. If I get a month, I’ll be setting up some powder coating. If it lasts a year, maybe I’ll do it again in a different color. As it is, the black Matt metallic contrasts beautifully with the gloss black powder coating on the non-machined parts of the wheel. It’s hard to see in the photos but it looks really good in person.

So here are my before and after photos. The wheels themselves, on the car, and the car as a whole.

50140FF1-FB57-4032-99E7-B4938F02A4AC.jpeg
EABC029B-4A93-4660-90CF-BAF857467C94.jpeg
413E6804-901B-4B4D-AC64-E67D900DC7C5.jpeg
377F43F5-14B6-4DA0-B61A-9775B815ECF1.jpeg
CB40C378-3C3F-4768-A828-E5399CD0EE0D.jpeg
369DAE9A-9616-4EF6-85D3-1272D46462FF.jpeg
Very cool. Nice.

Bimmerman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 328i Coupe, 2013 BMW X1
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
010AABED-4564-437D-8183-3D72921032CF.jpeg

I know most of you wouldn’t think about doing this, but I like to try things. I managed my vinyl striping myself. And for $35 in VVIVID matte black metallic vinyl, why not try it? If it doesn’t work, or doesn’t last, I’ll get the wheels powder coated and will only be out $35 and a few hours time. In the meantime, I was able to spend an afternoon messing with my car in my garage. My wife even came out to help a bit. So while it isn’t perfect, it’s a win in my book.

I worked one wheel at a time. Cleaned them well. Dried them. Wiped with isopropyl alcohol. Then I lay the vinyl on and applied it to the high points. On these wheels that’s the raised part about half way between the middle and the edge. I then smoothed the vinyl down toward the edge, heating to stretch it town and make sure it wasn’t wrinkled around the lip. Then, with a little more heating I was able to smooth the vinyl over the rest of the raised areas and the center cap. Finally, I just used a nice sharp scalpel to trim out the windows and around the bead with the tire. Some post heating will hopefully keep the adhesive set. I’ll see how long it lasts. If I get a month, I’ll be setting up some powder coating. If it lasts a year, maybe I’ll do it again in a different color. As it is, the black Matt metallic contrasts beautifully with the gloss black powder coating on the non-machined parts of the wheel. It’s hard to see in the photos but it looks really good in person.

So here are my before and after photos. The wheels themselves, on the car, and the car as a whole.

50140FF1-FB57-4032-99E7-B4938F02A4AC.jpeg
EABC029B-4A93-4660-90CF-BAF857467C94.jpeg
413E6804-901B-4B4D-AC64-E67D900DC7C5.jpeg
377F43F5-14B6-4DA0-B61A-9775B815ECF1.jpeg
CB40C378-3C3F-4768-A828-E5399CD0EE0D.jpeg
369DAE9A-9616-4EF6-85D3-1272D46462FF.jpeg
Nicely done, looks great!

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Thank You. It’s holding up pretty well too.
I was just about to ask how they were doing. Give us an update in a week or two por favor!

I just saw a rendering of copper rims on a silver Mach-e, and thought maybe copper vinyl would be nice.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Just to chime in. I’ve had vinyl on my VW GTI wheels for 3 years now and they’re only just now starting to really show some minor wear. I think you’ll be ok provided you used good vinyl

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I was just about to ask how they were doing. Give us an update in a week or two por favor!

I just saw a rendering of copper rims on a silver Mach-e, and thought maybe copper vinyl would be nice.
I was actually just looking at them yesterday and it still looks new. I came back to this thread and saw that it had only been about 10 days since my last update. So I thought I better wait longer.
But, since you asked, a little over two weeks. One trip through the car wash. They still look great.
And copper vinyl would be bad ass. They already have a machined silver look. Turning that copper would be sweet. It would clash with my black and red or I’d order some copper vinyl NOW.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Just to chime in. I’ve had vinyl on my VW GTI wheels for 3 years now and they’re only just now starting to really show some minor wear. I think you’ll be ok provided you used good vinyl
I was actually just looking at them yesterday and it still looks new. I came back to this thread and saw that it had only been about 10 days since my last update. So I thought I better wait longer.
But, since you asked, a little over two weeks. One trip through the car wash. They still look great.
And copper vinyl would be bad ass. They already have a machined silver look. Turning that copper would be sweet. It would clash with my black and red or I’d order some copper vinyl NOW.
Thanks for trying this - I never would have thought it could work this well. But now, I may try it when mine arrives. I like that it isn't permanent so if I don't like it, it can be easily fixed. Or can be removed before selling the car.

If you have to replace the tires, won't that process tear up the vinyl on the edges?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
If you have to replace the tires, won't that process tear up the vinyl on the edges?
Chances are it would scuff the edges too badly and you would have to reapply. I haven’t had to replace tires yet but based on how mine are wearing I would say they wouldn’t survive

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Chances are it would scuff the edges too badly and you would have to reapply. I haven’t had to replace tires yet but based on how mine are wearing I would say they wouldn’t survive

New tires would certainly mean new vinyl as well. Or a chance to have them powder coated while the tires are off. But for how often I buy new tires, another $35-40 in vinyl isn’t a bad investment at all.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I ordered a Premium AWD Dark Matter Gray which should arrive in 100 months or so. Or maybe by October. We will see. In the meantime, I get lots of time to plan. I think dark gray on the silver face (instead of black) will look especially good with the paint color. Using vinyl it will be fairly easy to do, but I image paint will be harder and more costly. And more permanent.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. Grey Mach-E Standard Wheels with color mods

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I ordered a Premium AWD Dark Matter Gray which should arrive in 100 months or so. Or maybe by October. We will see. In the meantime, I get lots of time to plan. I think dark gray on the silver face (instead of black) will look especially good with the paint color. Using vinyl it will be fairly easy to do, but I image paint will be harder and more costly. And more permanent.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Vinyl blackout for OEM wheels. Grey Mach-E Standard Wheels with color mods
I agree entirely. Grey vinyl over the machined parts and leaving the black parts of the rims black would be great. That’s exactly what I would have done had I been able to find a carbonized grey when I was looking.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag

Lemme know if you get the look from my avatar. I can't pull the trigger on being that bold yet.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Lemme know if you get the look from my avatar. I can't pull the trigger on being that bold yet.
I would definitely do that. Not sure I could do that with vinyl. But I like the white / copper look.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I would definitely do that. Not sure I could do that with vinyl. But I like the white / copper look.
It's silver but that graphic made it look really light
Sponsored